1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New Message Boards Now Open!

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    On another note, the icons in PM's don't seem to work properly. Specifically, everything shows up as "Read" even though some aren't (I find it hard to believe that someone has read a PM I sent them within 1 second from when I sent the message).

Edit: Yay for multiple posting!

(Yes, I know you asked people not to abuse this. My two posts were totally different themes (even if the first one ws totally unnecessary), so hopefully I'm OK :p :) )

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Actually, that probably goes for you reading them. You have to send them with a read receipt if you want to make sure they get read. They might get flagged as read by default unless you request a read receipt.

Oh, and accidentally, I've finally fixed the thread title editing properly. At some point I applied the limit of 1 month to post editing instead of title editing erroneously, but this has now been fixed. You can edit posts indefinitely, but thread titles & post icons can only be changed for one month. Mods can do it after that if it needs to be done for some reason.

Tip: you can quick-edit the title of your thread by double-clicking in the thread row (to the right of the thread title) in the thread listing.

3. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I had a feeling I wasn't making myself clear. Rating the threads is fine. It is when someone has posted something that I think is good. The box comes up with Rate this post...I agree or approve...I disapprove. Then I go on to another thread where the same person has posted and again I think it is a good post but I can't give a rating I have to go rate other peoples posts before I can go back to the original poster. The feeling I am getting is that we are rating the poster and not the post. I don't care for that. What it boils down to is that I don't like the rating system for individuals or posts or whatever it is supposed to be.

Again, rating the threads is fine but I just think that the individual rating system is not good. Most of the posts (individuals) I have rated are in the Alleys. The number of people who post in the alleys is a bit limited. I may not agree with someone but that doesn't mean that his or hers post isn't good. Of course I can always choose to not rate posts or individuals The way the rating works now seems to me to be potentially artificial and even elitist.

That is my :2c:

Harbourboy and Taluntain like this.
  4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Ok, what you're talking about is adding to the user's reputation via the scales icon. And the feeling you're getting is quite correct; you are affecting a user's reputation via the scales, so effectively you are "rating" a user based on their posts. As I said, there really isn't any mechanic in place to rate specific posts. The thing about reputation is that it's not meant to be used on an hourly basis, but rather for more exceptional posts only (in the negative or positive sense).

There are also a few checks in place so that things don't get turned into a click-fest:

- Daily Reputation Clicks Limit: 10 (This is the number of reputation clicks that a user may give over any 24 hour period.)
    - Reputation User Spread: 20 (This setting is the number of different users that a person must give reputation to before they can hit the same person again.)

So, that 20 there is what's kept you from being able to rate someone again - you needed to give reputation to 20 others before you could give it to the same person again. This is simply a safeguard to prevent abuse of the reputation system. However, given the number of active posters here, 20 is absolutely too high for us, so I've lowered it to 5 now.

Oh and incidentally, I've just figured out that you can see your own reputation points by clicking on the scales in any of your own posts. :idea:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  5. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Thank you, Tal. I realized that there was a limit to how many ratings you could give. and I'm glad you lowered the number of different people you need to rate. At this time I would have a very hard time finding 20 posts from different people that I would want to rate. Not because we don't have at least 20 good posters but because of my current interests.:D

One other question: If you post a comment in the provided block does it show up somewhere? Nevermind, I found my own answer.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  6. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Just out of pure curiosity, how did you do this accidentally?

7. Taluntain

Media:
    I've actually stumbled upon the setting looking for something else entirely. It's anyone's guess how much longer it'd have been "broken" if I hadn't spotted it by coincidence.

8. Nakia

Media:
    Hey, neato! I keep discovering new things I had not noticed before. Under Board Statistics it shows the number of active members. 202 as of right now. Not the number who are logged in currently but I guess the number who have posted in a certain period of time. Love it.

9. Taluntain

Media:
    It's the number of registered members who have visited the boards (logged in) in the last 30 days IIRC.

10. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] I've updated and uploaded the BoM Rules and BoM FAQ.

While the rules remain as relevant as ever, the FAQ doesn't cover many of the new board features here, so for the time being, the best source of information about any of the new stuff is this thread that you're reading right now and the default vB FAQ, though that is also quite lacking as far as the more advanced and newer board features go. Eventually this will all be updated, of course.

11. Taluntain

Media:
  12. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

Couldn't find covering on this: How big was the imported database? Can't even guess the size of a board 8 years running...

13. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] UBB used flat files, so there was no actual database... everything was stored in tens of thousands of separate files. There was about 600MB of it, though the actual imported content was closer to 500MB. Not that much, but you have to keep in mind that this is exclusively stored text - no images, attachments or anything but pure text.

Interestingly, now that all the data is in an actual database, it takes significantly less space... something over 300MB.

Edit: Btw, if anyone else has any abandoned accounts here that they would like to merge with their current accounts, PM me. I've already done 2 merges today.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
  14. Splunge

Media:
    [​IMG] So basically, I could have bought you a flash drive and saved myself a hundred bucks. :p

I know I am (intentionally) totally missing the point here, but I just couldn't resist. :p

15. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

I agree with Morgoroth. I want no part of the reputation system either -- and TBH, it's not like I care how useful other people find my posts. Thankfully it can be disabled.

Other than that, the new boards require a learning curve... but they're much better than the old boards.

And Tal... I'm curious to know - what made you choose vBulletin over free alternatives like phpBB?

16. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] I've been wanting to switch to vB for years. Back then it was simply the best message board software overall, and it was software literally designed to replace UBB. I think it still is the best today, and will continue to be in the future, but IPB has started to compete with vB pretty fiercely, whereas in the past vB hasn't had any real competition in the form of comparable platforms.

There are several decent free message boards out there, but phpBB is really the one I'd be least likely to pick. For one thing, its current and near future feature list is nowhere near vB's. Secondly, support with free boards is so-so, whereas vB's is excellent. Most importantly, vB gets patched the same day any security hole in it is found, and the holes are rarely severe enough to be easily exploitable. phpBB gets patched after a few hundred thousand phpBB installs world-wide have been defaced or more seriously exploited. I've seen it happen about a dozen times on the sites I host alone over the years - more than reason enough to stay away.

Another extremely important factor in the switch to vB has also been the relatively good import system and the support I got using it, which has been very extensive, as I've had to check, recheck and adjust dozens of things before doing the final import to make sure that our board content has ported over pretty much flawlessly.

17. Taluntain

Media:
  18. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Tal, any chance you could increase the char limit in PMs? There's no way I can explain myself in 5000 characters! ;)

19. Taluntain

Media:
    Christ, just WHAT are you writing there? Ok, 10k it is.

20. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    A typical run-of-the-mill answer without quotations. :p Thanks.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.