1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Non-sexual related outings topic

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Ragusa, Jul 27, 2001.

1. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Well, I had assumed we were all drunks here for some reason. I did not assume however, there werew other bibliomaniacs on the site. I am quite a collector of books, some rare and valuable and a few signed firsts, and some too old to read anymore without causing some damage. I used to have the same problem, I couldn't go to a bookstore without leaving with something, I once plotted to steal a collection of Oxford English Dictionaries and various other books from a bookstore I worked for, and I had at one point ammassed quite a floor bending collection. I have since changed. I think in terms of the long term, what might appreciate and what I want to really read. I try to get a good copy of good books, avoid trade papers and so on. However, I just moved from St Louis to Kansas City. It sucked. I put all my books in my Explorer (read "Exploder") and loaded shelving and furniture into a Uhaul rental. The weight of the books was almost more than the Explorer could bear.
    I also cleared out my Grandfathers former legal library and barrister bookshelves. My back is totally screwed, but I did inherit 40 Barister shelves (with the glass doors) plus basesd and tops so I can arrange them as I see fit. Tey weigh a ton especially with the books in them. Oh, yeah, and a full set of Harvard Classics in red.
    Although I miss the days of my obsessive collecting, it is good to keep a clear head about all things bound.
    Now, if if I could just do the same about British Sportscars...

2. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I love to read! Unfortunately, I rarely get to read for pleasure these days...I have 4 shelves full of books! Most I've read, but a lot I haven;t had a chance to get around to yet!

I too have a confession to make. It may come to you as a shock, I know...But I have to say it:

I LOVE WOMEN!!! It's an affliction I have...But I think they are the greatest! Well, and hockey & baseball. ;) :D

3. shadow_thief Guest

Well good for you Bel, I'm very glad you love women. /me give Bel a sweet kiss on the cheek.
    I am a addicted to: books, clothing, cosmetics, sarcasism, humour, guys, SP, RPGs, writing, math and getting bored to death in the science class. I will give myself a pat on the back for reading over a 100 books in 2 years(when I actually started liking to read).

4. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Did your finger hurt from flipping all those pages!!! ;) :p

I used read a lot of fun books...But lately they've been exciting books like: Torts, Contracts, Wills and Trusts, Business Law, Constitutional Law, etc...Not nearly as fun as LOTR, Drangonlance Chronicles, Ender's Game, or even a little histry!

5. shadow_thief Guest

Well, Bel, since it's been 2 years that 720 some days to 100 books. My range is very wide, but here goes nuttin: Patricia McKillip, Tamora Pierce, the Royal Diaries, Gordon Korman, J.R.R. Tolkien, Chicken Soup books, Sabrina the Teenage Witch series, C.S. Lewis, L.M. Montgomery, Beverly Cleary, J.K. Rowling, french misc, english misc, history on france books, history on arizona books, nature misc, and other english writers I haven't taken note of.

6. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Hey Sir B, I'm right there with you dude. Now, lets see if we can get together some class action tort to pay for our educations (read "fees") and maybe some Austin Martins. OK, bad joke. Did you hear about those law school grads who manufactured a class action toxic tort, settled with the Co. "responsible", gave all plaintiffs $100 and pocketed millions? It happened in VA IIRC. They were caught. There was also a recent law school grad who was arrested for bank robbery. I don't think he was in the top end of his class.
    Anyway, keep reading, maybe once I actually start (in ten days) we can talk about law school life and cases and so on.
    Now, on to teh real rerason for this post. Any seriouos reader/book collector should read "A Gentle Madness". Its about the greatest book collectors in the world and what drives them. There's also a chapter devoted to the most successful thief in the history of the world. He stole only books and manuscripts, mostly from libraries, museums and universities. He stole more in dollar worth than anyone in history. He claimed he stole these things because he did not believe anyone other than himself could appropriately care for and understand the history and value of the objects. This guy had 2 Gutenburg bibles and countless other priceless rarities. He was only caught because a house inspector drove by his house and noticed his 2nd story was bowing out, and obtained an order to inspect the property. Pretty amazing. He lived outside of DeMoines Iowa I think. On the whole, a harmless and non-violent person, but also impressive in his ability to burgle. If you've ever seen a real rare archive, you know its impossible to disrupt the space and leave unnoticed.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.