1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New Message Boards Now Open!

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Soooooo.....by that logic, you should have a dozen or so boxes by now. :p

Seriously though, I have a higher rep, but I only have one box. Something screwy is going on here. :skeptic: :rolling:

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Kitrax, Tal isn't talking about Rep Power (currently 11 for you). He's talking about Rep Points, which you get from other people. You can see how many points you have by going into your User CP, or by clicking on your scale that shows under your Rep Power. (Clicking on other people's scales is how you start the process of assigning them rep points.)

Your Rep Power is based on a combination of rep points, number of posts, and length of time as a registered member of SP.

Apparently, you only get extra boxes for rep points.

3. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Tal

Can we expect the 'current threads' feature on sorcerers making a return in the near future?

How did we get the rep value when the boards switched? There were no points on the old boards!

Kitrax likes this.
  4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Apeman, yes, definitely... as soon as I get around to it.

As for rep points, everyone started at 10 when we switched over, which is what every new member starts with too. Anything anyone has more now has been received exclusively on the new boards.

I've checked, and what we allow is actually rating CHANGES. So if you have already rated a thread, we simply allow you to change your rating at any time by rating again (as opposed to you not being able to change your original vote once cast). You still only get 1 rating per thread.

5. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Thanks, Tal. I was concerned that I could screw up the statistics (Alley folks know how I love statistics). Works for me.

6. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Great!

I always check sorcerers first and then link to the boards, I kinda miss that feature now.

But if we started at 10 how come I'm at eight now, does it decrease when you don't post?

7. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Apeman, you're confusing rep power (your 8) with rep points (which you get from others). See my response to Kitrax above for a more detailed explanation.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Miraculous, I know, but Splunge knows what he's talking about in this case. :p

9. Splunge

Media:
    Hey!

Well, OK, it is a rare occurence, but still... :p

Anyway, I found the whole rep power vs rep points very confusing at first. And to make matters worse, even though they're not the same thing, when you give someone rep points, the points they get is equal to your rep power.

My head hurts just thinking about it.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2007
  10. Splunge

Media:
    I don't know if this has anything to do with the new Boards per se as this just started happeneing within the last couple of days, but it's definitely related to SP. Whenever I use the "Back to" arrow on the IE toolbar, I have to click it twice to get it to actually take me to the previous page. This only happens on the SP Boards, and nowhere else on the internet. It also happens both on my home computer and work computer. (I don't have ads disabled, if that makes a difference.)

Has anyone else noticed this?

11. Taluntain

Media:
    Doesn't happen for me... I'd say try disabling the ads for a day or two and see if it makes any difference.

12. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I don't disable the ads and it doesn't happen with me.

13. Taluntain

Media:
    Well, different ads show depending on your geographical location, so it could be just one specific ad, so it wouldn't affect everyone.

14. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Ooooooh, I see new icons next to the posts! I like them, they seem more straightforward than the default icons that were on the new boards. I'm still not sure what makes a thread "hot". Is it if it's had more than X number of replies in a set amount of time?

15. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] There's a separate thread for discussion on the new icons.

A hot thread is any thread with more than 15 posts or 150 views.

16. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    :doh:

I somehow saw the icons but failed to notice there was a thread about them :shake:

17. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Hey Tal, can you crank up the character limit for PMs to 12 or 15K? I'm starting to having trouble expressing myself with 10k.

18. Taluntain

Media:
    You're not debating with chev, are you? :shake:

Upped.

19. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Discussing, not debating. Thanks.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.