1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New Message Boards Now Open!

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Hey, is it just me, or is it impossible to change the actual thread title? I can add and change my post title, but I can't edit the name of the thread. :bad: :rolling:

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Hm, I've set the time allowed for editing to 0, but apparently that doesn't make it indefinite, but rather disables editing of thread titles altogether. Odd... there seems to be no option to make it indefinite. I've set it to allow title edits for up to 1 month after thread creation until I figure a way to disable it altogether.

3. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

[​IMG] I must say I hugely disapprove of the reputation system and will boycott it for my part. I don't like ranking people's contributions to a thread. This becomes especially futile in the alley where I might feel compelled to give negative points for someone stating an opinion I happen to greatly disagree with. Also I dislike creating such "hierarchies" on this lovely community. Every post is in my opinion equally important. Idiotic behaviour is punished with the plaques and moderator warnings.

Not much else to complain the conversion seems to have gone pretty well and most functions are not that different from before. In general it only seems that this format has a significantly better potential for improvement than the last one. Some of the icons still seem a bit dodgy but Tal allready said they would be fixed eventually.

Once again a job well done Tal. :thumb:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
    Nakia likes this.
  4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    You have a lot of a point, but fortunately, people who would be more seriously tempted to screw someone's reputation if they don't agree with his opinions, will generally score little reputation power, perhaps 1-2 points or some such. It will all be made up by frequent contributors and long-term members appreciating the same person for his contributions, I think. :)

Harbourboy likes this.
  5. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Yes but I really don't see much good in this system. If I see a post that is especially good I simply declare it openly in the thread. If it's very bad I say that too or refrain from commenting at all. If it's just completely moronic I ask the moderators if the post in question breaks any house rules. We've seen plenty of people get outraged on the alleys and when touchy subjects are discussed I can very well see the rating system be used in an improper fashion.

Trellheim likes this.
  6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    No problem, I know cosmetic details like these are far from being a priority, and besides I'm sure I can wait until other problems have been addressed :) I was just wondering whether this was the new look. Thanks for the answer.

I've also realised that the little "V" that I mentioned takes me to the first of the new posts. Great addition, as I can see straight away what has been added to the thread without having to re-read old posts to make sure I've not missed anything. I like this feature.

Ah yes, I forgot you'd explained this already. Sorry!

7. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I don't think anyone has pointed this out (and I could be horribly wrong, I basically just searched the thread for o' and O'), but the change of capitalization from Boards O' Magick to Boards o' Magick is reaaaally throwing me off. But I can safely say the new boards caught me off guard when I came back, thats for damn sure!

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It's a mistake that's lingered on the old boards for years. It should always have been o'. Now was a good time to fix that too.

Harbourboy likes this.
  9. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    One thing I don't like is that the post icons are from the starter of the thread rather than the most recent poster. I liked the old Boards' way in this regard.

As an aside, I'm happy that I can now look back fondly on the good ol' days. :p

Edit: and is there any way to get a 12 hour clock with am and pm, rather than the 24 hour clock?

Aah yes, them was the days. :p

Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  10. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I won't go so far as to say that I hugely disapprove or will boycott it but I do think Morgoroth has a point.

Actually I probably go to the opposite side of boycott and try to rate posts just to keep some sense of balance.

Kitrax likes this.
  11. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I understand Morgoroth's point. I will probably be using Reputation very little, especially negative Reputation, and I will not use it in the Alleys at all. Let's see how it is used, and once the dust settles, if it is widely abused we can deliver a petition to Tal to have the system disabled. :)

@Morgoroth: You can hide your Reputation level in the User Control Board if you wish to.

12. Taluntain

Media:
    It was a 24-hour clock on the old boards too... were you able to change it there in your profile? On the new boards this is a global setting.

Faraaz likes this.
  13. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yep, in Time Format, you could choose between the two. It's just that I'm so used to the am/pm thing, with the 24 hour clock I have to think for a bit about what time it is once it gets past 12:59. You know - old dogs, new tricks, etc.

And just to be clear, in my previous post, when I was talking about post icons, I meant what is seen from the main page. Not that it matters all that much.

14. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Is there a character limit per post, such as only 1,000 characters or something? I am wondering if that's the reason for the posts in this thread. :confused::hmm:

15. Taluntain

Media:
    Splunge, hm... I'll look into that. I've noticed the post icon behaviour too.

kuemper, there is a limit, but I think it's 10k... 3-4k could still go into each of the posts there. I'll set it to 15k and join a couple of posts.

16. Splunge

Media:
    While I'm on a roll, when using the "quote" function to reply to a post, if there is an imbedded quote within the quote you're replying to, it doesn't show up. I know other Boards don't have this problem (G3 is an example).

17. Taluntain

Media:
    If that limitation wasn't in place I'd have to set it myself. Because, seriously, people quoting full posts is bad enough (is it that hard to cut the irrelevant bits out?). Now imagine everyone nesting quotes as well. *shudder*

So, as far as I'm concerned, this is not a problem - it makes sense not to allow it.

18. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

yeh, sometimes i will be commenting on both the persons quote and the embedded quote. and like you said some boards do it automatically, other you have to do it your self, quote in a quote.

but i suppose if the coding is in place for quote in a quote, and you didnt what the embedded quote you would have to take it out, either way some one has to do a little extra

i dont really mind too much either way, and i hardly ever find myself in a situation where im am referring to both the persons post and its embedded quote.

19. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Ok, I've modified the style in such a way that only avatars/portraits + titles show to the left of the posts for those users who have them. Everyone's gem rank is still visible on their profile page. This will reduce the clutter in threads themselves, but still allow everyone to see their gem rank there.

20. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

yeh, it did look alittle cluttered, also some people's gem rank didnt show up in addition to their avatar anyway, i dont think mine did.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.