1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New Ads on Thread Pages

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Sep 4, 2005.

1. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Okay, the ads bother you. Hey! that's fair enough. What strikes me as odd is that you're willingly to make such a big a fuss out of such a small thing! Scroll past for for the love of god! How hard could that be?

2. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

It's alright, sometimes there is some news worth reading, and sometimes there is something worth reading/posting in the forum, but rarely. You might have noticed that I am not a regular visitor here anymore, and not because I hate the site, but because it's not really for me, I am not a hardcore DND person, and I guess I have little in common with most of the regular users here in the forum. There is nothing much funny in the forum, hardly any people around with the ability to make a post that you can laugh at, maybe it's because there are a lot of teenagers here, or maybe it's because there are lots of Americans, I don't know, I just don't dig it much. If you think the website is great, good, that's cool, but for me, it doesn't matter whether the site stays, or goes, but I guess you're right, I shouldn't really be posting here unless I am really into it.

3. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    :lol: Ha! You for one made me laugh there. That's the stupidest argument I've ever heard.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Why is this site great? Because it keeps me continually amused seeing what all you odd people from around the world have to say about stuff.

And it has no big annoying flashing signatures at the bottom of every post and virtually no leet gibberish.

5. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

1337??!?!11 omfg!

6. Eldular Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Seems this topic is getting a little heated, since those two decided to make their inconsiderate thoughts clear.

The adds don't bother me, after a while on the net you get used to them, whatever keeps one of the biggest D&D communities alive! What WOULD be annoying would be pop-ups. If you can't pay yourself then there are other ways to help, such as clicking the adds, or maybe link someone you know that is going to buy a book or game here (such as 4 books my brother will buy through amazon). And if you still feel guilty, then you can contribute to the community by sending a mod you made, or guide ect... even being a regular poster should help you feel not guilty IMO ;)

7. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Wow, a thread about a couple of new adds has inspired all of this!? *sigh*

Alright, first of all, there isn't a class issue here or whatever the perception is. I've donated on occassion myself, but it amounts to mere pittances compared to what the Distinguished Members have donated. I'm a grad student after all, "What I can, when I can." ;) However, I've contributed a considerable amount of online gaming content exclusively for Sorcerer's Place. In recogition and gratitude of those contributions, I also have SPS account holder status. Not bragging here. I'm simply trying to make the point that $ is not the only way to earn Tal's gratitude. The idea that richer members are valued more than poorer members (like me atm) is :bs: .

Also, the new ads are meant to improve upon a deficiency with the previous set of ads, and to try and meet the costs of running the site. Pure pragmatism folks, that's all it is.

Now after what I've seen here, let me say that this is quite enough. I don't want to see anymore personal back and forth here in this thread.

[ September 05, 2005, 08:00: Message edited by: Beren ]

8. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

About time one of you mods stepped in... It's just so typical when these two members start suggesting "getting the hell out from *our* site." Really, is that your best shot? Even my granma is a better troll than that... Again; PM me if you *really* want to have some insult-rich text. :shake:

Guess I really should had edited that part yesterday, since I was considering of adding this "you" -word to the line. What I meant is that Taluntain's reply and long-term attitude seem to be against those who do not donate and this makes it seem like we are not liked here (just try re-reading those replies above -proves my point without question). But whatever; this seems like a touchy subject in the eyes of several members, so I'm sure the explosion comes without my help sooner or later.

Myself, I'm not feeling particularly interested over this subject anyway -not even nearly as much as the reactions a few, seemingly innocent lines of text caused. Heh, like flaming up the whole community with a bucket of cold water. :shake:

@ olimikrig

Yea, that's how it works at least with Google's AdSense. I use it on my site and 1 click is about 2 cents, but there are rules preventing abuse. Dunno how it works with those other programs Taluntain uses, though... :hmm:

[ September 05, 2005, 13:31: Message edited by: Wirhe ]

9. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Okay, that brings up a significant point:

Tal, are these ads view-compensated or click-compensated? If the former, I'm gonna load up EVERY thread in these fora for the next two weeks (of my long-awaited vacation, yay!), but if it's the latter, I'll give myself RSD of the index finger from clicking on them. :D Just wanna know which way would be the best to increase your revenues from the mild inconveniences.

Again, as much as I'd love to donate something more significant than my mindless prattle, my wife has to eat. :( So at least I'd like to try to help in some fashion.

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Dang, this thread has grown since I've checked it last. :mommy:

Wirhe, I really couldn't care less about what you think the "cold, hard truth no matter" is. No one is asking you to click the ads. Just not blocking them is more than enough. And that you can do without any effort whatsoever.

As for how "richer members" are getting treated - what a load of bull. Anyone here "rich" enough to have access to the Internet on a regular basis can also afford to make at least one small donation in their lifetime (or just buy something through the stores on SP - no extra cost for anything; you literally support the site for free). It's only a matter of wanting to or not. And since the members who donate are those who help make it possible for the majority of people to use the site without giving anything in return, I suggest you take on a more respectful attitude. (And I'm not talking content contributions here, that's a whole different matter again.)

And no, you're the last person I want or need to argue with. You've made your position crystal clear now and many times in the past. There's really nothing to discuss. I'm just giving you my take on it. And I believe I've made it clear by now.

olimikrig, that's not how it works... a large amount of clicks in a short time is detected as fraudulent anywhere, and none of them count. So clicking on the ads once every few hours would be considered very frequent, and a few times a day normal.

Sarevok•, err, you have an SPS account... all you need to do is log in on SP and you won't see the ads. That's one of the perks coming with an SPS account. If you're not sure how, just PM me and I'll explain in detail.

And certainly, I'm very lucky to have an audience willing to support the site with donations. But for how SP "generates a lot of money" - you're forgetting that I'm leasing a dedicated server for SP and our hosted sites. This means I have to shell out several hundred bucks EVERY MONTH. And the costs only keep mounting up with every server upgrade and additional required services. So even those big donations coming in every few months get used up to cover the bills in no time. The donations don't even remotely cover even a quarter of the bills every month.

Still, I don't expect everyone to donate, not by far. A miniscule percentage of people here really can't donate even a couple of bucks, and more simply don't want to, even though they've been enjoying the site and boards for years. That's fine, no problem. But when someone who's been hanging around for years pretty much throws it into my face repeatedly how he's making sure that he blocks even the ads which require no effort on his part to help the site out... well, that's just low. And as Spellbound has pointed out, I hate having to ask for donations. In an ideal world, people would support sites they enjoy without having to be asked nicely. But some prodding now and then is necessary - I've learned this over the years. But I don't enjoy it any more than you do.

Felinoid, well, your donation was an obvious exception - the largest in one piece SP has ever got. I was talking in terms of frequency of donations over the last few months. The situation's improved a bit over the last few weeks, but for four or five months prior there have been 2 (two) donations amounting to a grand total of $25. THAT'S the cold, harsh reality.

apathetic empath, it's a combination of both. It depends on the ad, really. But even just viewing most already brings in something. And if you click, that much the better. But all in moderation, as I've explained above.

11. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Actually, AE brings up a good point...

And otherwise, I agree with what Klorox said.
    Ads are no fun, but whatever keeps the boat afloat is good, no? At least there's no obligation to pay for (the bulk of) the content on SP, so poor teenagers like myself can also bum themselves around...
    :thumb: to Tal and all the other peeps who help this site, be it with their time, money, or content.
    :borg:

12. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

@ Taluntain

Thanks of the well-written reply; I simply wish you would control your temper a little bit. I don't care of this no more than you do, unless someone starts throwing words like "prick" and "****" to my face. Hope this is the last of it, our-dear-and-beloved-admin-and-his-loyal-minions? ;)

13. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Oh no Wirhe...I think you quite relish it, otherwise, you'd take your own advice and use the PM function.

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] If I didn't control my temper as well as I do, I would have banned your arrogant self ages ago, or right now. So I suggest you stop pushing your luck trying to see how long my patience with you lasts before it runs out. Because you're nearly there.

15. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Wow, I'm off the board for 12 hrs and the battles have moved from the Alley's to here!!! :help:

I had to log out of the front page and make an adjustment to my browser in order to see what the fuss was all about. I missed the orginal set-up. SP picked up a few cents because I went through and viewed the ads, clicked on a few, even saw one or two that interested me.

So what's the fuss all about? (rhetorical question please do not answer that .

As most of the regular posters know I am retired. I am on a limited income. A lot of money goes to my computer. (Greedy thing) .

Shortly after I joined I bought a very cheap game through SP, PMed Tal that I had done so. Shortly after I got an eMail saying I was eligible for an Avatar. I was in shock. I knew buying through SP would make me eligible for one but I just assumed there would be a minimum.

I'll bet that everyone here buys software and other computer related stuff. Maybe someone else pays for it. If so, just ask them to do it through SP.

Requests for donations are standard. Nothing is free.

This is the best Board I have visited. I am active in another board run by a Publisher but it isn't as good as this one.

Thank to Tal and his pink-disciples for keeping this board going. I wish I could do more to help. Here's to SP. :beer: (I'd rather toast with wine but this will have to do)

16. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Good point, Eldular. There are many ways of contributing that do not involve money.

17. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I rarely see sites without ads. I honestly fail to see the problem...
    Why the big huboo about a couple ads that are going to generate some cash?

18. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Well, Wirhe has an all-round problem with answering PM's it seems.

They are just ads. And they are good for the site. Not worth picking a fight over imho.

19. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    There's no question of treating richer members better. Even the people with Distinguished Member titles aren't rich. I'm not aware of any of the "minions" being particularly rich, either. Surely I am not. But I don't feel like a minion, anyway. Tal has done a good job controlling his mood but a breaking moment always comes sooner or later. He has to pay for the hosting somehow. If the site doesn't deserve it, why bother visiting it? He's been a good admin and taunting is the last thing he deserves.

20. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It isn't nice to insult a parent's child. Just not done in polite society. This board is Tal's baby. It is by his consent that I am allowed to visit and play with it. If I don't like the rules then I should just stay away. And yes I read the rules, the FAQ's and even the forum guidelines. Sure, I've stepped out of line and made mistakes but imo minor ones. When I have I've accepted the mod's orders.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.