1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

[NO SPOILERS] First time party planning

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Klorox, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Here's what I've decided to go with:

Human Paladin -- Great Saves, will use large swords, maybe bows too.
    Dwarf Fighter -- Give this tank an axe! Crossbow too, I guess. :)
    Dwarf Fighter/Cleric -- hammers, maces, and a sling.
    Half-Elf Fighter/Druid -- Scimitar, sling, maybe club. Depending on stuff found, I might brance into spears/staves too.
    Half-Elf Bard -- Longbowman, dunno what I'll use if baddies get too close.
    Gnome Illusionist/Thief -- I guess I'll use this one like Jan in BGII: shoot some crossbow bolts when I'm not casting. If there's a throwing dagger in this game that would fit him too.

I figure I'll ditch backstabbing (as I was planning for my original Halfling Fighter/Thief to do), and combine my Mage with my Thief. I've never been a big fan of arcane magic, and I won't be upset with a slightly lower Illusionist level. Any spells he can not cast, I'll have to rely on my Bard to handle.

So, whatchya think?

2. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Bards are actually quite good spellcasters in IWD, as they can get up to spell level 8, unlike spell level 6 in BG.

3. Klorox

I've actually been running into the chronic restarter thingy, and I'm down to two party choices. Please let me know which you think is better, and why:

Party 1:

Paladin
    Dwarf Fighter/Clrric
    Half-Elf Fighter/Druid
    Half-Elf Bard
    Dwarf Fighter
    Gnome Illusionist/Thief

Party 2:

Paladin
    Dwarf Fighter/Cleric
    Half-Elf Fighter/Druid
    Half-Elf Bard
    Dwarf Fighter/Thief
    Gnome Fighter/Illusionist

I know I'd have fun with either party, but I just want to know which will allow me to best take advantage of the available equipment in this game.

4. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

"I know I'd have fun with either party, but I just want to know which will allow me to best take advantage of the available equipment in this game."

I tell thee such, the only way to really do that...

Make a random party and play. then make a new random party and play again. Dont bother about powergaming, just make some fun characters that you enjoy and knock yerself out (and preferablly some Yuan-ti at the same time.)

That apart, the team i had the most fun with latelly was:

halfelf cleric/ranger NG
    halfelf wizard/thief NG

very versatile team. the only thing i really missed was bard. but a bard cant hide in shadows like these two can.

5. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

IWD has a (slight) amount of random drops. While there are a lot of weapons and items that will always be available, there are quite a few which you might not get in one run or the other. Just play the game however it pleases you and don't worry too much about it.

As far as your two new parties are concerned, the only difference seems to me is whether you will use your thief for backstabbing or not. There are no weapons that enhance backstabbing iirc, so as such you should be able to use any items you find in the game equally well.

6. Klorox

Ok, here's my final answer! ;)

I've decided to go with characters (some loosly) based on characters friends or I have played in past P&P D&D games:

LG Human Paladin: Viktor. Long Sword/Shield & Axe (throwing axes). Leader of this motley crew.
    CN Dwarf Fighter: Klorox. Greatsword & Bow. No shields, he's a bit of an oddball.
    CG Dwarf Fighter/Cleric: Kilona. Hammer & Sling with Flails later on.
    NG Half-Elf Bard: Jaq (of all trades ;) ). Bow & Halberd. Crossbow eventually.
    CN Gnome Illusionist/Thief: Gnorman. He'll be shooting a short bow when not casting spells. I don't think any other proficiencies really matter, but I'll go with missile and dagger in case I find a cool returning weapon or sling and want to use a buckler.
    TN Human Fighter: Vespa. This one will be my Druid shortly after I start. I'll probably dual class at level 3, since I want to do the dual early on, and hate that "down time" period. I don't think the 3 levels will hurt me too in the long run, and the added heavy armor (and *** in slings) should really help.

So, what do y'all think?

7. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Sounds really cool ;)

8. Firag Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

If you are playing the game for first time use this party :
    Dwarf Fighter - Weapon - One-Handed axes and two-handed (use one big axe to open the chests in near the naga ... )
    Human Fighter - WEapon - Two Handed Swords (you will find many nice swords ;] )
    Human Cleric - No need to telling you for him/her
    Elf - Illusionist *i think that this was the one of the 2 mages with +1 mage slot*
    Elf - Conjurer - -/-/-
    This will be great party !

Little Spoiler
    (Don't remember to collect all magic sword at the end of the game , and you will get one nice dragon killer sword in the HOW (two-handed ;] )

9. Tiberius Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

sounds like a kickin party.

10. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    This may be a minor spoiler....

Original AD&D introduced holy avengers. Only a paladin could identify a holy avenger (it just looked like a normal sword -- possibly magical -- to everyone else).

Icewind Dale uses this same philosophy. While Carsomyr is easily identified by everyone in the BG world, Pale Justice (a +7 sword vs evil) appears as a normal sword (even merchants will only give a few gold for it). There is one hint in the game about it's location (and a rather abstract hint at that).

11. Klorox

DARNIT!

I can't stop restarting! That above was NOT my final answer!

Ahh, I'm having fun, and that's what matters. When I get through Chapter 1 without any complaints, I'll let y'all know. ;) :)

12. raptor Gems: 16/31

Your having fun in chapter 1 ?!? wow :p i think i hate chapter 1 in all the games. even torment (mortuary).

13. Klorox

Yeah raptor, I'm still having fun in Chapter 1 (but it is getting a bit monotonous).

Anyway, as you can tell from this thread (and my threads a long time ago on the BGI and BGII forums), the hardest part for me in this game is coming up with a party that is both powerful, covers "all the bases" and (most importantly) I'll enjoy playing.

Here are a few ideas, please help me with a few more or just comments/suggestions/modifications on the ones I've presented. BTW, I have HoW and TotLM installed:

Party 1
    Paladin
    Bard
    Fighter/Cleric (dwarf)
    Fighter/Druid (HalfElf)
    Fighter/Illusionist (gnome)
    Fighter/Thief (elf)

Party 2
    Paladin
    Bard
    Fighter 3/Cleric (dual)
    Fighter 3/Druid (dual)
    Fighter 3/Mage (dual)
    Fighter/Thief (elf)

Party 3
    Paladin
    Bard
    Fighter/Cleric (dwarf)
    Fighter/Druid (halfelf)
    Fighter (dwarf)
    Illusionist/Thief (Gnome)

Party 4
    Paladin
    Bard
    Fighter/Druid (halfelf)
    Cleric/Illusionist (gnome)
    Fighter 3(dual)Mage
    Fighter/Thief (elf)

Party 5
    Paladin
    Bard
    Fighter/Druid (halfelf)
    Fighter/Cleric (Dwarf)
    Fighter/Illusionist (gnome)
    Fighter/Mage/Thief (elf)

Party 6
    Paladin
    Bard
    Fighter 3/Druid(dual-class)
    Fighter/Cleric (dwarf)
    Fighter/Thief (elf)
    Fighter 3/Mage (dual)

Ending comments:

I think I like Fighter/Thieves (or FMT) becuase they make great archers. The Elves can get a 19 Dex, and have a bonus to hit w/ bows. I want both cleric and druid spells, but I can't decide if multi or dual classing is better. I really think (at least) 3 levels of fighter before the mage, cleric, or druid classes is very helpful. Both for equipment and hitpoints. As you can see, I insist on having a Paladin and a Bard in all of my parties. Not only have I had a ton of fun with these characters in other games, but I'm told they can be uber in this game.

edit: added party 6 which adds some arcane power.

[ September 25, 2005, 05:36: Message edited by: Klorox ]

14. Lynadin Gems: 11/31

Both the Paladin and the Bard are fun to play. You could also consider playing through with only 4-5 chars, or maybe try an extra Cleric, they are quite usefull ;)

But really, i find chapter One very entertaining, even though i must have played chapter One 100 times :D

15. raptor Gems: 16/31

Well this seems like a very alround solution:

Paladin
    Bard
    Cleric
    Fighter 3/Druid(dual-class)
    Fighter 3/Thief (dual)
    Fighter 3/Mage (dual)

I would recomend keeping teh cleric singleclassed, to progress the fastest. In my experience he is always the person i want to levelup the fastest, becose i need healing spells or raise dead, or some sort of anti undead or anti disease, or curative spells of various reasons anti fire/cold some such thing.

Remember to have fighter druid pick the 3rd star in Sling....... its teh only ranged attack they can use when druid. so dont waste it on bows.

Bleeh, i think your thinking to much about "power" really, my ragtag bands usually cant use half teh things in the game, but it doesnt matter. you can always play through 15 more times and try everything, that way you ahve more things to explore the next time.

16. Klorox

thanks guys.

Raptor, I think you might be right, I'm thinking about power too much. But finding that "perfect party" is part of the fun for me. My problem with the party you selected is the lack of tanks. Also (and I really do appreciate the advice), I see no reason to have a thief go past level 8 or 9. I want to max out my Traps and Locks skills, and then really have no use for the class. As a matter of fact, I'm now considering another party, replacing the thief character with a human thief who dualclasses into a mage. I figure this is a pretty good use of "character space" since I only use thieves for those locks and traps skills and the fact that mages aren't all that useful at the beginning anyway.

17. raptor Gems: 16/31

I started over again now with my party of 3 :)

halfelves all,

ranger/cleric
    fighter/thief
    thief/mage

Having a blast. have all kinda characters in the party (warrior, priest, rouge, wizard), beeing able to use most anything in the game between various chars. and all can hide in shadows :) this is fun. Running around sneaking past enemies, picking up their treasury, and then come back for them later when they are easy pie.

also since i have only 3 on the party, i levelup faster. so i level up exactlly as fast as if i had 6 partymembers with the same classes.

18. Lynadin Gems: 11/31

Raptor, sounds fun, I remember i did something similar once :)

19. Firag Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I have played IWD1 many times and never find the holy avenger :cry:
    can someone tell me where it is ???
    I think i will start a new party only with one paladin :)

20. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

You will find it towards the end of the game. When you go to kill Malavon, there is a hut to the right of map with the trapped circles. A couple of monsters burst out of it. Go thru it to the back and you will find it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.