1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Obituary: Rev Jerry Falwell...

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Tiamat, May 15, 2007.

1. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, but that doesn't mean his behaviour was acceptable.

2. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I get called a Fundamentalist here, and even I had theological differences with Falwell and am repulsed by the extremism of the WBC. With both, they forgot the joy that Christians ought to feel to know that God loves them, and that their sins can be forgiven. They should be happy at the prospect of eternity in a paradisical kingdom with their loved ones around. I find that the "positive side" of Christianity is easily lost, and the "Thou Shalt Not" gets railed on. I believe myself to be a Christian, but to hear what these people are saying, I wonder why anyone would follow that idea of Christianity...

3. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Falwell on Phelps:
    and somewhat surprising, Larry Flynt on Falwell:
    If you like, you can read on here.

4. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    T2, did I give the impression that I was looking for an anti-religion poster child? Because I'm not. Just to be clear.

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    AM: The comment was a general comment and not directed at anyone in particular.

I didn't care at all for Falwell, but there are a lot worse people out there.

6. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    In honor of Jerry, Newt had this to say at a speech he gave this weekend at Liberty Univeristy:

I wonder what Newt thinks of religious "radicals?" :hmm:

7. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

@Rallymama: heh, the comic was fun. although I prefer Oliphant in general, and Rall for a similar viewpoint. Thank you!

Anyway, radical secularism? Oh, boy. I just hope he wasn't addressing any history majors. What I consider "radical" secularism is the kind of pressure on religion that took place in Revolution-era France or in Communist Europe, and I seriously doubt the US is anywhere on the same level as the two as far as religion is concerned. Then again, I do think that religious debate tends to be somewhat "inherently divisive" - for example in cases where we talk about different religions - so that would make me a radical secularists. Sigh... I'm still trying to assimilate the fact that I'm a moonbat, and the epithets just keep coming and coming.

As for the WBC, I think those guys are all nuts. They may as well advertise their services in the phone book. "Have burial - will picket," that kind of thing. How come they haven't been beaten up somewhere, especially when they were protesting at soldiers'funerals?

[ May 20, 2007, 15:14: Message edited by: The Shaman ]

8. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I have no feeling about Falwell's death. I figure someone else will take his place. Unfortunately there are too many people who think that if "you are different from us or disagree with us you must be evil, sick or crazy."

9. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Okay, I guess I'm alone in actually being glad that Rev. Falwell has passed on; he no longer is troubled by his history of heart problems - I do hope his actual death was fairly painless and quick - and more importantly he can put to rest his arms and finally quit the field of battle.

No, I didn't agree with much of what he publicly proclaimed, and I personally thought his opinions of those who differed from him were hateful, vindictive, and possibly even evil, BUT I never wished harm or ill-will upon him (a spiteful demagogue is almost never worth it). Might have wished he'd reconsider his views, or maybe leave stop what I saw as persecution, but not actually have injury or death befall him...martyrdom often creates the opposite of what an assassin intends. :)

Anyway, I'd like to think his soul will go on to be rewarded in the afterlife for struggling valiantly for his beliefs, even if I thought they were misguided. I'm quite sure he believed with all his heart and soul what he put out in the public forum, and I'd like to think that people get the afterlife they truly believe they should get, so at least in MY mind, he's in a happy place of peace and tranquility where - and this is important - he cannot cause any more strife back here. ;)

(Sorry, couldn't resist the jape, but I do hope he's in a better place)

10. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Speak ill of the living; they might well respond to it, or be effected by it. It's said that the good a man does dies with him, but the evil lives on after. I don't believe Falwell's legacy is a good one. Jesus said, "Give all that you have to the poor." Falwell, or his church, owned gold mines in Africa. Did the proceeds go to the poor? (Including the miners.) Or was it just a good investment? Like the fifties pop singer Pat Boone, another evangelical, saying "God wants me to have this Rolls-Royce." [Real quote.] Maybe God wanted Jerry to have that gold mine.

I saw the man once. It was at a Jesse Jackson rally in Athens, Ohio. The crowd was worked up, ready to whoop for Jesse. Jackson speechified about the lion lying down with the lamb; then he reached around a door and pulled out the Reverend Falwell, rather like a magician pulling a rabbit out of a hat. Jerry looked shy and bashful. He probably hadn't been to many Jesse Jackson rallies. I thought it was more like a dog dropping a turd on the carpet, and we went home, so I never did hear what the Reverend Falwell might have contributed to the proceedings, which no doubt marks me as some sort of apostate.

Anyway, the Reverend's death did make me think of this bit of doggerel by William Blake:

"I was buried near this dyke,

That my friends may weep as much as they like."

11. Elthas Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

About Jerry:

Let me begin by saying that I am an agnostic, but am well-versed in the history of Christianity.

This post may offend some people, and I don't want to get booted from the board on my first day, but I am going to present a different take on Jerry Falwell for those who were not directly affected by his church.

I lived in Lynchburg, VA for seven years (Jerry's "home base") and I can tell you all that aside from his bigotry, homophobia, and general hypocrisy (he condemned alcohol and drinking on Sundays yet every restaurant he owned in town had an open bar on the Christian Sabbath) -- Falwell ruined the economy and lifeblood of Lynchburg. He rezoned good industrial and commercial propery (including a former Ericsson cell phone plant which was PRIME real estate for any manufacturer) to make way for more mega-churches/university buildings/etc. The only work to be had in Lynchburg these days is in retail and food service jobs which, ironically, cater to college students. See a pattern? Liberty University supplies cheap, disposable work force for the Falwell family empire? The students then work for a couple of years and promptly leave town and their respective jobs far behind upon graduation. Where does that leave the local economy? Dependent on "Jerry's kids", that's where! Few professionals who were not affiliated with Falwell live in L'Burg due to the poor economy and laughable infrastructure. Why, you can count the "professional" career choices for Lynchburg residents on your fingers! Lastly, there is no "night life" or entertainment in Lynchburg that isn't "G" rated, if you catch my drift.

It should be no surprise that I have very few kind words for a man of his ilk. And yet, in the world of throwbacks and zealots, Falwell was a minor blip compared to blathering whack-jobs like Pat Robertson or Fred Phelps.

Jerry's only god was Mammon. I met the man three times in public and he was about as "pious" as a snake-oil salesman. Wherever he is I hope he's getting his just rewards, to paraphrase Matthew 6:1-8.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.