1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New system - $1,000 budget

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Blades of Vanatar, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Well, I splurged and bought this.... The wife hit for some extra cash on a scratch off this weekend, so I was able to add $600 more to my purchase,

http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668417.php

with a 21.5 inch Gateway monitor. I think I will be setup for a long time now.

With Win 7, will I still be able to play alot of the older games that play on my XP system with no modifications? I am referring to BG/IWD series, Panzer/Allied General, etc...

2. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Yes. with a 64 bit system you can play 32 bit games.

Once you played modern games....

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    @Rags - I don't like any "benchmark" that bases the final score off the *lowest* score. Hey M$, how about a weighted average score?!?! Your score would have still beaten mine because you have a Core2 Quad, but as it is...my score is only a 5.9, no thanks to my HDDs. :bad:

Win7 has two different "Program Files" folders. The one named "Program Files (x86) is for 32-bit programs. I’m my preview thread of Win7's beta and RC1, I noted some incompatibility issues with BG and IWD...the issue was fixed by installing their expansion packs and the expansions' patches.

Now that I think of it, I never tried to run either of those games under Win7's XP compatibility mode. :bad:

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    BoV, you too play Panzer General? :shake:

5. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    A 64-bit OS won't be able to run 16-bit programs, but that shouldn't be an issue as all the DOS-based ones will run fine in DOSBox anyway, and I can't think of any 16-bit Windows (3.0/3.1/9x) game that ran well in XP anyway.

And call me retro, but after playing modern games I still find myself going back to old ones and screaming "Technology has moved forward, why could they do this 20 years ago but not now!" :D

As far as I can tell this is just fluff. It makes absolutely no difference whether an application goes into this or that Program Files, or somewhere else for that matter. I'm using the 64-bit version of 7-zip and that installed in the x86 folder by default. Works like a charm. Actually come to think of it ALL programs/games install to x86 by default... I think the only stuff in the other one is what Windows placed there when it installed itself.

6. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    BoV - That is a very nice system. I think you will be happy with it for at least 4-5 years. Nice. :)

7. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Then you have fast HDD - my score was 5.9 as well before I got my SSD. Anyway, to me the sub scores are interesting, not so much the final score.
    That worked for me in Windows 7 beta. Haven't run then them since I have my official Win 7.

BoV,
    sweet machine. Good pick. Not as awesome as a personally assembled computer, but a good machine. Congrats.

8. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I really don't care much for the Windows 7 "performance test," so I use this one, which I think does better:

http://www.passmark.com/products/pt.htm

You can download a free evalution for 30 days.

9. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Oh yes Rags, outside of RPG games, Panzer and Allied General are probably what I have played the most of in my life. The Russian Campaign in Allied General is quite the challenge. Panzer General is the 1st WWII game I played and still think that no other game has matched it's playability. Part 2 wasn't bad either. I also enjoyed the Steel Panthers. Strategic Simulations Inc. games will forever be a part of my gaming.

Ziad likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.