1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Oblivion - Advice for Mods and Expansions

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls 1-4' started by Death Rabbit, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've enjoyed the OC, usually playing as a light-armor wearing sniper/tank with a little healing magic (basically, a Ranger). I've been hesitant to pick up the expansions or download any mods. Mainly because of the price.

What do they add? Are they worth it? What mods etc. do you recommend?

Thanks

2. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Which game are you talking about, Oblivion or Morrowind?
    Either way, I'd get the GotY edition of the game. They're quite cheap by now, even for Oblivion, and have both expansions (this goes for both Oblivion and Morrowind) included.

As for mods, we'll need to know which game you're actually referring to.

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Sorry - Oblivion. I never liked Morrowind and gave that to Falstaff. He seemed to have liked it, so all's well. :)

Both expansions for Oblivion (in any of my local stores) are either $20 or $30 each.

4. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I liked both the official expansion packs. Knights of the Nine is fun but short; still it comes with several additional add-ons; Shivering Isles was interesting, fun and well-worth the price.

The mods are free at TES.Nexus, and it's a great site, with descriptions, reviews, instructions, and screen shots of hundreds of mods. It's very nicely done. You can download, companions, armour, weapons and expansions. Glenvar Castle is very cool.

5. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The official expansions are good and for many of the newer user mods you will need Shivering Isles.

Of course I recommend the Cut now called DC CUT mods. They are well made, have an on going support team and are constantly being worked on and added to. See my thread on them for la link.

Yes, Glenvar Castle is very good and iirc you don't need SI. It is different from vanilla Oblivion in that you don't get much in the way of hand holding. You have to think.

There are so many mods that it is hard to recommend them especially without knowing what type of game you play.

Just with the official mods you have hours more of play and you can use a current game and not need to start a new one.
    Do you mods that add eye candy, more people to the cities and country sides, weapons etc, players houses or quest mods? There are mods that tweat the game in a variety of ways.

If you want better fighting I recommend Deadly Reflex found on Tesnexus.

If you want the Unoficial Oblivion Patch be sure to install it before you install any user mods. I think but am not sure that it should be installed after the official expansions and plug-ins.

You might be better off getting GOTY which is available from Amazon through SP. More cost effective.

6. Death Rabbit

Media:
    I may do that. The kinds of mods I like are of course quest mods, but I'm kind of a cool-new-item whore, so anything like that is good.

Do the official expansions add any new Character Creation options?

7. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    AFAIK know the official expansions do not add any new character creation options. I have noticed that there are a few user mods that do but I haven't tried them. There are also user mods that change the appearance of the characters but again I have not used them unless they are incorporated into a mod. I tried one once because it was recommended by Sloth for use with her mods and ended up losing the lower part of peoples bodies. It conflicted with another mod I was using.

There are many mods that add new items.

Remember when adding user mods do it slowly. That way if you have problems you do where to look. Be very careful when adding overhausls. I have only used Francesco's and CUO. Oh, I guess M.O.E., Modular Oblivion Enhanced, is an overhaul, sort of. It was one of the very first mods I added and I like it because it is modular and you can choose what you want.

"your mission is to find mods that interest you. Should you decided to do so I will be happy to give you my opinion, assuming I know anything about the mod."

Good luck.

8. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.