1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Old Poetry

Discussion in 'BoM Blogs' started by Dice, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Tonight I discovered and old notebook with a collection of poetry from a number of years back. Some of it makes me uncomfortable. The earlier writing has a melodramatic immaturity that sometimes makes me cringe. I know why I destroyed a lot of my journals from my teenage years. The stuff was not as good as I had thought when I wrote it.

I do have some later poetry that has substance. These are some of the writings I did while I was immersed in the world of art. They are written from about age 22 to 28. I'll put them chronologically. It's only a small selection.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Untitled

And this is true
    As time goes by and I try
    How I try
    To not think about you
    Well,
    I still do

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I lived in a wonderful old and small apartment on Whyte Ave. which is one of the creative districts in my city. When I was evicted because they decided to tear it down I wrote this about the place.

Uneuthanasia

This old building is awaiting diagnosis
    though euthanasia is far too likely
    in a world that
    disregards the old and charmed
    and worships
    preassembled lego walls
    with pretty paper-doll people to divide them
    So maybe some individuals
    will be chucked out
    into the electric network,
    the city's oceans
    to be carried away on the tides,
    while the ancient mother
    who's womb has felt the comings and goings
    of the lives that she has wrapped her arms around
    has her sides smashed in and her floors ripped out
    And the yellowing plaster
    that has supported paintings and details
    while learning secrets with a silent tongue,
    will be a pile of rubble
    to be hauled away

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't remember who this was about

Untitled

Dark Eyes
    Warm, erotic, unexpected
    Like a touch in an intimate spot
    By a stranger

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I found this old poem interesting because I think it still applies in some way to how I think

Perspective

Blind artist dances through wreckage
    noticing only where the light catches
    refusing to see the broken glass
    but still manages not to get cut by it
    Elated images
    crawl through shadowy tunnels
    searching for shadowy answers
    and getting only half-lit questions
    The eternal debate
    is that between right and wrong
    yes, no, maybe depending on the way you look at it
    and the external debate
    is what appears outside the eye
    where the heart doesn't reach and the arms go numb
    Images
    the place of retreat
    the birds-eye viewpoint
    the perspective
    a way of filtering out the hard realities
    or at least filtering through them
    so they become
    no longer a threat

-----------------------------------------------------------------

This one is about a bad habit I used to have with a particular herb.

Dialog With the Demon

He takes me by the hand in such a gentle manner
    sensual and forgiving
    Red eyes and blue skin
    Soft lipped smile concealing sharp teeth
    "Just join me for a little while."
    he says
    My skin goes numb where he touches me
    and I go elsewhere
    The kiss is breathed into me
    He's with me
    Never far enough to break free from
    Always coaxing
    So supportive that I become a body in suspended clothing
    And he is the fulcrum I hang my weight upon
    I have no choice but to resurrect his fading form
    for fear my morning ritual
    will be empty without him
    for fear I will have no-one to come home to
    when I finish work

2. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    I kind of like your shorter ones for 'impact,' but I do think your longer ones have an interesting form/meter/what-have-you. I guess I've never been too much of a poetry fan though ... most times I seem not to get it, which is probably more my own shortcoming than the writer's.

(Hope you don't mind me sharing an observation here - )

Song lyrics are IMO like a simplified version of poetry. They're usually quite basic when read apart from the music they accompany (and oftentimes sound kind of silly, actually). Not surprisingly, sometimes I 'get' those, but I think that's easier ... songs are like poems with a soundtrack. The job of a regular poet seems much harder because you have to carry all the weight yourself.

Anyway, nice work. Post a new one sometime. :)

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I want to see some of that melodramatic immaturity. I always find what the young think is so important very interesting. :)

4. Dice

Media:
    @Gaear - I`m not a poet, it`s just self indulgence.

It`s funny how music can make poetry much better sometimes. *I`m running the song of Maxwell`s Silver Hammer by the Beatles through my head.* Now THAT is poetry! :lol:

@Blackthorne - I'm pretty sure I wouldn't show anyone that old stuff it would be like running through the street naked.

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hehe, maybe. But you're pretty much a different person when you're young, so it'd be like someone you knew once running through the street naked :)

6. Dice

Media:
    Well now BT, I'm sure I wouldn't want to put some person I used to know through that kind of humiliation but I'll ask her if I run into her :D.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.