1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New here, some questions

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Memento Mori, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Memento Mori Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

What race? Also, anyone have any specific suggestions as to the other members? Thanks again.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Sorcerers benefit from Charisma so a Charisma race like Aasimar is reasonable idea.

3. Memento Mori Gems: 3/31

Should I go pure sorceror or start as melee? Here's an idea, start a drow monk and then go for sorceror so he gets an AC boost.

And a quick edit, I think I'm gonna try the ultimate AC tank from the JUPP instead of the half orc, but if I'm a deep gnome I won't get to use the game's greataxes. Also, do I need a cleric talker or can the sorceror do all the talking? What's a better choice for the cleric?

Then after that I just need one more member.

[ August 13, 2004, 00:49: Message edited by: Memento Mori ]

4. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

The deep gnome can use greataxes, it just looks stupid and I seem to remember that the decoy in JUPP isn't really a good tank with high strength, so it may not be really effective.

Your sorcerer can do the talking if you give him high intelligence so he can take the talking skills.

You could make the cleric your tank and/or you could keep the fighter/barb.

5. Memento Mori Gems: 3/31

No I was gonna use the deep gnome tank, not the decoy. Also what do you think of taking a level of monk for the sorceror, or does that complicate things too much. So here's what we have

1)sorceror talker (drow bard/sorceror?)
    2)pure AC tank
    3)drow morninglord of lathander or half-orc cleric of tempus
    4)a paladin derivative so I can get the holy avenger, suggestions?

6. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

@ vassago
    Sorry, I meant Undead Targos prologue. Bit tougher than OC prologue. On a previous solo run, I cleared Shaengarne Bridge with a monk1/pally2/sorcerer10.

@ memento mori
    Not bad--gets your sorc evasion, and if you go monk(2) you get deflect arrows (+1AC vs. ranged). Downside is if your sorc is going to be the talker, you'll refuse rewards just like the paladin.

7. Memento Mori Gems: 3/31

D'oh! I think I'll go with a bard/sorceror build. Now all I need to know is the cleric and the number 4 slot. Thanks as always.

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Why are you going for the Bard option in your sorcerer? What are you going to use the Bard functionality for? Your sorcerer will be too busy casting spells to ever sing.

9. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Absolutely, there's not much use of a bard song with a good sorcerer. Way to many spells begging for realease ;)

10. Khemsa Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

@ Menion Leah

I think he means the high AC tank in the melee party, not the decoy in the arcane party. The melee party tank has 16 strength and, as a high level cleric, he can boost that strength so high that he can keep pace with a half-orc tank. Throw in Holy Power and he can probably out-damage your standard fighter/barbarian tank. At worst, he won't be far behind.

11. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

Harbourboy, with "Lingering Song" feat the sorcerer won't have to sing all the time. Even better - with the current bug (?) you may pause the game, have the sorcerer sing and stop singing then unpause... the song will last for two rounds.

12. Vassago Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Bard/Sorcerer isn't such a good mix and the reason is because if you're Bard is singing and you want to cast a Sorcerer spell, he's going to have to stop singing first. Not to mention I don't think Bard levels is going to do anything useful for your Sorcerer. Now a Monk of the Dark Moon 2 or 3/Sorcerer X wouldn't be bad. Just give him high WIS, CHA & DEX. 2 levels of Monk will give you Deflect Arrows and 3 levels of Monk will give you Still Mind (+2 bonus to saving throws against spells and effects from the Enchantment school). Give him a bow or crossbow for a weapon and I'll think you'll be set.

Another good combo is Monk of the Broken Ones 2 or 3/Cleric Painbearer of Ilmater. Since Clerics need WIS for spells, this is a natural fit.

13. Memento Mori Gems: 3/31

Cool, that sounds like it will work. Now wht about a Sorceror/Paladin to wield the holy avenger?

14. Gothmog

Well, sure, it's one of the most powerful builds, natural fit in statistics. Awsome saves because of sky high charisma needed, all the rest Paladin benefits (avenger, +1strenght&wisdom, disease,...)
    So, whenever you want to you can just join the melee with a single spell that makes you an Uber fighter - Tenser's transformation. Easy as a pie.

If you'll have this guy to talk to people, though, you'll miss a lot of quest rewards, that's why i rather play fighter/sorcerer.

15. Cryo Mantis Gems: 3/31

Can someone explain the need for Wisdom even if your a character is a Tank? My main talker is a Tank and he has extremely low Wisdom. I have yet to find an advantage to having good Wisdom even if your character is a Tank not to mention I've never gotten any different dialogue even with low Wisdom (I've got a character with good Wisdom and I've compared the dialogue, nothing different).

As for the fighter/barbarian, I'm sure you've heard many people mention this but it's recommended that you use a Shield Dwarf rather than the Half-Orc. My current party consists of the following (this is after playing through normal and past the Lost Followers on Heart of Fury):

Shield Dwarf Barbarian (x)/Fighter (4)
    This is my main tank. I've had him take out several Hook Horrors and some Duergar by himself.

Aasimar Paladin of Ilmater (x)/Fighter (6)
    My secondary tank. The only thing he's got over my Shield Dwarf is his Lay on Hands ability. My only complaint is that you can only use it once a day :( .

Tiefling Sorcerer (pure)
    My primary bombardier. It's because of her, and only her, that I've taken out the Duergar outpost so many times and with relative ease. I could practically take it out with just her.

Drow Cleric (what type of cleric he is escapes me at the moment) (x)/Fighter (4)
    Primary healer and secondary spellcaster. 'Nuff said.

Human Druid (x)/Fighter (4)
    My primary buffer. I use her to cast Barkskin, Stoneskin, Aura of Vitality, and other such things.

My 6th character tends to change... right now he's a Human Stormlord of Talos (x)/Fighter (4) but I'm trying to find something more suitable... Too bad the maximum number of allowed characters is 6, otherwise I'd put in a Monk and a Wizard.

[ August 13, 2004, 20:43: Message edited by: Cryo Mantis ]

16. Gothmog

Most importantly is WILL saving throw. There's nothing like having one and only meat shield up front with high AC when a Hold Person catches him, he fails his saving throw and a matter of seconds he's lying on the floor, beaten to a pulp.

So, WILL saving throw. Every modifier (14-2, 16-3, 18-4) gives you the same amount to WILL save. There are items and spells to make up for this, of course, but they all take time&space, when having decent wisdom is free&neverending.

17. Memento Mori Gems: 3/31

OK, I've started with the new party. One thing I don't like about my new talker is that he just doesn't have the tact that my old dreadmaster had. Meaning I don't get as many cool dialog choices, but oh well. Also if I take my paladin to sorceror that leaves me with 3 blasters and one melee, unless you're absolutely sure that the pal/sor is good in melee. I say 3 blasters because I chose a stormlord of talos for a cleric. Drow, by the way.

And before I forget, what should be the starting stats/skills for these characters?

1)aasimar sorceror
    2)female drow cleric of talos
    3)male drow paladin (and at what level switch to sorceror)
    4)male deep gnome rogue1/monk1/dreadmaster 28

Come to think of it, do I even need 2 clerics? This needs to be re-thought I guess. So confusing!

[ August 13, 2004, 21:09: Message edited by: Memento Mori ]

18. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

You should use at least one cleric as a tank. If you dual your paladin to a sorcerer at a low level, he won't be a very good tank unless you cast tenser's transformation and that makes it impossible to cast other spells.
    If you dual him at a higher level, you can benefit from the sorcerer's buff spells tremendously and be a great melee fighter.

19. Gothmog

It is pretty much a decision between constant and early meleeing and awsomly powerful melee fighting later on.
    Truly, a lower level palading and higher sorc is definitely more powerful, no doubt about that, but still, it could be easier to run through the game with a frontliner at all times, without the need to cast a spell or two to make him a melee powerhouse.

Depends on what you want.

20. Memento Mori Gems: 3/31

So my party is OK? It just depends on what I do with them. I get it. What level of paladin do I go to before I switch to sorc? I hope I picked good stats/skills, I'll post them later if I can.

OK here they are...

sorceror = 7 18 10 13 12 20
    gnome = 16 20 14 3 20 1
    cleric = 16 8 14 12 18 12
    paladin = 16 10 14 12 12 16

The only characters I'm not sure about are the gnome and the paladin, I just need to know what to do with them.

[ August 13, 2004, 23:03: Message edited by: Memento Mori ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.