1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New TSA Security Features

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by NOG (No Other Gods), Nov 17, 2010.

1. Rahkir

Rahkir Cogito, ergo doleo

That is incredibly aggravating NOG. :/ Really makes you think our government is based on the entirely wrong concept of human nature...

Could have her arrested? I mean, it's good the police came into the picture at least somewhat on her side, but it doesn't seem like he did much to help. If I was in his position I would certainly have told the TSA Manager to go bleep himself and stop violating TSA guidelines.

Edit- Just watched the 11 minute video in the article. Even more aggravating. I don't understand how that happens.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    The incident perfectly captures the moronic 'better super safe than sorry' mentality that after 9/11 has taken grip of American security circles. Faced with a situation they were unfamiliar with the TSA goons decided to err on the side of super-caution, and in doing so subjected the citizen to their harassment (and exceeded the scope of the law) and approached her with paranoid suspicion and petty anger about her daring to talk back at them, presumably while also checking for 'preversions'. Colonel 'Bat' Guano lives, but he has stripped himself of his inhibitions.

Good article on the isssue
    'nuff said.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  3. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Here's a recent editorial from my paper that I liked -- it's short, so I'll post it here:

4. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    I disagree with him on one point. The blame doesn't fall on PCness (or at least not mostly). The blame falls squarely on the TSA and DHS administrators that ordered these procedures. That goes all the way up to Janet Napolitano, and possibly even Obama, in that I'm sure he could order a stop if he desired.

5. Ragusa

Media:
    A friend of mine is a jester. When he flew to London with his g/f a while back, he underwent the usual indignities of security screening, like passing the metal detector, taking off his shoes etc. Naturally, nothing objectionable was found. When he was finished and put on his shoes again, he beamed at the security officer, and emphatically declaimed: "Haha! And now I am going to strangle the pilot with my shoelaces!" The security officer cracked up (ah yes, the Brits and their vaunted sense of humour, and proportion). That was it.

Considering the zero tolerance attitude of the TSA to about anything, the incident would have led to his arrest, his probable addition to a no fly list as a 'possible security risk', and invariably to the stern question by some stone eyed (brained?) person: "Why do you want to strangle the pilot with your shoelaces?"

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    A jester? Do you mean a jokester? When you say jester, the image that springs to mind is a brightly dressed guy with bells on his hat and/or shoes ... which would be funny in and of itself in seeing him go through airport security.

7. Ragusa

Media:
    Is jokester a word?

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Yes, from Merriam-Webster:

Function: noun
    Inflected forms: plural joke·sters
    Meaning: a person who tells or makes many jokes ; a joker

9. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    I prefer jester. The imagery is better. Of course, I don't think jesters typically wore shoe laces, so that could present a problem.

10. Ragusa

Media:
    You're all are being so dour :p

11. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Althought they thought the idea was funny, the TSA agents strongly discouraged my use of the "Captain Morgan pose" -- plus they wouldn't let me see the picture.

12. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    I'm guessing that was for the scanner, not the pat-downs? It amazes me how sensitive those machines must be to pose. It doesn't make any sense.

Oh, and I saw a new report out a little while ago about how terrorists could conceal a whole host of things, such as explosives, knives, and even guns, using packaging designed to fit in with the contours of the body. Basically, fake fat rolls. Of course, now I want to go through one of those in a fat-suit, just to see if they could catch it. :)

13. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.