1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Oh no, a game with good graphics :(

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Person_Persival, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Person_Persival Banned

Poor me, I cant play this game cause its too dodgey on my pc :( It actually runs perfect on full zoom...but uh, this will seem really strange, I can even watch the cinematics cause its that bad. Which i find strange
    I have:
    450mhz overclocked to 532
    128ram
    Nvidia TNT2 M64 32meg
    Full Installation
    Win 98

Any help? I run on compatibility mode/or 16bit textures and its still pretty dodgey.
    What can I do? :(

2. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

well, I suppose your texture-quality is bad. I am afraid the only solution is getting a faster processor, a new videocard and another 128 mb of Ram :) However you might try if you can still run the game with higher texture-quality, also try another resolution.

3. Syrel Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] it's gets a little dodgy on my computer too but i find that if i close everything else on my computer so that neverwinter is basicly the only thing running then it runs good.
    make sure you defrag your harddrive often cause this can cause it to be dodgy too.
    but close aplications running in the background like virus checkers cause they will take up ram and system resources and if you are boarderline then it will make a difference.
    it looks like your comp meets min specks so try these things
    run scan disk
    run defrag
    close all programs you don't need (your sys tray should be almost empty)
    close programs like icq and aol mesanger as well as virus checkers
    when you hit control-alt-delete there is a list of programs running. you only really need systray, explorer, and possibly 1-2 others depending on your computer. close any program that you know you don't need running don't just close them all cause some of them may be needed to run your computer :D
    change your res to 800X600 if it isn't already.
    after doing all that you should be able to play if not I think you might want to call tech support :p

I'm running 750mhz 396RAM sis315 video card 128meg win 98 but i still close everything cause it runs better.. I also have alot of stuff that runs in the background of my computer that doesn't need to be on when i'm playing :)

[This message has been edited by Syrel (edited July 02, 2002).]

4. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] @Headbanger
    128MB is the recommended amount for Win98, it's not the "minimum" so (without the benefit of having the game) I think 128 MB is enough.

My first suspicion in case of problems with NWN would be the graphics card and possibly the processor if it was near the minimum requirements.

5. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] The cinema sequences stutter and hack. Sound can't be made out etc.
    I have all the 'Reccomended Stuff'.
    800mhz Athol etc etc
    What's goin on?
    Help! Btw, the game and the NWN/Bioware/Atari ones run fine.

6. Syrel Gems: 6/31

check your drivers for you sound card.
    make sure you sound card is 100% direct x 8+ compatible.
    the movies on my system don't run real smooth either but i don't really care cause the game works fine.
    although i do find that the first time the movie runs it doesn't run smooth but if i view through the movies option on the main menu it works perfect.

7. Person_Persival Banned

Thnx for your help Syrel, I ran scan disk which fixed numerous errors, and defraged (which took 24hours+) :p
    Anyway NWN runs OK, but still not perfect but its a huge improvment, still the cinematics are crappy, and if it dont work on that guys pc with 800mhz, i guess I have no chance in hell. I tried the cinematics on my 733, still dodgey, but watchable...well half watchable.

Thnx guys, may my monk reign supreme

8. Syrel Gems: 6/31

[​IMG] 24hours+ for defrag :eek: that was a hurting computer i'm surprised it even ran anything :p
    in the future you should defrag at least once a month (more if you do alot of things on your computer)
    it shouldn't take very long (mabye 1-2 hours) next time you do it. (depending on size of your harddrive of course :)
    make sure your screen saver is turned off cause that will slow defrag down alot.

9. Person_Persival Banned

Really 1-2 hours? Jeez
    Its a 20gig HD, whats with NWN neway, a game 3years in the making doesent work smoothly on pcs bought a year/half ago? :p Whats the deal with that

10. Izlude120 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

:book:I had to download a lot and change all my settings just to gewt the game to run. I hope im allowed to buy my own comp.

11. Syrel Gems: 6/31

[​IMG] one big reason games like Neverwinter don't always run smooth on peoples computer is because they are tested on computers with nothing else on them IE a clean drive with windows and required drivers.
    they don't take into consideration all the different stuff people have on their computers that often run in the background sucking down resources ane memory. (and in reality they would have a hell of time even triing to)
    having things like ICQ or realplayer suck down resources even when not in use (unless you have gone out of your way to stop them)

it's like microsoft they test windows with nothing else installed. and yes if all you do with windows is use wordpad and paint it should never crash :p

So basicly what it comes down to is Beta testers and their systems.
    and lets face it most beta testers have their computers tweeked for gaming alot more then the average person that buys a game to play it.
    The more you know about your computer the easier it is to compensate for problems that may arise (although some things are just beyond help :rolleyes: (like windows)

other things that can speed up games is changing the virtual memory settings or changing the cache size. you can find tutorials on how to do this online just search for it. smaller cache is better for games. although maynot be better for your overall computer use. if it is your computer and what you mostly do with it is play games you may want to look for a tutorial on how to tweek your system for playing games. by default your computer is set up as a genral PC for doing trivial things like surfing the web and such.

*note DO NOT CHANGE ANY SYSTEM SETTINGS UNLESS A) YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING
    AND B) IT'S YOUR COMPUTER
    :) just in case someone does something stupid i don't want you to blame me :lol:

12. Enthasius Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Lets face it, for todays games, if you don't keep up to date on your disk de-frag, your computer will suffer.

I didn't de-frag for two weeks, and my pc suddenly begun to act like it had a virus...turns out that after a single file crash, it caused several files to go AWOL, so I ended up having to wipe loads of stuff, and re-installing it. Thankfully, NWN was unscathed besides the jerkyness it had suffered prior to the disk clean-up. May this be a warning to anyone who is just in the boundry's of the system specs on games.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.