1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NWN Forum Update

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by NewsPro, Jun 14, 2002.

1. NewsPro Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

(Originally posted by Z-Layrex)

Trent Oster, Producer

Server Specs: You can have a crapola graphics card in a server, but I would push for a decent processor. The NWN server is heavier on the CPU than we initially expected, due to the client pathfinding ocurring on the server. For a smaller game (6 or less) I would recommned a 600 mhz processor or better and at least 128 MB of Ram (more is always better). If you have a better CPU or more RAM, performance will improve. In the office we have had up to 8 instances of the server running single player games on one dual 1600 Athlon system. Since running multiple servers is much heavier in terms of load than individual players in the same server you won't need this caliber of hardware to run a single server instance. I run a dual PIII 800 for my office system and I've hosted five people for a few hours at a time and got reasonable performance out of the old system.

Module Testing: We had 10 internal, another 10 onsite and another 30 offsite for over three months, the 10 internal for over 9 months. I think you could get away with less. It is important to ensure your scripting works for multiple players as this can be a real issue if you fail to plan properly.

After NWN Release: Bob's got it cold. There will be a patch, in fact there will likely be many. NWN does not end with us shipping a game, in fact there is an entire team who have just started and are chomping at the bit to extend and enhance the shipped version of NWN. Long live NWN.

Bob McCabe, Designer

Character Files: When you save your character, the character file is NOT overwritten. It saved with an identical file name with an incrementing numerical count, i.e. Bob, Bob1, Bob2, Bob3, etc. So I make a character and save him, and then play through the Prelude and Chapter 1, and I'm just about to go into 1E, but then Allain (who sits to the left of Bob) says, "Hey! New Contest of Champions Mod is up. Come play!" So I save my character, and then enter into the game. I quickly find out that my character is too powerful (item cost) for this module, so I drop everything and re-set him. I tweak his quick bar and get ready to play. The game is going great, and after a few rounds, my PC is l33t! So I save my character again. Now I have four versions of my character - one that is level 1 with 0 XP and ready for any new campaign, one that is ready for 1E, one that is ready for any new Contest of Champions server, and one that is looking buff from all of the PKing, and that I can use to show off to the guys I just beat.

Derek French, Producer

Do you need a CD for the dedicated server?: The dedicated server requires neither a CD nor a CD Key.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2018
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.