1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NwN Toolset

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by gbutler28, Jun 8, 2001.

1. gbutler28 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] One thing I'm really wondering is this: Why not release the toolset for creating dungeons and towns and such early? Say, right now for instance. Just give it away for free over the net, even if it was just a stripped-down version, without all the fancy graphics and such. That way people who are itching to create towns and dungeons could get to work ahead of the actual game's release. It'd generate a huge following for the game, before it's even released (moreso than it already has, if that's possible). Anyway, it's definitely a win-win situation for the game's developers. They get a bunch of people who are going to buy the game anyway to start adding value to the product for nothing!

Anyway, just a thought. I'm sure there are some technical issues surrounding this, but I thought I'd just throw this idea out there. I sure some of you guys have thought of this before, but I didn't see a thread for it.

So let's start hassling the developers! Even more that usual!

-G

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] My understanding is the toolset is integrated with the game and can't be separated, so there won't be any early release of just the tools.

3. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

There is a mapping utility that has been released. I will post the details below. It seems that this will at least help you to prepare your adventures. I don't know enough about it though to say how easy it will be to convert these maps into the final version of NWN (though I would hope fairly easy or it's a bit of a waste of time). Anyway, have a look at there home page and forum.

PS the good news is that the mapping version that ships with the game is supposed to be almost as easy to use as this if the reports from E3 are to be believed.
    http://nwmap.nwnonline.net/

Doh, just read their FAQ's:

"1.3: Will I be able to import my map directly into the Neverwinter Toolset?

No, you will not. We have no information about the format of NWN's map files, and almost no information about the tiles that will be available."

Still if you are interested in mapping it's probably still worth checking out. Hopefully they will release a converter when the offical NWN mapper is released.

[This message has been edited by Slappy (edited June 08, 2001).]

4. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

From the NWN Boards, also posted on our own news page:

Derek French, Assistant Producer:

Pre-Release of Any Tools: No, sorry, there will be no pre-release of any of the tools. All of the tools require all of the game data to be there, so we cannot separate the editors from the rest of the game.

5. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I understand what he means by it needs the game files, but couldn't they include the tilesets with the toolkit so that we can start atleast making new areas and what about scripting, will they release anything on the scripting early?

6. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

if your able to export the toolsets to the toolkit then you could concievably export the toolsets to the hd so why haven't they? it would make it so much easier on us modmakers who have been dying for a game like this, I'm sick of having to get new software and writing hex to add mods.

yeah, yeah, yeah give me a break I noticed to button after I posted th 2nd one ok, I've never used this forum till now.

[This message has been edited by Shadow Assassin (edited June 27, 2001).]

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] *sigh* Another one who didn't read the FAQ before posting. Please do so...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.