1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Old monitor is ticking, should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by SlickRCBD, May 14, 2023.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I just shut off my old Win98SE/XP computer while getting read for bed. I'd been playing an old game on it and hadn't bothered to transfer it to a newer computer. Afterwards I heard a faint ticking sound.
    I finally figured out it was coming from the monitor and pressing the power button on the front stopped it.
    Should I be worried about this? I never heard this before, and it is nearly a quarter century old.

pic:

I honestly can't recall what the model is called, and the thing not only weighs 45lbs, but the cords don't have a lot of give so pulling it out to see the model number on the back is would be a PITA, if it is necessary I can do so however. I just have to disconnect the VGA cable before I turn it around as it only has about 3-4" of slack. Trouble is the way the desk is set up with the monitor under a shelf, I have to lift with my back, not my knees. Otherwise it would be less of an issue.

Note that this pic is a couple years old, but there isn't any significant difference that you could see in how things look now.

Last edited: May 15, 2023
  2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hard to say, but I'm guessing that in that quarter century you've never opened it up to clean it out. Maybe take off the back and give it a good dusting and while you're at it see if there's anything that looks funny.

3. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    Be careful when you do open it up! Those old transistors can carry a lot of electricity and give you a nasty jolt if you touch them!

I remember these ticking noises from old CRT monitors and as far as I know, it never seemed to be an issue. I always though it was due to the heat dissipating and the parts settling.

4. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've heard it make a static crackling noise after turning off the power bars and turning them on later if the lights are flickering during a thunderstorm (and ComEd used to be notorious for always losing power during t-storms until they completed a major infrastructure upgrade at the start of the 21st century, but that wasn't finished until a year or two after getting the monitor. Things have improved GREATLY since the '80s or '90s with power outages, but ComEd's poor reputation still lingers. Then again, they do do stuff like bribery), but it's odd I've never heard the ticking noise in 23 years.
    It made the same static noise when I turned it on with the power button this evening.
    I've never actually opened it up, but I have blown out the vents about every 3-5 years. I'm not even sure how to open it, I don't see any screws or other access panels from the visible sides (see the above pic). They would have to be on the bottom or the back.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.