1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New Message Boards Now Open!

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Well, that could be easily taken care of by making a forum rule. And then having you personally editing every post that didn't comply.

Of course, you're probably too much of a wuss to take that route.

:p

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:

It does look weird when quotes don't nest though, I'll give you that. Hard to decide what's the lesser of two evils here.

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Hmm... Would there be any plugin to make the info section on the left shrink if the post itself is not big?

4. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Aaah, nice to see the old gem-looking 'new post indicators' are back. I didn't particularly like the noticeboard images. :thumb:

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    chev, possibly, though it'd make more sense to just rearrange the stuff that's there so that it was more in line with the old boards.

6. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    It took me 1 week to get my file on these boards up. The password needed reseting and the timer on my email kept expiring :confused:

Still, my first post on the new system. :)

7. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] If anyone is reading this and needs help making the switch, please don't hesitate to contact me!

8. The Gatekeeper Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Very nice Tal, I love what you've done with the place, I'll be sure to come by and post from time to time :).

9. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] If you're wondering why all of your "post read" markers have reset to the start of this month, it's because I've switched to storing this information in the database and no longer in cookies. So seeing which threads have new posts in them and which posts are new since your last board check should now work accurately (and also from any computer that you log in on). After you've viewed all new posts for today, you can hit the "Mark Forums Read" link at the bottom of the forums list on the front page of the boards and the next time you visit, you'll properly see only new posts being highlighted.

10. The Gatekeeper Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Yeah, after I spent an hour or so on the forum it's alot nicer than the old version. I see you've moved to using more sophisticated hosting techniques (you gone to SQL from the old CGI-bin) and you added a cute little reputation module for people and threads. Good stuff, the loading times are great, no spambot attacks, and the database transition seemed to have gone very smoothly. If you did this alone, excellent work Tal!

11. Taluntain

Media:
    Thanks, I'm glad you like it. There's a lot more of the good stuff to come. ;)

12. Taluntain

Media:
    I've made a few changes to the date & time display. We're also switching to am/pm instead of the 24 hour time format for the moment.

13. Taluntain

Media:
    I've moved the post icons block above the text entry area now, so it's like it was on the old boards again.

14. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    With PM's that have several replies back and forth, is there any way to see everything starting from the original message to the most recent response? Because the way it is now, if you click on a PM, you only see that message, and none of the stuff that came before it.

And I'm glad to see some of the other changes you're making. When are you going to make the switch back to UBB? :p

15. Taluntain

Media:
    Nope, the PM system in vB is fundamentally different from UBB's, where PMs were more like private threads. In vB, PMs are actually what the name suggests; separate private messages. In the future vB might get a private thread system too, but at the moment, it is as it is. For the record, I think UBB's implementation of private threads was much more convenient.

As for switching back to UBB, heh... I really miss some of its features and can't understand why they haven't been implemented in vB (yet), or why they've gone with a different implementation (which is almost always worse or less convenient), but overall, vB is a huge improvement and a platform I can build on for years to come, so I'm relatively happy with it.

16. Splunge

Media:
    Yeah, I know. There are some things I liked about the old Boards that the new one doesn't have, but all in all, this one is much better. :) I'm just happy that I can have the occasional opportunity to be nostalgic for the good ol' days. :geezer: :p

17. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

Hi there,

good work with all the importing! I just wanted to add one observation: The buttons don't fit with a dark background at all (white edges). But you already posted that things will undergo changes, so good luck with that!

- Maertyn

18. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I find it very easy to move around in the new Board. Congratulations, Tal, things seem to be working well.

So far the only thing I do not care for is that Rep thing. It ask you to rate a post but I get the feeling you are rating the poster. If someone makes two good posts you can only rate one then you need to go rate posts by other people before you can rate the second good post. Hope that makes sense. I understand what I'm saying perfectly.

19. Taluntain

Media:
    Yea, I'll get a new set of buttons and other relevant icons when I get around to it, but there are still a few things with higher priority than that at the moment.

Edit: Nakia; rating threads (with stars) and using reputation (via the scales icon in every post) are two completely different things. Rating threads is done on a thread level; you don't rate a specific post inside a thread.

Reputation, however, gives you the ability to add or take away a specific poster's reputation points, but this is not exactly a post-level rating because it doesn't show publicly anywhere who got what reputation for which post.

I'm not quite sure what you mean (so I thought I'd explain the two concepts just in case). Or are you saying that you can't rate (with stars) two threads by the same poster consecutively?

20. Splunge

Media:
    Don't worry Tal, I usually don't know what Nakia is saying either. :p Of course, that isn't saying much, because I usually don't know what I'm saying. :D

Qhydtr gjsdytr bf dld afl!!!

Harbourboy and Taluntain like this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.