1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Nickname origins

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by LKD, May 11, 2003.

1. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I took my nick from what I mistakenly thought was Roosevelt's quote from the early 1900's. As I remmebered it, it went something like "Walk softly and carry a big stick." When someone pointed out to me that I had it wrong, I did some research and discovered that it was actually from a letter he wrote to a friend:

I chose it because for a long time I would read the boards but not post anything. When I did post, I tried to make sure that what I typed actually added something relevant. Hence, I spoke softly (infrequently) and carried a big stick. It is, perhaps, not an accurate use of the proverb, but that's the story. :cool:

2. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Lazy Bonzo, I didn't mean to offend; I just said that "Lazy Bozo" makes some sense unlike "Lazy Bonzo"

3. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    My name actually comes from a book that i cant remeber the name of but the main character was called Dalveen Leandor and i just thought it sounded cool so i used it, i sometimes use the name Melfdale but only when naming elves.

4. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Sir Bel - Nah, I'm too far left to be pink. I qualify for a full red.

5. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Aik: I have just added the aposthrope when I have played Drow chars, to make the name seem more Drow-ish. The original spelling is "Rayt".

(How will I last?)

6. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

My nick came is the elvish name of Gandalf in LotR in Lorien. They called him the Grey Wanderer Mithrantir. And i do believe it is pronounced with a t not a d because it makes no meaning as nd(sounds nnt). :cool:
    I believe Gandalf temper and generall behaviour is resembling mine very much and it is the name i use with all my characters i create in RPG's and CRPG's. I just love the guy

7. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I have a "pseudo-affinity" with dwarves, being bearded and generally likeable. So I picked a name that "sounds dwarvish". Since in Tolkien's explanation his invented dwarf language had some linguistic features that imitate Semitic languages I decided that an Arabic name would be good for the job.

Khazraj is the name of a tribe that was from the city formerly known as Yathrib.

8. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Friend, good day and goodbye.

*Grins*

9. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Mines, obviously, is that I am the Dungeon Master at a D&D Games, and didn't want to search hours and hours for a name. I could have named myself " Eldon Greenhill" though... I just love Halfling!

Off topic: I think I'm no more a newbies! 8 gems!

[ May 13, 2003, 14:15: Message edited by: Dungeon_Master ]

10. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

My nick evolved from my name...
    Tapio -> Tapsa -> Tazza -> Tazz@ -> Taz@ -> Taz -> Taza

Yes, Virne, no one guesses the origin of your nick. *grins*

11. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I didn't know that...There sure are a lot of Fins on SP...We had a Finnish exchange student when I was in high school, but he didn't really teach us any Finnish words.

12. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Hmmm. My nick gets confused with an Islamic term sometimes.

Shura roughly means 'Violence' or 'Vengeful spirit' in Japanese, prounounced as ' Xiu Luo' in Chinese. It is difficult to give the word an exact meaning as it is used in many different contexts. To say that one has 'walked the path of the Shura' is to say that one has lived a violent and bloodstained life.

Some japanese manga like to stick 'Shura' as a prefix or suffix to the special over-dramatic moves of their ninja/samurai characters as well. ;)

Basically, I wanted a name that implies one who has little regard for life, loves violence and will never hold back his wrath in the pursuit for revenge.

13. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well my real name is Joakim and when I first started to go online 6-7 years ago I was trying to find a nick I was comfortable with. I tried a bunch but then I started to use joacqin. Some friends in school called me that at times as a spanification of my real name and I kinda liked it. Just to make it a bit more internety I spelt it with a small letter just to be cool...
    Now I would perhaps not have made that choice but as joacqin is my nick and not Joacqin I still keep the small letter, perhaps as a small reminder that I once wanted to be a little l33t.

14. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    OK, again:

'Chevalier' is purely descriptive. That's why it's always lowercase. Another thing is that uppercased it would look like some French title, which it is not. Well, some people write it with a capital letter, but that's no big problem since they probably mean to individualise it somehow and make a proper name of it rather than keep it a common noun as it is. Sometimes some of you could possibly see 'chevalier des Trois-Tours' on other boards, still 'chevalier' lowercase for the reasons give above. That's still I, but not really among the shortest nicks one could imagine.

Originally it was a highschool nick made up by my friends. It's derived from heraldry and the thing was that those were supposed to figure it out were able to and the other ones had no bloody idea. At some point I thought it up in English for the purpose of a joke fake quote from some archeologist digging up tombs all over Upper Egypt. Of course my friends had different views on the subject ;) Who translated it into French is beyond my memory. Probably it was when I needed some 19th century's great romantic poetry fake quote and my creativity wore off... :rolleyes: I don't remember. It's just been chevalier (etc etc) from there on. Probably I would have forgotten the nick for ages now were it not for my email login - chevalier. When you type it daily you somehow get used to it.

Sometimes I make different translations, including Quenya and Sindarin most recently. Perhaps 'Arrochir o Nelvarad' sounds better, but I don't really care. Sooner or later I'll probably have to think of something creative anyway.

15. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

I have explained the origins of my nickname many times before, but I just can't resist the urge of explaining them again.

Silverblade is a result of my lack of originality. At the time, I wanted to change my nickname from Antoine to anything else and when I read the BG2 manual, there it was: Silverblade. Silverblade was actually the creator of Crom Faeyr, for those who are interested to know. The name sounded really cool at the time, but for a while now, I've been realizing myself, that Silverblade isn't a cool name. It is a regular name. At every D&D, RPG, and CRPG website, there is a guy named Silverblade, and I happen to be that guy on Sorcerer's Place.

Anyhow, I've been looking for a replacement for a while now, but I want something really special this time. Not something with a few million results in a random search engine. Not something that looks at a name already here at SP. Well, I guess you can see the result if you look above my portrait. Feel free to PM me if you know a really good name, or some place where to find good names.

16. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    My name is Michelle. I get called Shell for short. First name that popped into my head :)

17. Jarel Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

As most of you probably know, Aragorn is one of the main characters of LOTR, but maybe not many remembered his "II" status. ;)
    Plus, speaking about how does it sound, "Aragorn" is the best epic name I've ever read anywhere.

18. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

One more time now!

Dragon's Jewel. I like dragons. It sounds fantasy-like. It's better than the 10 other nicks that I've used in the past, and suits me more. (though Asila is a close second, being my name spelled backwards.) And there you have the uninteresting origins of my name.

19. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

You probably know that Harkle Harpell is a wizard, who appears in several Salvatore's Drizzt books. I'm not fan of Salvatore, but I took this nick, because Harkle was one of the best characters and he reminds me of Xzar :grin:

20. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] Can you tell mine was completely made up? ;)

Gopher, Gopher, I'm not sure why I chose it actually. First it was 'yappie!', which is my completely undeserved nickname. I had that for the first... two or three months here. Then I changed to 'Gopherboy'. Then to 'Gopher'.

I've always liked furry little animals; hamsters, weasels, minks, gophers and all that, so I thought: why not? It's not like there are millions of animal names out there! (Apart from Dragons, but let's not get into that)

Another reason, is that it's a (heavily) changed sound of my name. *ahem* Jesper is me name. So since 'g' can be prenounced harshly or softly, 'jeh' or 'geh', it kinda makes sense. :D

Apart from that, I guess I chose Gopher because it just sounds good. It flows from your mouth, a soft word should you want it to be.

Heh, if you think this is a load of crap, then you try coming up with a good reason for chosing this name, I can't! :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.