1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New Chatroom Testing

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  2. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Interesting, when on my iPad the chat bar at the bottom shows up and gives the number of people in chat, but I can't actually do anything. Well that's not true, the "hide chat" button works but nothing else does.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    What browser do you have there?

4. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The preloaded iPad version of Safari. It doesn't handle flash at all, and in most cases JavaScript doesn't work too well.

5. Taluntain

Media:
    Hm, probably doesn't support this then... can you upgrade the browser? Or use another one?

6. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

Tal not on a ios device you cant you are basically stuck with the crappy Apple backend there now android is a completely different beast all together I can try the chat on my android based tablet and see how well it works.

7. reepnorp

Media:
    I just tried with Opera on my iPad and it was actually worse. Same problem as Safari, but instead of staying at the bottom of the screen while scrolling, it stayed where it was when the page loaded and wouldn't budge. Is there a way you could disable it based on browser/platform? I don't imagine there are all that many people using iPads to view the forums (I know I prefer my desktop for forum browsing)

8. Taluntain

Media:
    Topken, sure, let us know...

reep, hm, wonder about that... no such setting right now, but yea, no point displaying it where it doesn't work.

9. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Did you remove it altogether now, Tal? Can't seem the chat thingie at all anymore.

10. Taluntain

Media:
    No; I mentioned in the RBP, the trial expired again... they were supposed to renew it for 3 days but it only lasted for 2. But until they fix the IE issues there's not much point in testing it further anyway, I guess. Hopefully that's going to happen soon and we can get back on track with this.

11. Taluntain

Media:
    The chat's running at http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/index.php now - but I'm still messing with the settings, so keep that in mind.

Edit: OK, everything should be set up now, I just need some guinea p-err testers to see how it works... :evil:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  12. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It seems to work fine, very reminiscent of the facebook chat.

13. Taluntain

Media:
    Yea, that's the idea... seems everyone's copying FB these days.

14. Arctic Daishi Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Media:
    Seems pretty neat, although it only seems to work if you are on the board index. In other words, you cannot use it if you are viewing a thread, a forum, a member's profile, etc.

If the chatroom becomes quite a success, do you plan on adding any other channels? If so, what other channel ideas did you have in mind?

15. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Last time there was the Friendly Arm Inn (#Sorcerers), the Minstrels Medallion (#sp_mm) and Trivia (#sp_Trivia)

Which were general chat, roleplay and quiz nights respectively - but the RP rooms and the trivia only really worked well with a bot and by the looks of it this chat server doesn't have the support for something like that, but most of her functions could easily have work around methods for RP groups as long as there is a maintainable element of trust with dice rolls ;)

I want to say there was a fourth channel but can't recall it for the life of me.

Arctic Daishi likes this.
  16. Arctic Daishi Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Media:
    If you don't mind me asking, why would the RP room (#sp_mm) only work with a bot. I'm just curious as to what role the bot played in the channel.

17. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Public dice rolls largely, plus extra functions to automatically roll D&D stats for character creation.

18. Taluntain

Media:
    That's on purpose as the script is rather resource-intensive and having people online not actually using the chatroom (which would likely be most of them just using the forums) would just waste server resources. Anyone who wants to chat can just use it via the board index page in a separate tab, for example. But I'll also add a separate page with the chat app embedded (like with the old IRC one).

I've added #sp_mm for role-playing purposes. Unfortunately IRC bots don't function here as this chat app is in jQuery, so a site like http://dicelog.com/dice will need to be used for dice rolls.

You can view all the old chatroom info here: http://www.sorcerers.net/Community/IRC/index.php (I'll need to update this now)

I'm going to nuke trivia since it won't work without a bot (and hasn't been used in years anyway).

19. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    It doesn't seem to work with any skin other than the BoM Dark one mate, unless it's my machine/browser? And does it only work on the main page, and can that be changed to work on any page?

20. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    It only seems to work on the main page but I found that if you open another tab and a new window then you can still go in a browse SP or wherever you like and have the chat open too.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.