1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword expansion

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Death Rabbit, May 4, 2007.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I completely agree - I got screwed one game by someone building it and lost, and so now I only play custom games where I uncheck the "diplomatic victory" condition. Winning through the UN was a bit lame too.

2. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I actually built the sucker in my capital in my current game, and it's not that powerful, the rest of the world has to agree with you until you're big enough to bully the vote your way...

I drew Boudica of Korea. Not a powerhouse, but I didn't hit a wall either. The Unique Unit was nice, but not something I would rely on, so my empire grew at a more managable pace. I founded Hinduism, and captured the Buddist Holy City, and have 2 Great engineers ready to monopolize on the production corporations (Mining Inc in inner cities that need production, and Creative Constructions for border cities that need culture). The Challenge will be generating a Great Merchant for Sid's Sushi...

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

On the contrary, what this sort of exercise does is forces you to think about the game in different ways so you learn new tactics that enable you to be more successful and have more fun playing on higher levels. I find this is the only way to break out of Prince and Monarch and achieve more regular success on Emperor and Immortal levels.

Actually,, the One City Challenge in Civ is kind of the same as playing solo through Bladur's Gate (and how many threads are there around here devoted to that?) It's just another way to play the game.

[ August 30, 2007, 11:47: Message edited by: Harbourboy ]

4. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I've learned something with unrestricted leaders. When you have a warmongering leader, having a defensive or passive UU prevents the slow down offensively when the UU is phased out, and you are not tempted to delay the obsoleteing tech to keep your UU around. This means that someone like Genghis Khan could be a better fighter with a civ like Portugul than with someone like Sumeria or Rome...

That said, there are still a few tricks I want to try, like Churchill of China to see what a Cho-Ku-No can do with free promotions and faster experience.

I want to try the Sumerian Spy trick, maybe Alexander, Frederick or Lincoln with Sumeria. The Idea is getting the Ziggeraut and generating Great Spies to boost your Espionage. I am not a fan of a one shot boost of EP against one opponent, but settle the first one, build Scotland Yard with the second one, then keep settling Great Spies and you get mega points.

Lincoln would be an interesting leader to play with Arabia. The Madrassa can give priests or scientists, so any excellent food producing city would make a great candidate for a super city. It could propel a religion race and give you a monster Tech pace.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.