1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New game, Noob questions

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Maurolava, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Maurolava

Maurolava Neither to go back, nor to take impulse Veteran

[​IMG] After having NWN sitting in my computer for quite sometime, I have decided to finally go through the whole game. However before I do I have some questions.

I'm used to BG game play, so this will be a big change. By the way I should inform that I have PRC Hak pack ( http://nwnprc.netgamers.co.uk/index.html ) For those that don't know, it adds additional races, prestige classes, skills, feats and spells.

Anyway to the questions:

1. In the character creations screen, where you can put your name, age, etc. Does the deity and age relevant on the game, specially the Deity does that has any effect on the game?

2. I want to RP my PC to go from just a simple fighter to a great and powerful Paladin, they way that I understand the new rules is no matter what race you are, you can multi class. The question is it possible to do Fighter/Paladin/Vassal of Bahamut?

(Vassal of Bahamut is a prestige class add by the PRC hack)

3. How does prestige class work?

4. Does it make scene to do Fighter/Paladin/Vassal?
    Am I wasting anything by doing this? And if it's ok, how many levels should I spend on each class? Also, which feats and skill are better for me?

Any additional recommendations a welcome, just please no spoilers please, I have only played 'till the peninsula area.

Thank you in advance. :)

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    1. I've never noticed any reference to my age. I think deity matters in the Wyvern Crown of Cormyr premium module but not before.

2. That depends entirely on the prerequisites of Vassal of Bahamut and the last time I checked, paladins could make it. :)

3. A prestige class is a sort of advanced class. You need to meet the prerequisites before you can select this class from the list on levelling up. This often means Base Attack Bonus, skill ranks, the ability to cast spells of some kind or rank.

The typical prestige class has 10 levels and some have 5. Your prestige classes are not included in XP penalty calculation, which means they are exempt from multiclassing experience penalties.

4. Yes, you are wasting something. Paladins gain spells from level 4 to level 20 (especially level 19 brings some difference about). In the official campaign, you won't really reach higher than level 15-17. Additionally, I think Sacred Vow and Vow of Obedience are normal feats you need take with your precious feat slots in order to gain access to the class.

Mind you also that the game does not have anything special in for your prestige class. But this is true about any prestige class in the OC, I guess, since they were added long after, in the first expansion. At any rate, don't expect PRC hack to make it so people recognise what you are roleplaying - it will all need to be in your head. :)

The class's bonuses are quite off the moon, really. :shake: It could make the game too easy for you even without spells (it has better than paladins). It's basically like an improved paladin with bonus feats and free armour and cash grants. Not something the game was designed to deal with. You may want to play something from the vanilla game for your first run. That's what I do: I have nothing against mods, but first time vanilla it is. ;)

3. Maurolava

Maurolava Neither to go back, nor to take impulse Veteran

Thank you for the quick reply Chevalier. :thumb:

So the fighter part will just be a waste of time, I guess I could start my way from Paladin and grow from there.

Did you see what Vassal of Bahamut adds? You think is too overpower fo the game. And also I guess being one of the custom races will be over power too (Aasimar)?

Also is there another class that I could add to make my Paladin better before I go into prestige?

4. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Bear in mind that NWN forces certain ability requirements on some classes so they can cast spells. In other words, if you make a level 1 Paladin it will force you to have at least 11 Wisdom so you can cast at least level 1 spells. Pretty annoying and silly but it was Bioware's attempt to idiot-proof the game. If you actually wanted to make a Paladin with 8 wisdom (sort of a power-gamer's build) you could only do it by taking some other class (such as Fighter) at level 1 and Paladin after that.

NWN allows you to take levels in up to three classes, so a Fighter/Paladin/something-else is possible. Also keep in mind that the NWN campaign will take a character to about level 16.

5. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Fighter class is worth taking only if you are trying to obtain weapon specialization and trying to obtain a few extra feats; else it is a pointless class to take.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.