1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NHL, 2006-2007 season

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Triactus, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

It looks more like they are having trouble placing him where he would get the best results for the team.

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The Leafs dumped Tellqvist over to Pheonix for Tyson Nash and a fourth round pick. I would have thought that they could have done a bit better than that but I guess there isn't much of a market for a third string goalie.

3. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

This thread needs to be renamed to "Leaf's 2006-2007 season" haha

Jan Bulis has been under fire from the sportscasters and media in Vancouver. He has been irresponsible defensively and taking lazy penalties and bad times during the game. Was he really that bad in Montreal?

4. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    haha, well, sure there's a lot of leafs fan here, But I represent de Canadians fans! :p

Well, Bulis is a tough call. He wasn't known to be a hard worker. But still, he did score 20 goals playing on the third / fourth line... He has wicked speed, but yeah, his defense skills aren't that sharp. But I still would've kept him with the habs...

5. Gnarfflinger

Blog: Have you ever known me to shut up? JSBB and I are leafs fans, and when 2 of three regulars are leafs fans, guess who they're going to talk about...

JSBB: I like the deal actually. I've always liked the pest type players. Nash would be a good fit with someone like Peca if he gets back to the parent club...

And amazingly this hasn't been moved to the Alleys [;p]

6. Blog Gems: 23/31

Fair enough. Just wondering how much a typical Leaf fan pays attention to other teams in the league. :p

About Bulis, that's the problem about watching Sportsnet highlights about games. All I saw from him in Montreal was his goals; you don't see the rest of his game.

7. Gnarfflinger

Some, but not maybe as much as we should. I think it has to do with the fact that there's so much more about the Leafs out there than any other team.

8. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Well I must say being down here in Chicago has some definite advantages - not being able to watch the Leafs play so poorly is one of them. It took the Leafs even less time than last year to have their midseason collapse.

9. Gnarfflinger

Yeah. Nobody in Toronto has any answers, but perhaps Tampa Bay could be good victims for their break out game...

10. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Well they managed to come from behind to win it. I guess we will have to wait and see if this is a turning point of just a single up note in a sea of down notes.

11. Blog Gems: 23/31

In Chicago eh? Good to see Havlat back healthy and scoring there. And they signed Peter Bondra too, who scored in his first game.

Canucks finally got an outburst of goals. On a night where they finally got two lines going, they got three lines looking dangerous. Hopefully it wasn't just because Pheonix is that bad. And I can see why the Leafs gave up on Tellqvist. :D

12. Gnarfflinger

Actually, I wouldn't have traded Tuukka Rask to a division rival for a goalie that had one good year and one horrible year. I'd even be ready to go with Aubin and Tellquist if I couldn't get someone I was confident in for the right price. That would have kept Rask in the system for a future deal and freed up 2 mil to get an offesnive forward. Also, seeing how Maurice uses Kubina, it may be that they could have got a #3 defence man cheaper than Kubina, and could have gone for an offensive forward.

The other problem was that they tried to solve that problem from within the system, but Wellwood and Ponikarovsky didn't step up like they needed them to...

I think that if the Leafs don't make the playoffs then Ferguson my be waiting a long time to see if his contract gets extended, and it might not be...

13. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I went with three of my colleagues to see the Hawks-Red wings game on Thursday night - what an excellent deal. Buy a $10 ticket, watch the first period from the cheap seats while studying the first floor seating to see where the empty seats are, and then during the first intermission sneak down to the first floor and claim a seat about 10 rows from the glass. :thumb: We ended up sitting right behind the net and the view was fantastic.

You almost had to laugh at the "Ice Crew" though - a couple times a period they would send what looked like a cheerleading squad out with shovels to scoop off the snow around the boards and net. It was the silliest thing I have ever seen but most of the guys in attendance seemed to like it. :shake:

It was a pretty exciting game too - the final score was 3-2 in favour of the Wings. There was the typical goalie pulled last minute almost but not quite good enough heroics. Havlat was pretty much ineffective the entire game and Bondra was virtually invisible out there. There were no fights but there was a nice bonecrunching hit that had one of the Wings players down and out cold on the ice for a while. Daniel Cleary played superbly for the Wings and you had to lovce the the way that Mikael Samuelsson saluted the large group of Wings jersey wearing fans who were sitting to my left after he scored the winning goal.

Anyway, I flew home yesterday and watched the Leaf game last night. Sundin is certainly looking good. It is kind of funny that Pohl got a penalty shot - he would be just about the last person I would want taking one. Actually, his numbers are not that bad - he has scored on 8% of his very limited number of shots so far. Compared to White or Steen who are both sitting in the 3% range Pohl looks like a snipper. Speaking of Steen, when the Leafs blew the lead I was thinking here we go again but then Steen of all people comes up with the winner. It was really nice to see Steen finally score again - his lack of offence this year has been really disappointing.

14. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Uggh - The Flyers have the worst receord in the league!!! The HORROR! :eek:

But I am still supporting them. I'm going to see them play Ovechkin and the Capitals tonight in Washington, D.C.

Who knows? Maybe they can turn it around...Not bloody likely!

*sigh*

15. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    Wow, the habs are doing pretty well! They're 4th in the league right now. Higgins is coming back tonight, so it'll give the coach more room to manoeuver with the lines. He will probably leave Latendresse with Koivu and Ryder since they're having a lot of success, and he might put Higgings as a center between Kovalev and Samsonov.

Last game was somewhat of a revelation. Streit, who was basically the 7th defenseman (even though he has more points than Rivet and Niniimaa combined) played as a foward on the 4th line last game. He did very good, scoring a shorthanded goal and getting 3-4 scoring chances. He might be better in front than behind...

16. JSBB Gems: 31/31

O.K. I wouldn't have picked the Leafs to lay such a major league *ss kicking on the Rangers but you won't hear me complaining. Lots of surprises in this one. Carlo Colaiacovo scoring, Pohl scoring on a breakaway and Wellwood managing a hat trick - all in one game! Weird.

17. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    So last night was amazing. First I actually managed to slaughter my psychology exam, then I come back to that Leafs game. I know from the start of last season that Wellwood had potential. When he puts in the effort, he can skate like the wind, and he seems to be putting up very good numbers for his second season in the NHL. But still, the fact that the leafs scored as many goals last night as they did during their entire seven game losing streak is a bit disconcerting.

But you won't find me complaining with the way they have been playing. Lets just hope they keep it up against the Hawks next Saturday, my Dad would never let me live it down if the Hawks beat them. :p

18. Gnarfflinger

Sir Belisarius: The Flyers will have a long haul to turn things around. I'm not impressed with Foresburg as a captain, the forewards aren't getting the job done, Rathje and Hatcher aren't adjusting to the new NHL that well, and Nittymaki isn't the goalie they expect yet. They need to get quality younger players for Foresberg, Gagne, Hatcher and Rathje, while Carter, Richards and Pitkanen develop into the force that they will be. It will be a couple years, but ig they are smart about it, watch out...

And Saturday, I get up about noon and get ambushed with a wedding to attend. Of all the games to miss...

But if they'll keep winning big on Saturday nights, maybe I'll start crashing weddings...

19. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Wow that was one ugly game the Leafs played tonight. It was so bad that by the end of the second period I had switched over to the Drive-In Movie network and was watching Invasion of the Bee Girls. The film may have been bad but it was nowhere near as bad as watching the Leafs.

20. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Well, so much for the Sundin-Wellwood-Ponikarovsky line for the time being. Wellwood may be able to play but Ponikarovsky is definitely out.

Edit: Well, there goes Peca too. I wonder who the Leafs are going to call up now.

Edit: And there we have loss number three in the latest Leafs losing streak. That drops them to 11th place with just about everyone ahead of them having games in hand and the number 12/13 teams being one point behind with games in hand. My oh my doesn't this seem a lot like last year.

[ December 24, 2006, 07:06: Message edited by: JSBB ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.