1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Official EURO2004 Thread

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Register, Jun 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Yeah, if Portugal doesn't win, chances are that they are pretty much screwed. They practically have to win against Russia and even if they do and Greece lose against Spain, Greece will probably win against Greece and Portugal's chances are gone anyway.

My guess how that group's game will end:

Portugal - Russia: 2-1
    Spain - Greece: 1-1
    Portugal - Spain: 1-3
    Greece - Russia: 2-0

That will make this table:
    TEAM: Won, Draw, Lost, Goals, Goals against, Points
    Spain: 2-1-0 5-2 7
    Greece: 2-1-0 5-2 7
    Portugal: 1-0-2 4-6 3
    Russia: 0-0-3 1-5 0

Just mu guess, and it is pretty much possible.

2. ToTaL Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

We suck, as always... Croatia :mad:

3. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Even though the subjects moved on, I have to rub it in Englands face... BWAHAHAHAHA!!! (Sorry, Scotland didn't get in, so watching England lose is really quite nice. ;) )

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    ZIZOU ZIZOU ZIZOU!!!

Only the worlds greatest player can be complete crap for 91 minutes and still score two goals to win the game.

The game was not a good one, extremely slow paced and with few chances for scoring. France battered and battered ineffectively at a collected and well playing English defence. I must say I am impressed with Ledley King. Otherwise Rooney was easily man of the match. Lizarazu was really the only Frenchman who was really trying to do something offensively.

5. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I was impressed with King too, he did everything right except relying on three of his teammates, namely Heshky, Gerrard and Beckham.

I didn't think the game was a bad one, it wasn't extremely slow paced and the France Midfield did it's job, the only problem was the the last pass. There weren't any, and the fact that Zidane scored out of two 'dead' moments is classy but it wasn't deserved when analysing the whole game. England had the wall standing and there weren't any crack in it.

6. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Can someone explain the hype around Rooney ? Imo, he's a hardworking, fast young guy, who plays with a lot of heart, but that's about it. He's not an exceptional talent, has an ugly technique, and an attitude that will bring him lots of yellow and red cards in the future.

I recall England had a similar guy like that in the past. His name was Gascoigne. He came fast, only to die like a candle in the wind.

7. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

That really says it all. Gascoigne was brillant, fantastic. Mad as hell, granted, but still brillant. Rooney is of the same stock. Massive, powerful, and yet with an exceptional feeling for the game and good instinct for dangerous situations. You saw what he did just before he earned that penalty Beckham wasted? You call that an ugly technique? And man, he's still that young...

Personally, I'd trade all of our german strikers for him. I'd even throw in Kahn.

8. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Being able to run really fast doesn't mean he has good technique. Compared to players like Henry and Bergkamp he looks like a caveman. And his type of play obviously doesn't allow him to go the full 90 minutes, they had to take him out because he was totally exhausted, which means that tactically he has much to learn as well.

Mind you, i think he IS a talented player, but not worth all the hype around him. A player like that young Spanish striker, Torres, already makes a much better impression than Rooney.

9. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

joacqin wrote:
    I totally agree.

If not for the remarkable end of the game it would have been just another quickly forgotten mediocre game.

10. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

I cannot agree, I as a neutral viewer found myself on the edge of my seat many times. Sure the quality of the game wasn't that good but even without the last penalty it was one heck of clash between giants.

11. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Manchester Guardian hires Boo to pick its Euro 2004 matches!

(or perhaps Boo after being stolen and renamed by Jan...)

12. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm still fuming.

Still not sunk in I don't think.

To out-play the red hot favourites for 90 mins only to lose to 2 minutes of luck and a missed penalty is unbelievably gutting.

So many positives can be taken out of this game though and it only gives me more confidence that we can win this tournament. Zidanes free-kick was pure quality. Although you just can't give free-kicks away in those kind of positions against a team that counts Zidane amongst it's number. The peno, I ca't blame anyone. It's no good pointing fingers. The team fell asleep at the wrong time. It wouldn'thappen in a knock out stage.

Basically we lost the game through 2 minutes of luck (how the ref counted - was it 4? - extra minutes, I don't though... the game was flowing). I only fear Italy (watching the Denmark - Italy now).

After sifting through so many, ill-informed, stupid, uneducated, poorly thought out posts in this thread a few stick out.

@ Scottish guy: Why do Welsh and Scottish always love to see England lose? It's something I can only account to jealousy. On the other foot, whenever a home nation plays a game, England are united behind them. Ah well, leave you guys with your petty attitudes, no skin off my nose.

@ Caleb (aka, the only guy on these boards with an ounce of football knowledge): I'm glad you have taken the viewpoint you have. England were so unlucky not to win that match it's hardly believable. Think of all the rotten ways to lose a footy match and that ranks amongst the worst.

Gutted at the amazingly unfortunate result. But pleased at the performance and confident we can beat at least whoever we meet in the Quarters. Most likely to be Spain, but I feel we have the game to beat these. I just hope Torres doesn't start.

13. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Denmark-Italy

Battle between goal keepers. Really nice match to watch with good oppurtunities for both parties and brilliant goal keeping by buffon and sorensen. I felt that Denmark should have won the match but failed at scoring a goal, Italy didn't play so good and seemed to rely on Totti alone.

Sweden VS Bulgary: 2 - 2 prognosis

[ June 14, 2004, 23:38: Message edited by: Apeman ]

14. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Argh that dk ita game bored me to death

15. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Italy have an embarrassment of keepers.

Buffon
    Toldo
    Peruzzi
    and a few more...

Just wish they could lend us one! So we don't have to play Calamity James :lol:

16. Register Gems: 29/31

After watching the Italy-Denmark game, I must say that I am terribly dissapointed in the Italian play. Why wasn't Cassano in the starting eleven instead of Del Piero? Why wasn't Di Vaio up front instead of Vieri? Why, oh why, didn't they RUN FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. You don't win a freaking game by standing around. I hope Italy takes home the gold, but with this kind of play, they should be happy to advance from the group stage.

17. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Seeing as Cassono was awful when he got in I think it was a good choice to not let him play from start. Otherwise it was a normal first game for Italy. They are extremely slow started and a bit arrogant.

The first half of our game against Bulgaria looks both good and bad, the good is that Sweden is ahead with 1-0 the bad is that Bulgaria has been the better team and that our defence looks a bit shaky.

18. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Offside trap in midfield, good choice. So far away from your keeper, leave him wide open, once a player breaks through the keeper will be half stunned waiting for the linesman and too slow to react for the coming player not to mention a pair of them.

By the way, buffon is french, no?

19. Register Gems: 29/31

Buffon is Italian, otherwise he wouldn't play in the Italian team. :D

Now, the Sweden-Bulgaria game, that is one game you should be watching. Best one in Euro 2004 so far.

3-0 now. Will it be a repeat of the 4-0 game 1994?

20. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Oh well, after enjoying that France - England thriller (what a great game), we can now look forward to Germany v Netherlands. There are plenty of Dutch and German people floating around these Boards. How do you guys rate your prospects? Holland look good and but the Germans often seem to pull something out of the bag for the big games. And what is Patrick Kluivert raving on about?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.