1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NHL, 2006-2007 season

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Triactus, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I'm just thinking about Vancouver's next season. Their defense is set assuming their contracts are not up - Ohlund, Salo, Mitchell, Bieska are top 4, Krajicek was surprisingly good in the playoffs when 3 of the top 4 got injured, Edler looks ready to be promoted from the minors to the 6th spot, and Fitzpatrick is a good enough depth guy. Add a defenseman (like Sopel this year) at the trade deadline and they're set.
    The forwards, nothing is set. Pyatt, Linden, Bulis Smolinski, and Cowan are all unsigned. If Linden and Cowan can be resigned cheaply, that'd be great because they did well in the playoffs. Bulis' role could be replaced by a minor league promotion to save money. Pyatt could be gone if he wants a big raise.
    I think they really need a big body in front of the net to improve scoring (supposed to be Pyatt, which worked in the season but not in the playoffs). But what they're missing more is a checking center. Someone to match with the opponents top line to shut them down, because every shift Selanne had in the series looked dangerous. They need to neutralize that, and calm things down when they need it late in the game. The coach matched the Sedin line with the top lines during the season which was alright, but that didn't really work in the playoffs (probably due to line matching by the other coach). They need someone like what we saw in Sami Pahlson for the ducks, who can win faceoffs, check, has speed to counterattack, and good on the boards to keep the other teams top line on the defensive. If they can't trade for one, I'd say they groom Morrison (or Kesler) into that role.

In the meantime, go Ottawa!

2. Blog Gems: 23/31

Wow... who thought Ottawa would win both games in Buffalo?

3. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Going up 3 games to none in the series? I'm shocked already because they even made it to the Semifinal. The stranglehold that the Sens have is a total surprise...

4. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I too am surprised at how Ottawa is doing. I had figured that Buffalo would win in 6. Considering how little offense Buffalo was able to generate in game three I would have to say that Ottawa looks pretty good to sweep the series. Buffalo going 0 for 18 on the power play during the series is something I would have expected from the Maple Leafs.

5. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Well, Buffalo managed to avoid being swept but that was all they managed. Hopefully the Wings and Ducks will wear each other down but I think the Ducks will finish it tonight.

Edit: Looks like I was correct which will mean that both teams will be very well rested for the first game on Monday.

[ May 23, 2007, 14:48: Message edited by: JSBB ]

6. Blog Gems: 23/31

Yeah, what's with that week long break before the next series starts. They could have at least started it on Saturday for Hockey Night in Canada.

I didn't check the start time, but are you guys going to stay up to watch the games in Anaheim? I'm glad I'm in the right time zone!

7. Gnarfflinger

I heard all the games were 8 pm EDT starts...

8. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Yeah all games are going to be 8 PM EDT starts which is just weird. How on Earth do they expect people to be able to get to the arena for a 5 PM start on a weekday? They are basically making it so that people will have to take time off work in order to watch game two. If I was an Anaheim ticket holder I would be miffed. Also, for the fans who want to watch the game on t.v. the games will be half over by the time they get home.

9. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    I haven't followed hockey in few years so I'm not familiar with the current edition Senators. Who do you think has the advantage in this series?

10. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I would give Ottawa the advantage on skilled forwards, Anaheim the advantage on defence and checking and I would say that they are fairly even in goal. Overall I would give Ottawa a slight edge.

11. Blog Gems: 23/31

I think Anaheim comes out ahead on paper. They've been getting goals from three lines, their checking line is superb, and their top three defensemen are great. The downside for Anaheim is the 5-6th defensemen are bad, and their fourth line minimal ice time. This cost them some goals, but not enough to affect an entire series yet. Ottawa has better depth, and their top line is better. But they have yet to play against such a good checking unit and defensive pair in the playoffs (New Jersey comes close but not quite). It should be a close series.

12. Gnarfflinger

Jim Ballsillie, who failed in a bid to acquire the Pittsburg Penguins, has just purchased the Nashville Predators. He has a clause in the contract that if average attendance doesn't reach 14k, he can move the team. Is this going to happen?

13. JSBB Gems: 31/31

They were barely under 14k this year and they were over 14k for the previous two years so the knowledge that they will lose their team if attendance is under 14k will likely keep them over the 14k mark, at least for next season.

Still, having the Hamilton or K-W Predators would be interesting.

14. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    Thanks for the analysis. I'm looking forward to watching the series. I'll be rooting for Anaheim but I just hope that it's a good series.

15. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I really hope Anaheim wins. Mostly because Selanne is playing there. He's a great player but has won practically nothing big during his career, just a big pile of second places and disappointments. I really hope he gets this one.

16. Blog Gems: 23/31

Anaheim won game one. Their checking line shut down Ottawa's top line at even strength, and also scored the game winning goal to boot. The good thing for Ottawa is their power play - the Ducks haven't given up many power play goals in the playoffs.

17. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Neither team really seemed to have their A game going last night but I guess that was to be expected after the long break between series. Hopefully they will have a bit more jump in game two.

Anaheim definitely has to work at staying out of the penalty box. Giving Ottawa seven powerplays is way too many. On the other hand, Ottawa will have to cut way down on the neutral zone turnovers. Ottawa's top line in particular kept trying to make foolish passes right before the blue line and ended up with all of their forwards in the Anaheim zone while the puck was headed back down the other way.

18. Gnarfflinger

Anaheim won, 1-0. The series returns to Ottawa with the Ducks up 2 games to none. Something tells me that the third final in a row, the Canadian team loses...

19. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I dunno Gnarff, the Ducks have more Canadians on their team than the Senators . . .

20. Blog Gems: 23/31

Those first two games remind me of the Duck's series with Vancouver. Ottawa is making the same type of mistakes (neutral zone turnovers, hardly any forechecking, not getting pucks in deep... ). Hopefully at home they can avoid the checking line match up.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.