1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New EasyTutu Version Available

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Macready, May 22, 2006.

1. Macready Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Hello -

A new version of EasyTutu is now available for download. Lots of good things in this update:

* Tutufix "Organised Journal Entries" and "Journal Entry Titles" have been integrated into the base EasyTutu installation. This base level of journal functionality has been polished to remove formatting errors, promote consistency, supply missing titles, and best of all, remove entries from the unsolved quest section of the journal once the corresponding quests have been completed. Work on this enhanced journal functionality has been completed for all game areas prior to entering the city of Baldur's Gate, including the expansion areas. Beginning with talking to Scar on the bridge outside of the city, all journal entries within the city itself and pertaining to the main plot from that point on will revert to standard Tutufix "Organised Journal Entries / Journal Entry Titles" behavior. The next release of EasyTutu will include the improved game journal behavior for these remaining areas.

* The game journal now works in the Prologue.

* The Tutufix "BG2 style map" has been integrated into the base EasyTutu installation, and I've fixed some inconsistent travel times. I'll try to ferret out and fix any remaining travel inconsistencies for a future update when I get time for a playthrough.

* I've added experimental support for installing and playing EasyTutu without Tales of the Sword Coast. I have not been able to test this new feature (I have The Original Saga), but the updated installer code is included in this release. I'd very much appreciate any and all feedback on this feature (even if everything works OK), and I will also ask for patience in the face of any issues which might crop up.

* Many bugfixes.

A full accounting of what has changed is available in the EasyTutu change log, and the downloads are in their usual place on the main EasyTutu page.

Please note that I recommend the use of Tutufix v17 in conjunction with this new release, as that version has been programmed to recognize EasyTutu, and will only offer to install suitable components. If you do use an older version of Tutufix, please do not install: core bug fixes, organized journal entries, journal entry titles, the BG2-style world map.

Enjoy.

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Absolutely no. You leave those alone. Both BG games had inconsistent travel times; it's a staple of the series.

3. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    @Felinoid: You realize you are calling a bug a "staple", right?

4. Felinoid

Well, it's not a bug if it's intentional. (Though I suppose you could call having bugs a staple of the series as well, considering some of the other stuff. ;) ) Like travelling from Nashkel to the west only takes 4 hours, but coming back takes 16. That was done to cut down on the time it took to get to Dynaheir. And the incongruous time it takes to go between Ulgoth's Beard and Durlag's Tower. They're shortcuts on what should otherwise be long trips.

Just look at the distance between the area west of Nashkel and Nashkel itself. Cutting the return trip down would be very unrealistic, while increasing the time to get there would be hurtful to newer players. And the distance between UB and DT? Seeing it the first time on the Worldmap, I thought to myself, "Geez, could they have possibly put these related areas farther apart?" But the reduced travel time saves it.

For that matter, there actually are places where it takes longer to go one way than the other. So don't destroy what the programmers put there on purpose. Just because it doesn't make sense to you (or me, for the even more numerous inconsistencies in BG2), doesn't make it bad. Make it an optional component, if even that.

5. matko5 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

whoa :) tnx

i'll be playing without TotSC sooo - you can count on me for feedback

6. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    @Felinoid: Video game production is always rushed. When you see an inconsistency and ask the developers about it, they almost always admit it's an oversight......as evidenced by all the bugs (that some may argue to be intentional) Kevin Dorner was able to confirm with none other than David Gaider. The odds of the world map inconsistencies, or any other confirmed bugs, being intentional are really, really low.

[ May 22, 2006, 15:19: Message edited by: Drew ]

7. Macready Gems: 6/31

Hello -

I will keep your objection in mind, and listen for those who share your opinion. However, I find your arguments speculative and your logic deeply flawed.

Generally, if you find yourself married to the little quirks present in the original game, it is a near certainty that you would feel happier with just sticking to playing it. I think this preference is entirely understandable for anyone who played and loved BG1 when it first debuted, and wants any return visits to be as true to their original experience as possible, warts and all.

I will continue to eliminate as many bugs and inconsistencies as I am able, but I am willing to remain open to suggestion if a significant number of players object to a particular issue such as this one.

8. Felinoid

There you go equating the two again. Have you any proof? Have you been in contact with Gaider to confirm it?
    Speculative, perhaps. But deeply flawed? I find that deeply insulting, when you haven't even bothered to counter anything I've said. Simply "flawed" I might have accepted (noone's logic is perfect), but "deeply flawed"...them's fightin' words. ;) (And you no doubt knew that, at least subconsciously, when you typed them. :nono: )
    Yes, I do enjoy playing vanilla over Tutu. But your 'Easy' version is the only reason I bothered with Tutu at all, because it leaves my BG1 install untouched so that I may continue to play it in tandem with Tutu. But most people just do not bother to make anything available for non-Tutu (another complaint of mine that I won't get into depth about here), making Tutu a neccessary evil to try out these things, and indeed for many people (though not myself, just yet) just to keep the game fresh.

Also, in this case, "warts" is a subjective term. As I said to Drew, just because you think something's bad, does not make it bad. And what you see as inconsistency, I see as a 'one-way' pass through the rugged country. There are any number of places in the world where it is simpler and quicker to go in one direction than back the other way.

9. Macready Gems: 6/31

Hello -

You're right -- "deeply" is overstating. But I stand by "flawed."

This perception is entirely a construct of your own mind, given that inter-area travel consists of clicking a destination on a map, and we are given no glimpse, description, or any other form of feedback on the nature of the journey. And I doubt there are very many places in the world where a walk which takes four hours going one way takes sixteen hours going the other. It's very much a stretch to call this consistent game design; rather, it is an oversight which could benefit from some attention.

On another note: a fairly serious issue has emerged with the "no TotSC" support of the latest release. Since this forum does not allow me to post twice in a row within the same thread, I will say now that I am working with a tester on the issue -- please check the EasyTutu page every so often for updates if no-TotSC support is of any value to you.

10. Felinoid

Yes, that much is true. And I never said it was consistent (though I see how the statements you quoted seemed to imply it), just perhaps inconsistent by design. One thing that might prove a good compromise would be to move the area closer to Nashkel on the Worldmap, making the 4 hours each way a bit more realistic. Though reworking the Worldmap is a bit much just for realism, take into consideration that you're already doing it with the "BG2-style map" thing. (Another thing I've got a problem with as it's not optional, but...meh.)

11. Macready Gems: 6/31

Hello -

As evident from my sad string of posts in this thread, I have been experimenting with adding support for installing and playing EasyTutu when the parent Baldur's Gate 1 installation does not have the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion installed. I have just posted another update which represents my third attempt at this after yesterday's release and today's earlier (pulled) release failed to get the job done. This latest attempt resolves all of the issues I have made been aware of and have noticed myself. Of course, some new issues may crop up...but maybe the third time really is the charm. If you are a no-TotSC user and you try this release out, please, please, please leave feedback in the Tutu forum to let me know how things are going (even if they are going fine).

This update is only significant for no-TotSC end users. If you have Tales of the Sword Coast installed, you do not need to download and install this update if you already have yesterday's release, as the two versions are identical for TotSC users.

[ May 23, 2006, 04:06: Message edited by: Macready ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.