1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

new guy here. couple questions

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Eyebreaker7, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Acrux Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

"Battleguard" would be "Battleguard of Tempus" - one of the cleric domains.

2. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    where would i find information on such classes? i can't find them in the manual i d/l.

Level: Drd 2, Rgr 2, Ilmater 2, Selune 2

i'm assuming that this means druids and rangers get the spell at spell level 2. the ilmater and selune listing must mean if your a cleric with those domains? or are they a different class? like the battleguard? hope i'm explaining this right.

3. Acrux Gems: 8/31

Veteran

I just checked the manual, and I'm really surprised the domain info isn't in there!?!

You are correct that the spell listing means that Druids and Rangers get the spell at spell level 2. the Ilmater and Selune means that the spell is one of their domain spell options for the 2nd spell level slot.

In IWD2, you select domains (or orders) for clerics, paladins, and monks. For paladins and monks these orders affect (and restrict) what dual-classing options you have. Cleric domains affect domain spells (obviously), and provide a few bonus skills or feats. They are restricted by alignment, and there are nine such domains:

4. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    thanks a TON for the info. much appreciated. where did you get it? is there another manual? what about info about paladins and monks? can i find that anywhere?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  5. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Yep battleguards are the bomb as you get a cleric weilding a battleaxe! Gotta love it.

6. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
  7. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    thanks for the info guys. guess i didn't poke around enough or i would have found it.
    much appreciated :)

just now re-reading everything and i noticed this line. why was str useless in BG2?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2008
  8. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

In BG2 there were a lot of spells and equipment which set str to 18/00 or even more.

The answer to "when should i take the 4 levels of fighter?" for the cleric or paladin is never.

It's good for the party balance if the sorcerer levels the slowest, but the game will be far easier when you choose a race without ECL penalty for him.

9. coineineagh

Media:
    Yeah, similarly there are loads of spell and items which boost strength, though admittedly only the highest single bonus counts. Also these STR bonus items are often for warriors only, another reason to take a level paladin or ranger for your spellcasters.

Constitution bonus items are less common though, and there are precious little spells that influence constitution. There's a Bull's Strength (1d4+1 STR, 1hr/lvl), Cat's Grace (1d4+1 DEX, 1hr/lvl), Champion's Strength (1d4+4 STR, 10min/lvl), but there's no Oxes Constitution spell. This is another reason why improving your constitution takes precedence over strength. With 18STR it's still possible to bump it up to 26 with Champion's Strength, but getting your 18CON improved is more difficult.

The (near) single class paladin is mainly a warrior, so weapon expertise helps them fight. I'd take the 4 levels fighter before level 9. I don't understand what good speedleveling your paladin would do, his spellbook is pretty crummy.

:confused:party balance? Yeah, you wouldn't want your sorcerer to become too powerful too soon. Wait, yes you would!
    kmonster is playing a different kind of game than I am, I guess. My advice is based on powergaming, but if you think this causes imbalances, you definitely have roleplaying in mind. Roleplaying parties are guaranteed to be more of a challenge though!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  10. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    so should i go aasimar or human for my sorcerer? i figure aasimar because it gives me +2 to cha but it also gives me 1 ECL higher (or is it lower).

think i'll change my fighter/rogue to a drow instead. going by what was mentioned about SR being better for a melee character. or should i keep it tiefling?

11. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

human sorcerers get access to spells earlier, but aasimar sorcerers get more spells and better DCs for their spells, as well as bonuses to talking skills because of their CHR. Personally I go with aasimar, but there are valid reasons for going human, such as being able to get away with less INT and still have enough skill points, or wanting to multi class to something other than paladin.

12. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Human is far more powerful. Being able to cast the spells as fast as possible helps far more than 1-2 bonus spells and the little increase in save difficulty.

If you choose drow you have to keep the levels even in order to avoid a multiclassing penalty since neither fighter nor rogue is favored class. Even then I consider the tiefling more powerful.

13. coineineagh

Media:
    Yes, they are both good options. Aasimar aree the ultimate spellcasters, but have weak stats when min-maxing, because you need 10INT for concentration and spellcraft. A human, among bonuses mentioned, has enough points remaining for decent melee stats. This gives you more flexibility in combat.
    Aasimar: Ultimate powergaming, but very specialized.
    Human: Versatile powergaming, at the cost of making spellcasting marginally weaker, you get a more useful character. After taking 10spellcraft, you can then focus your extra skillpoint on diplomacy for example.

Drow and deep gnome have spell resistance, and this can indeed be useful for a rogue. When he's being chased, spellcasters can blast the area with crowd control spells, and the rogue is likely to resist them.

14. Acrux Gems: 8/31

Veteran

Erm...that wasn't my comment. I'm all for having ultra powerful sorcerers. :D:p

15. coineineagh

Media:
    i'm so sorry, I meant to put kmonster. My mistake, it's corrected now.:o

16. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    well i should be getting the game today. I HOPE! it's been almost a week now.
    my current party make up is:

Triel F Aasimar Paladin
    Klepto M Drow Fighter / Rogue
    Jodak M ½-Orc Battleguard of Tempus
    Moonknight F Human Druid
    Nevlin M Human Bard
    Akridian M Aasimar Sorcerer

just to give everyone an idea so far. i've made a few changes since my last post of my party make up so i thought i'd update it :)
    the only character i plan to multi class is Klepto. the others i think will just be single class to the end.

is there such a thing as a battleguard of tempus in the P&P version of D&D?

17. Cal Jones

Cal Jones I'm not dead yet

I would go with a tiefling rogue - less of an ECL penalty, and they get all sorts of bonuses. I had a charistmatic rogue tiefling as my party leader on my last game. He was fun to play.

18. coineineagh

Media:
    I'd stick with Drow. There's no need for powerleveling with a rogue, and the Drow's spell resistance beats the weak elemental resistances of the tiefling hands down.

19. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    how is the game as far as undead go? is there a lot of undead or just a bit?

20. Mudde Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Not that many undead and the ones you meet are often quite weak. I wouldn't change anything in a party for them (although some weapons could be kept for use against undead to make them eaven easier to fight against... you'll see which weapons i mean when/if you find them).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.