1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

No Recall Spell

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls 1-4' started by Chelsea, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Chelsea Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] As an old skool Daggerfall player I am amazed that there are no longer Recall/Mark Recall and levitate spells.

It was very very cool to set your recall point for a quick getout from a dungeon.

Old Daggerfall and Morrowind players should be aware that as good as Oblivion is, they no longer have the recall and levitate spells. :(

2. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I hated that as well. I guess they removed levitation because of the potential for something to go wrong, and they would have removed Recall/Mark because it was almost pointless with the fast travel feature.

3. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Not pointless. Oblivion is the ultimate 'Dungeon Crawl' and a Mark/Recall would have been nice just to get out of the blasted things when you finished exploring.

Side note: I actually prefer the traveling in Morrowind. Well, most of the time. The fast travel is handy but IMO a bit of a cheat or at least cheesy.

4. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

I use mods that add caravans, boats, mage's guild teleporters, mark/recall and Divine Intervention spells, for much more movement fun.

There's no levitation to stop people flying over the city walls to find there's no actually anything there; cities are entirely separate areas.

5. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Holy monkey spit! I hadn't believed Nakia when she said that movement was harder in Oblivion than Morrowind, but if you don't have levitation or teleportation...jeez. :eek: I mean, I use Recall so much in Morrowind (even with three methods of fast travel, plus two different Interventions and levitation) that I always enchant a ring with it to save magicka.

I'm even plotting a little MW mod that will put in "Stronghold Recall" amulets similar to the vampiric amulets so that you don't have to hoof it (or tie up your Mark) every time you want to get to your stronghold. I mean, it was okay when I only had to hoof it for less than a minute south of Balmora to get to my Hlaalu stronghold, but the Redoran stronghold was halfway between Ald'ruhn and Maar Gaan, so you'd have to fight along the way, and the Telvanni stronghold is way out in the middle of the Molag Amur.
    They did the same thing for Tribunal's Mournhold. You could still use levitation in the sewers and such, but you couldn't use it aboveground for precisely that reason. Not sure why finishing the Tribunal main quest shuts off teleportation within the city, though. :skeptic:

6. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Maybe because they added horses they decided to take out Devine Intervention and Mark/Recall but the horse doesn't take you through those !@#!$%^ dungeons and caves. I wonder how many people actually rode the horses. I messed around with them for fun but I also sat down and got up just because I could. Those are fun things but not necessary to the game.

7. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    I used the horses to get to places I couldn't fast travel to and for exploring the wilderness, but I do miss the old Mark/Recall system.

8. Nakia

Media:
    I also rather suspect that they didn't want people to be able to levitate up and around those insane mountains. The gods of the developers obviously did not want you to travel in anything vaguely resembling a straight line. Nope, go halfway across the continent and then back again.

9. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Horses are pretty pointless. If you read the Morrowind forums from a year or two back, good God the requests for horses. Same with NWN forums and damn near every other fantasy CRPG out there. What people don't realize is the hundreds of hours of development time it takes to make ridable horses. And then you ride one for five minutes and go "wow! this is so cool!" and then the novelty wears off once you realize you can't fight on them and you can often just run faster on foot!

Horses are just one of several horrible demands from the clueless player community that tie up precious developer time. Ah well, ya dun gone and got me up on my soap box.

10. Nakia

Media:
    Sir Fink, I agree with you 100%. I'll gladly join you on that soap box or the one next to it.

Now I could see having a pack mule to carry around all the junk you get.

The first Oblivion game I played I got on the monk's horse tried it out and said forget this. Besides running is good for you, gets your athletic score up.

The horses not only tie up the developers time but they tie up your computer resources.

11. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

@Nakia: Here you go!!

Mark & Recall Suite

Note, you will need to register and sign in before you can download this file.

12. Nakia

Media:
    Thanks Faraaz, that is a good link to have.

13. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

there are mods that give you pack mules. Also mods that make the horses faster so that they are more useful.

EDIT: theres also a saddlebag mod for horses.

14. Chelsea Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

If only U could get recall for the XBox.

Horses are pointless after a short while. Run around improve skills and never have to wait to... get off horse - ready weapon etc.

Also you never have a chance to hit your own horse with a weapon, bow or spell which gets you expelled from Guilds for no good reason.

Nah...horses are dumb as dirt to have after a few levels. The great thing about recall was that you could get from bottom of dungeon to top in an instant, or (of course) back to a quest giver.

So much more convenient and civilized.

15. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well if your on PC Modular Oblivion Enchanced Gives you a Levitate spell, teleport spells for all cities, and mark and recall.

16. Nakia

Media:
    I've installed Mark/Recall plug-in and must say that it improves the playability of Oblivion a great deal. I still miss the 'natural' transportation of Morrowind.

Now if I could just figure out how to carry all that loot I'm finding.

17. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Place your Mark in town, get all the loot in a central location, then pick it all up (you can carry more than you can move) and Recall.

18. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

There's always mods available on TESSource.net which increase the strength -> encumbrance multiplier...you can make it 1 STR = 10 pts or 20 even, instead of the standard 5 pts...

19. Nakia

Media:
    I do use the Mark/Recall in Morrowind as Fel suggests, got the idea from him on FAI.

Question, Faraaz, do these mods make your character uber in comparison to the enemies you meet in Oblivion?

20. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

i think this only affects the encumbarence level of your char, and not the damage multiplier or whatever else str effects

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.