1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NHL 09-10 season

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Triactus, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    As the training camp are in full swing and the exhibition games have started, it is now time to start talking about the season. Which team will aspire to the top honors?

All you hockey fans, come talk about hockey with me, damn it! :)

2. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Hockey's the sport they play on horse's with those long sticks? And there's a ball too, IIRC.

3. Triactus

Media:
    pfff, to answer your little joke, we have a saying where i'm from :

4. Saber

Haha no idea what that means, but as I am trying to watch more types of sports, I am going to try and get into NHL this season. I doubt I will know any players, but I will certainly start watching games.

5. Triactus

Media:
    LMAO, that phrase meant nothing, it's still Splunge's random generated sentence. I'm having waaay too much fun with that... :D

Cool! We're gaining a new fan! First things first : The Montréal Canadians are lawful good. All the other 29 teams are chaotic evil! :lol:

Do you have any questions about the sport? Do you understand the rules and everything? Knowing the rules makes the sport more enjoyable, I always think...

6. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

No, no Tri, my Flyers are defintiely CG! And the Devils are the LE. The Rangers too!

7. Triactus

Media:
    Oh no, Blades! Here, we were getting along and everything! Now, I have to stop being your friend because of the Flyers... :lol:

No, seriously, I hate the Flyers (that goes back before Philly eliminated Montréal two years ago). I don't like overly physical teams like Philly and Toronto. They have a lot of brutes... :( I don't like the way Bobby Clarke built this team. With Pronger, it'll get worst. Even Emery is known to be a brute. And Brière, that freaking coward! Don't make me start on him :mad:

But I still respect you opinions... :lol:

8. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, the Kings are just CS (Chaotic Stupid) and the Islanders are PN (Pathetic Neutral).

Saber - my advice to you is to actually go to games, rather than try to pick them up on TV. You don't get the commentary, but it is much easier to get the flow of the game and to follow the puck in person than on TV. Make sure you go with someone who is reasonably knowledgeable about the game and not an overbearing ass and you will enjoy yourself.

9. Saber

Will do, thanks for the advice.

I understand the basic rules, although I am sure most of the penalties will escape me at first (hell, I'm a huge fan of American football and some of those penalties are still confusing (although for a good reason - some of them are crap) ).

I am probably going to be a Bruins fan because they're the most accessible. They've been decent over the last few years, so it should be more exciting than watching a team that is useless at the sport.

10. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I can speak for the entire Flyer Fan Nation when I say that Bob Clarke is a butthole. Everyone hated him. It was amazing that the Flyers would compete some years, he made so many boneheaded trades. Always right at the deadline and would just kill any team continuity that existed. He only kept his job aslong as he did because he was married to Ed Snyder's daughter. Ed is the President of Comcast, who owns both the Flyers and the Sixers.

11. Triactus

Media:
    So, Phil Kessel was traded to Toronto.... Am I the only one who thinks thgis is a dumb move by the Bruins? You don't trade a 30-40 goals scorer to a team in your own division!! Boston will face Toronto 6 times this year. If Kessel shines, it might hurt Boston a lot!

12. Kullervo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

No need to worry. With Leafs Kessel will most likely reduce to a 15-20 goal underachiever :D .

13. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

So, Gretzky stepped down as the coach for the beleaguered Coyotes. Don Cherry doesn't like it. As far as I'm concerned, Cherry can kiss my hairy white backside and stop being a sanctimonious prick. Seriously. Wayne has earned his rest and has proved his grit many times in the past.

14. Triactus

Media:
    Greztky was an incredible player who deserves the title "the great one". As a coach... well... it's another story. Yes he didn't have a great team in a market who could care less about hockey. However, he still didn't win anything. He never made the playoffs and he lost more games than he won.

Sometimes, a lot of ex-players become coaches because of their reputation, but they don't necessarily have the right set of talents for that job.

A coach I'm really really looking foward to see in the NHL is Guy Boucher. He was the head coach of the Drummonville Voltigeurs in the minor leagues in Québec. In the summer, he was named head coach of the Hamilton Bulldogs, the habs team in the AHL. Keep an eye on him. A lot of professionals in the NHL refer to him as a next all star coach in a few years. I haven't seen him in action, but everytime I read interviews with in the media, I'm always amazed at his values and his intelligence (ex. he recruted two very experienced assistant-coaches for the bulldogs and said he wanted people with enough experience to challenge him and his decisions to not let him get lazy and to help him grow)

15. Triactus

Media:
    Argh, Markov was injured in Montréal's first game of the season. He will be out of a four months period... god, the habs are out of the playoffs right there... :(

16. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Well, given the Oilers' performance on Saturday, dropping their season at home opener, it looks like they'l be out of the playoffs again, too. What a bunch of clowns. I've gotta find a real team to root for, either that or travel back in time to when the Oil was a team of real hockey players rather than just a bunch of dorks.

17. Triactus

Media:
    hahaha, what dumb play Khabibulin did in the last minute. What was he trying to do? At least two Edmonton players were nearby. He didn't need to be afraid of a breakaway. And if he was trying to send the puck to the fowards to try for a quick goal, well that's a risky play and with 30 seconds left on the clock before your team gets at least one point in the team rankings. We saw it wasn't worth it...

It kinda reminded me of Conklin in the cup final a few years back... The Oilers are cursed I tell you... :)

18. Triactus

Media:
    The habs lost 4-3 to the Flames, even though they played their best game yet. Oh well, sometimes you win games you should have lost, and sometimes you lose game you deserved to win...

19. Triactus

Media:
    Woooo! The habs won last game in a shoot out. So they snap their 5 game losing streak... :banana:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.