1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New graphics card needed

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Topken, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

2. Topken

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    For 20 bucks more you can get a 9800GT, which is going to last you much longer.

4. Topken

tal you have to remember my psu aint that powerful at only 400watts. the psu came with my nemesis case. i dont have the elite version of the case

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    If I were you, I'd change the PSU for one powerful enough support the 9800, but I suppose it's a question of budget. 9600GT is OK for right now, but you could be looking at upgrading again in a year... and you'd need a more powerful PSU then just the same.

6. Topken

ide have to upgrade the wwhole computer cuase im still on the socket 939 motherboard. so i just need to replace the graphics card with something better then what i have but i dont want to sink to much money into this one when i cna put the money into a new computer.

7. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
  8. Topken

ati aint going to work to well for me as im going to be putting linux on here after i get my new computer and ati still dont work well for linux. and it will be a while before i can get the money together for a new pc as i get about 40 a month and im going to need upwards of $1000.

9. Topken

been over a month sence i last post. mom just got a new nvidia geforce gt220 was wondering if that would be better then the 9600gt or not. and i was thinkin of using that gt220 till i can get the 9600 gt and let mom use my current 7600 gs till then. what would you guys suggest?

10. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

GT220 isn't better than the 9600GT - GT240 is roughly equivalent with the 9600GT.

11. Topken

ok just checking sence i couldnt remember what was what any more

12. Topken

hmm it seems my pc can run a 9800gt and considering ive found a couple of 1gig cards on newegg for around $90-$120 i was thinking of getting one over the 9600gt. im having major graphic issues where ill be browsing and my pc will start to freeze and ill see garbled up graphics on the screen such as this pic.
    [​IMG]

and i really need a new graphics card soon as im not sure how long this one has as it looks like its already starting to die and i can just forgot about gaming at all right now with it considering my pc just freezes constantly with games and im unable to play any becuase of it

13. Topken

got a gts250 in the end to bad its running at less then half speed sence the pci-e 1.0 x16 slot is bad and im stuck using one of my pci-e 1.8 x8 sli slots instead im just glad i had more then just one pci-e slot that can accept graphic cards

14. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

It's highly unlikely it's running at less than half speed. Click! This is a test of a graphic card twice as fast as your own, as you can see the performance hit of using it at x4 pci-e 2.0 speed (the equivalent of x8 pci-e 1.0) is not too bad.

15. Topken

according to a couple of different programs my gpu clocks are less then half their rated value.core clock is at 300mhz out of 738. memory clcok is only at 100mhz out of 1100. and shaders is at 600 out of 1782. so how doe those numbers look to you?

16. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

Those things should have nothing to do with the card running in x8 pci-e slot. Was your card under heavy load when you were checking the clocks? It looks like power saving technology at work to me.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.