1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NFL Final Four

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Agreed. Despite two of the TD's off turnovers came off of Big Ben's interceptions, I think the turnover that really killed them was the Mendenhall fumble. They had all the momentum going their way when that happened.

2. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    They can be proud. They played for it. No shame.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    As a disclaimer, I just read a story by Peter King from SI that basically said what I did - that the fumble was the biggest turnover - I just want to say I didn't pirate this from King - I came up with that statement prior to reading his article.

And I agree Merlanni - the Packers were simply the better team that day, and deserved the win.

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I also heard something interesting this morning, to the effect of - the Steelers' biggest strength most times was their worst weakness. Troy Polamalu was terrible and just isn't nimble enough against passing teams that feature some spread and nimble QB's/Receivers. Took a look at their stats against teams like Green Bay and Arizona for SB's, and New England in general and found that those teams simply abused Troy because he wasn't able to deal with the receivers, but against power teams like Baltimore, he was a complete stud. Very interesting, because I was thinking during the game "WTF is up with Polamalu, is he on qualudes?"

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Polamalu did get beat on that one TD pass, but the thing I was most confused by was not how he played, but the formations the Steelers used. Because the Packers used a lot of three and four receiver sets, the Steelers typically played two players deep, and one of them was always Polamalu, which doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense to me. Of course you're not going to have as much of an impact on the game when you start each play 15 yards past the line of scrimmage.

I understand that using such a strategy is designed to take away the deep play, and that the Steelers run defense is so good that they can stop that without bringing a safety into the box, but you also lose some flexibility in doing that. For example, the Packers ran 55 plays in the Super Bowl (not counting the two kneel-downs to end the game), and I saw one Polamalu blitz all game (because you cannot blitz when you're playing 15 yards off the line). That's one of the big parts of Polamalu's game - you move him around, and you never know where he's going to line up from one play to the next. But during the Super Bowl, he was lined up in the same place 90% of the time.

That's not why the Steelers lost the game though. The defense gave up 24 points (the interception returned for a TD isn't against the defense). Given how the Packers have been scoring in bunches this year, that's not that bad. The three turnovers absolutely killed them - especially the fumble when they were driving for what could have been a go-ahead score. When you look at the box score, that's the only stat that really stands out.

Plays: 64-55, in favor of Steelers
    Yardage: 387-338 in favor of Steelers
    First Downs: 19-15 in favor of Steelers
    Time of Possession: 33:25 - 26:25 in favor of Steelers
    Penalties: Steelers 6-55, Packers 7-67

Each team had 11 possessions (if you don't count the Packer's kneel-downs to end the game), and when you end three of those possessions with turnovers, it's hard to recover from that if you don't get at least one or two of your own. The only thing for which I will point my finger at the defense was the last Packers drive. The Steelers pulled to within 3 points with a little more than seven minutes to play. They needed a stop, and didn't get it. Not only did they give up a field goal that required the Steelers to respond with a TD, but they took over five minutes off the clock.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.