1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Oh No! Look Who's Naked In the Airport ...

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Kitrax, Jun 27, 2003.

1. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I second that! :D

2. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Ahm, one of the security responsibles of the implementation of that "scanner" volunteered in front of the press and showed herself off. Comment:"Through this we all look naked and fat."

How big is the percentage of people you do not want to see naked ?

oh god, I am blind !! :sick: :jawdrop: :help: :mommy:

3. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Thank goodness I don't fly!

I completely disagree with it. I am very self concsious and paranoid - so it may just be that. But I think it is indecent and what is to stop the people working there take pictures and distribute them?

Generally I think the idea sucks.

I mean, I usually carry a stick around with me because I'm always worried about people following me - they'd probably make me leave it behind or something :(

4. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Would you rather have a security guy feel you up and down?

The airport staff would probably have very strict access to the pictures and would only print off a copy if there were an incident. The machines probably won't keep the pictures saved for more than a day anyways... :rolling:

5. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I've been pulled aside in airports more times than I can even begin to remember. The whole idea that the airport pat down is intrusive is way, WAY, overblown. You take a coat off if you have one, they check your pant legs and shirt with a scanner, you take your shoes off and they scan em, and you roll down your belt buckle. Takes a couple of minutes, they don't run their hands around you, and it isn't a big deal.

Now, I'm sure there are some occurrences where somebody is a jerk and takes it too far. Those are the exceptions that prove the rule however and not only are the unprofessional but possibly illegal. With millions of passengers there are a handful of jerks - it'll happen like it'll happen in any other part of life.

That's my 2 cents.

6. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Kitrax - Any idiot who tries to feel me can expect a world of pain. And I have excuses to get past some things anyway.

7. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

What so you mean we could give you some gun or something and you'd be able to get on a plane without been searched.
    :hmm: :idea:

It really wouldn't worry me that security system (as I've already said but I have another reason), it's not we'd know it is there would we?
    And you can't worry about something you don't know.

8. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

@ 8people

I don't know where you're from, but i take it you've never been to a footballmatch ?

What i'm trying to say is: if they wanna frisk you, they'll frisk you, wheter you act like a tough guy or not. And if you don't cooperate, it will be YOU who'll be in a world of pain, trust me on this.

9. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It is not the intrusiveness of the pat down that is annoying, it is the time it takes. Especially as they do it a couple of times before they let you on the plane.

@8people: You are just being silly, you have no power at all in such a situation. If oyu are unable to handle it you will have to stay where you are and not fly anywhere.

[ June 29, 2003, 21:44: Message edited by: joacqin ]

10. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    This is further proof that your mother is right when she insists that you wear clean underwear with no holes whenever you leave the house!

11. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I think that scanning is not only *less* intrusive compared to manual body searching, it's also more time efficient. In the end it'll save you time checking in. Wee, they can see you naked! And? You show yourself like to the doctor. And mind, the scanner makes you look worse than you are.

And when done in a well working system, also checking the other side of access to the aircraft - like who's cleaning and taking care nothing is smuggled in the aircraft that's even better.

Scanning is a security check I'm willing to accept. Heck, whenever I go to court to learn there I get myself and my bag searched. So what?

But ... when I fly to the US one day, maybe I'll should make some situps before ... to get a flatter belly, to look good on scanner ... :1eye:

12. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    In the end I would gladly accept any security measure unless it totally sucks, like a mandatory full body/cavity search. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if one day they do a criminal background check, a credit check, medical history checks, and an interrogation before letting you on to a plane...and you know what? If that's what it's going to take to keep us safe, I'll support it! :rolling:

13. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

This disgusts me, the principle of the thing is that only your significant other or lovers get to se you naked. Granted there are some people who prefer otherwise but the general point is that this seems to be taking it too far, right next to the seat mounted camera that records your every movement. There is a point where you have to draw the line, granted I still need to fly which means that I have to endure this, but I won't like it.

14. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~Benjamin Franklin

Just something to think about...

15. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Good point. Passenger safety checks are unfortunately unavoidable today, so IMO they are a limitation I am willing to accept - as I feel that it doesn't touch my essential freedoms.

However, there can always be the step too far. The renowned Patriot Bills I and II are striking examples, just like that texan law draft on "ecological terror". Detention without trial for suspected terrorists?

Gvt outsourcing activities illegal to it to privates not bound to civil liberties and constitutional rights is another concerning point. Or when the gvt is restricted in gathering intel about a person - why not go to a private venture and ask them to do it for you and then buy the results?

" *We* didn't infringe your counstitutional rights to get hands on this, wink, wink ... we only bought that stuff on the free market, he-he :roll: :spin: "

[ June 30, 2003, 14:46: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

16. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I really couldn't care less. Especially if it works. The airports will be a lot safer.

17. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I don't mind being scanned this way as long as the picture of my body doesn't end up in an internet gay-lovers site, although i don't believe it will be very efficient since the terrorists and big drug smugglers are not usually carrying anything illegal on them, they are better organized.
    I think it will have more impact on small time criminals and not to mention the fact that they can again stop you for a hand search even for the suspicion that the little bag with the sweets you are carrying might be drugs.
    And not to mention that it is a little illegal since noone can search you without your permission and i don't think they will ask us :(

18. Sojourner Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Yes, they do.

Great (NOT). So they're going to use something that harms unborns.

19. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] I wonder if this would violate the Right of Privacy?

Of course, given that we are in a state of war, I can see any challenge to the Supreme Court failing.

20. Silverwolf86 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Okay, I'm a totally modest person and usually extremely conservative but even I don't have issues with this idea so long as it's done properly. I mean first off, besides it being irresponsible and immature of the security guards to "take pictures and post them on the internet" -- it'd be heavily illegal. Secondly, even if they did, they'd try to do it only of supermodels because they'd want to do as few people as possible so as to avoid getting caught. And thirdly, it makes people look slightly fat anyways. So my entire point is, the world needs to grow up and be a little bit more mature about things. :rolleyes:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.