1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New Year's Resolutions

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Barmy Army, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Unless you put a ton of extra weight on, it's not going to make that much of a negative impact, really. It's not like everyone who's jogging is at their ideal weight (and even that isn't anywhere near an exact science), so unless you're very overweight already, you've got plenty of extra carrying capacity. Military training for instance includes running and marching with very heavy backpacks as standard. But as long as you're doing it yourself, you can adjust the amount of weights to personal taste.

2. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Lolrunning.

3. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

That's because the Militaries don't care about the long-term impact. You will only be a soldier for so long. I'm sure there is more awareness these days about how their training impacts the soldiers, but historically it wasn't considered an issue.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Um... most militaries today are professional, so many soldiers stay soldiers their whole careers, or at least for quite a long time. And as I said, adding a few kilos to your body weight certainly isn't going to cripple you while you run. If that was the case, nobody should be jogging to lose weight. Beer belly or weighted vest - same thing.

5. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I disagree. Carrying around a beer-belly is full time and your body adjust. Carrying aroung a weighted vest only when you are workign out is different. Your body is not use to it full time and wil have to work harder when doing so.

---------- Added 0 hours, 13 minutes and 20 seconds later... ----------

You made me curious Tal. So I just emailed the most knowledgable person I know on the subject, my wife, as she is a PHD in Physical Therapy. I posed the question to her as follows.

"Hon, if you were going for weight loss and looking NOT to injure your body, would it be a safe assumption to say that running and exercising while carrying around a ton of weight or alot of gear is a safe way to do so."

Her answer...
    "No. People who are out of shape should never work out while carrying around alot of weight. If you are running to lose weight, run uphill. It will build or tone muscle and still kepp you healthy cardio-vascularly without putting your body at much risk, though there is always some risk from any type of exercise. Carrying alot of wieght as in an extrra 40 pounds will put your joints and feet in stress. Just think about it this way. Why do you think all of your co-workers at the post office have problems with thier feet?"

She is referring to my previous job as a mail-carrier. Half the carriers were on "light-duty", mostly those who were 15 years in. They all had feet problems and wore special shoes that costs a fortune, usually around $250.00. The post office actually provided a catalog to its employeess to buy the shoes at a discount price, direct from the manufacturer.

That said, look at an NFL lineman. those behemoths are 350 plus, but are in good shape and last a whole game. Add 40 pounds of extra gear to them and see what happens. They would wear down much faster and wouldn't last a season.

6. Taluntain

Media:
    Huh? I made a point of explaining that we're talking about joggers who aren't already overweight and that the weights should be adjusted for comfort, not "a ton of weight". I'd start with a couple of kilos, not 20, geez! The way you've posed your question, the answer is absolutely correct. But we're not talking about overweight people putting on a ton of extra weight for jogging. At least I wasn't... Very overweight people shouldn't be running at all, exactly because of the reasons you listed. We're talking about people with a few extra pounds to lose.

7. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Back on topic, please.

Irony in action...

:p

8. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

High five for Splunge the Moderator!

9. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Just going to make a brief comment on the binliner thing: the others are right in telling you it is not a good idea. The additional sweat may cause a very short term weight loss, but it is just body water (and a required part of the cooling process). You'll be able to drink it back on after several glasses of water. It is only useful if trying to cut weight for a weigh-in, and even then a long way from ideal due to the likely impact on performance. Really, all the binliner is probably going to do is make you feel uncomfortable and dehydrated. Congrats on sticking with it through your first month though.

As an aside, I can't help but raise my eyebrows at Blades' wife's talk of 'tone muscle'. That's a phrase normally used by those who have no real idea of what they're talking about. Still, it could just be that she's simplifying to make her point.

Ha!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.