1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New here, some questions

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Memento Mori, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Memento Mori Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

1)Asimar sorceror
    2)drow stormlord
    3)svirfneblin dreadmaster
    4)open

2. Vassago Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I'm not too found of it either. However, w/ dualing small blades and weapon finesse, your dex modify comes into play instead of brute strength. Although for a melee person, they should have a higher strength. Again, this was a just a "rough" draft of a proposed character.

3. Memento Mori Gems: 3/31

I'm thinking of a tiefling monk1/ranger1/rogue x but I don't get weapon finesse available for first feat. Also, who else in my party besides this will be good for ranged?

4. Vassago Gems: 5/31

Need BAB +1, Rogue doesn't get that until level 2, but Monk & Ranger get it at level 1. So the next time you get to take a feat, it will be available. I like Tieflings too. I used one for my current Fighter 4/Rogue X.

I'm not sure who else you are going to have in your party, could you post who you think you are going to take now?

5. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Please explain why you have 2 Clerics and no Wizards in your current line-up.
    And your only non-magic charecter will probably be a finessed charecter with lower than adequate BAB.

6. Memento Mori Gems: 3/31

I heard wizards weren't that great in IWD2. I ended up going with a Tiefling monk/ranger/rogue. Oddly enough when I added the ranger level he didn't get the free feats for dual wielding...

7. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

@Vassago
    Sorry, monks have middle-way BAB, just like the rogue, priests,...
    They have more attacks, sure, but lower BAB.

In any case it's best if you start with rogue for skill points. You can manage till third level with ranged weapons.

Wizards are not all that powerful in IWDII, true. The cost of wizard scrolls amounts to a fortune if you wish to have a versatile spellcaster. Some are found, but they only suffice for one wizard. He does get spell levels at a level sooner than a sorcerer though. Also (i'm not sure if it's implemented) a wizard gets a extra feat every fifth level, which is very useful for spell focuses and spell augmenting feats (spirit of flame,...)

If he has 8 strenght and a cleric then the logical course is Bull's Strenght. From 2 to 5 strenght will at least negate his damage penality or even add +1 to damage on main hand (off hand gets 0.5 strenght bonus, rounded down, so 0 in this case).

Btw, i really dont think his Attack Bonus will be too low. With high dexterity (which he will most likely increase later on as well) and middle BAB it shouldnt be a problem. I played a fighter 4/sorcerer x to the ice temple and until then he had absolutely no trouble at all hitting the enemies, eventhough his BAB is actualy lowe than monk 1/ranger 1/ rogue x. Damage output is another story alltogether though.
    You'll have plenty of sneak attack, so i shouldnt worry to much about that.

Another point is that if you intend to dish some damage with this char, you'll need to sneak attack the enemies. And that means this guy wont be the one enemies will attack first. So you'll need another char with high AC to stand up front. Clerics might do the trick, i dont know i havent played one yet :p

8. Vassago Gems: 5/31

You don't actually get the feats for free, but they are enabled whenever your character has light armor on. If you were to select both of the feats, they would be enable regardless of what kind of armor you were wearing.

According to websites and the manual, this is true, but my Wiz is only level 1, so I can't actually back this up.

In my current game, I am finally using a Cleric as a secondary tank instead of range character throwing the occasional heal spell. With the right stats, them seem to be able to hold their own in battle. Plus if you wade them into the thick of things and they need to heal your main tank, then they usually don't have to move towards them because they will probably be close enough from engaging in melee battle with the enemy.

9. Memento Mori Gems: 3/31

Well, is there a dual wielding build that doesn't have to sneak attack?

10. Vassago Gems: 5/31

Just b/c your character dual wields doesn't mean he has to sneak attack. In IWD2, a sneak attack is counted when your character hits a monster who is focused on someone/something other than your character that is doing the hitting. There is an advantage to do a sneak attack. The sneak attack does your normal damage plus 1D6 extra damage and the extra damage value goes up as you increase in Rogue levels. I also thought that if you sneaked attacked an enemy that something of theirs was lowered for the attack roll, but I can't seem to find what it was or remember. Of course, I could always be wrong about that, wouldn't be the first time ;)

11. Memento Mori Gems: 3/31

So anyway I've got a tiefling monk1/ranger1/and he just leveled up to rogue 1. I don't see where you can turn on the ambidexterity and dual wielding feat, are they just automatically on? What should I give him for skills/feats now that he's a rogue? Thanks for the tips as always.

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

They are automatically on when you wield two weapons. There is a table at the very back of the manual that shows the attack penalties for main hand and offhand depending on the size of weapon used and which of those two feats you have.

13. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I dont think it shows it, but it's sure working. Best way to check is just to press R and see AB if you really have -2 penality for both hands.

I suppose hide&move silently is always useful since you'll be wanting to use your sneak attack. Talking skills are always useful as well. Also, alchemy is used for some sort of sneak attack feat you can take later on. But i heard it isnt that useful.

For feats i reckon nothing is a must-have. Roleplaying choices. Toughness, saving throw increasing feats and weapon focus if you dont know anywhere else to put it.

14. Shrikant

There are more than a few spells in IWD II which wont make the cut when considering the Sorcerers selection but are useful nonetheless. Summons come to mind.
    So having a Wizard is a very good backup plan. And you needn't buy all the spells put up for sale before you can cast one. Wait untill a time when you have way too much money in your hands.
    They also do get the extra feats at L1,5,10,15...

The cleric can be a main Tank/Decoy for a while but making a high AC build will eventually be easier with arcane spells.

A rouge who takes the Evenom weapon can do this:
    The first successful attack with the weapon forces a Fortitude save (20 DC) or the target temporarily loses 1d6 points of Constitution. One round later, the target must make a second Fortitude save (20 DC) or lose an additional 1d6 points of Constitution. The Constitution loss lasts for 10 rounds. This ability can be used once per day.
    Prerequisite: 1 level of rogue, Alchemy 8 or greater

The Hamstring feat allows a rogue character to sacrifice 2d6 points of sneak attack damage to reduce the target's movement by 50% for ten rounds.

The only offensive HLA for a Rouge is Crippling Strike.
    Any time the character makes a successful sneak attack, the attack does its normal damage and also causes 1 point of temporary strength damage.

15. Memento Mori Gems: 3/31

The character in question (tiefling monk1/ranger1/rogueX) is pretty weak so far, he keeps getting killed repeatedly in Shaengarne Ford.

16. Shrikant

Are you already using her as a Decoy? In that case what is her AC?
    It may be prudent to use one of the priests as a tank for the time being. Let the rouge use bows for now.

17. Vassago Gems: 5/31

Post stats and what equipment your Tiefling has. To get the Monk's AC bonus from Wis, you can't wear armor, which works to your advantage with dual-weilding. However, if your WIS and DEX are not high enough, you're going to be screwed on AC. If you made your Tiefling 20 DEX & 18 WIS and have one level of Monk, then your AC bonus should be +5 for 20 DEX and +4 for 18 WIS for a total of +9 giving you 19 AC for a level 2 character (not including the Ranger level). So the now the question I have is what levels does your Tiefling have? Did you start him/her out as a Rogue?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.