1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Nickname origins

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by LKD, May 11, 2003.

1. khazadman Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Khazadman comes from the works of Tolkien. Khazad was the name the Dwarves had for themselves. It was one of the few words from their language that was heard on the surface world of Men and Elves.

2. Lost Meme Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

For those of you who don't know a word of Sindarin, my name means dark dream.
    I originally thought of the dark dream as a name for a black dragon, but then I found an English to Elvish dictionary and figured what the hell.
    I am not named after Mordor.

3. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Sleek animal and cool car. It sounds strong on its own, sexy when purred by a female, and noble if a 'Sir' is placed in front of it.

4. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Lynadin was the greatest Fighter in Icewind Dale - ever :D

5. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

Loerand is a mixup of the letters in my first name(almost)...

6. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    You mean that dirty drunken wench in the Copper Coronet? :lol:

7. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Equester is from latin Ordo Equester, which meens order of knights...and i thought it sounded cool

8. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Mollusken was a cool animal and friend and I "invented" when we were about 10 years old. A few years later I started playing computers, and to honor the funniest animal ever created I took it's name.

9. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

A mis-spelling of Carcharoth. I joined a Dog Rescue/Rehoming website (where we got our red-setter Jonah from). Carcharoth was the first canine name that came to mind, but alas I didn't have the book to hand (having not read it for a couple of years) and got the spelling wrong (and too many others have also got the spelling wrong so a google search turned up enough sites to convince me I had it correct)

10. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Mine is the name of the first rogue with whom I finished BG, and since, the name of any other rogue I play.

Originally, I wanted a rogue with an unusual nickname, so I came up with Tharun "Cold Hand", but I wasn't really convinced. I liked the "cold" part of it, so I started playing with the words. I got Colthand, Coltharun, some others with an even worse sound to them... and finally Colthrun was born.

11. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

'Hound of Ulster'. I am named after Irelands most famous warrior (slayer of tyrants) that killed 'Balor of the Evil Eye' using his sling, but he was also famous for wielding the 'Gae Bolga' which is the 'Bellows Spear' from Irish and Scottish mythology.

When he was severly wounded in his final battle, he demanded that his men tie him to a post so that he would face his enemies and you can see his statue in Dublins main post office, with the goddess Morrigan sitting on his shoulder in Raven form.

12. Arendil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Tolkien origins...pretty obvious...

13. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Four pages and I haven't piped up yet, I'm slipping in my dotage...

Hubby used to race RC cars and I'd go to the track with him. To keep me from being too bored, he bought me a car so I could race, too. The car I chose was in the Rally class. As for the rest... I had to admit that I was just a tad too old (or far too young ;) )to pull off "Rallygirl" with the proper aplomb... especially being pregnant at the time.

14. Ruin Ehwazehs Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Ruin is just random name I made than I put my last name as rune words (editing bit to make it readable). My real last name is Lee and it changed to ehwazehwaz.....I think.

15. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    A new (old) Nick a new explanation!

Well, I changed from Dungeon Master to Ofelix. Felix Leclerc was a great local singer who died the day I was born. And one day when I was really not in shape a friend of me said '' You're acting like Obelix just without the extra weight '' So I took Obelix + Felix = Ofelix.

ain't that a great story?

16. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

My name is some crazy mix between the area of Gorgoroth and the great evil Morgoth from the books of Tolkien. So it's another Tolkien nick for me. I'm not a very big Tolkien fan though which makes it a bit strange. I never managed to even finnish Silmarillon since I found it to be so damn boring. :p

17. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I'm lazy, it's my initials. :sleep:

18. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    Mine's boring. My name is Michelle and people have always shortened it to Shell , or Shelly.

PS: For a long time I thought Lazy Bonzo's name was Lady Bonzo, and he was actually a she, until i read it properly :grin:

19. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    I actually started on SP as "Chewbaka the Monkey", because...well actually there was no reason behind it.

I changed to Dave the Magic Turtle because...um...uh, again for no reason, meh, perhaps its for the best.

I still honer my past name by being Chewbaka in the Chatroom. :D

20. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Mine is just a place I once worked. The second turret (T2) on a battleship used to be called Bruno.

(And, yes, the last battleship was retired in 1994 which makes me older than Adam...).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.