1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New Ads on Thread Pages

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Wirhe:

Your arrogance absolutely astounds me. Tal goes out of his way to make sure that everyone is treated fairly around here. And, if you begrudge the ads (which you have informed us of on many occasions) and think Tal treats you poorly, why the hell do you still stay here??

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

It is pretty cool how I get a load of ads for strange New Zealand based internet sites. It somehow makes the site seem more local and homely.

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

:lol: :lol: :lol: Ya hear that, Tal? He called Sorcerer's Place ugly!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

@HB:
    Perhaps you mean 'homey'? :grin:

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Um, no. I meant homely, as in making me feel like home.

5. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Well, the ads are enourmous, and they are very annoying. I am not going to pretend like everyone else and say that they are fine and that they don't bother me, because they do, I don't like ads, nobody does. I'm sorry, but I think this website is very LUCKY to have so many generous people, there aren't many similar websites that could generate the kind of money SP gets from donations. I don't like the parts where Tal goes on about donations being low, and people having those distinguished member tags, it kind of just makes other members feel kind of guilty for not being able to donate money. Sorry, I have to be honest.

6. Spellbound

Saravok -- You don't like the parts where Tal goes on about donations being so low?? Well, neither does he. Do you think he likes to have to ask people for money? I can tell you he doesn't -- he's told me that many, many times. Or do you think that this server just miraculously runs itself?

As as far as getting titles for donating.... This is Tal's way of THANKING the people who donate heavily here. You don't think that people who donate hundreds or thousands to this site, deserve some show of gratitude? ANY amount of donation is wanted here. Some of us can afford more, some less. But the people who donate NOTHING -- well, I'm sorry, I just can't see that. Everyone has 2 bucks, or 5 bucks....or 10 or whatever. It all adds up...and helps.

I think you begrudging the people who DO donate, is pretty damn poor. Sorry, but I'M being honest, too.

7. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

Hey, now that isn't fair, not everyone has 2 bucks or 5 bucks or whatever. You should know what it is like to be stuck for money, do you remember? I do. In what you just said, you are just assuming that everyone here has more than enough money to be in a position to donate, how the **** do you know that?

8. Harbourboy

Well, what would you rather have? Some people feeling a bit guilty? Or no SP? You can't have everything.

9. Spellbound

Yes I remember it well. But I also know, in a YEAR's time -- or however long people are here for (in my case 4 years) -- they can scrounge up $5 in that time.

And before my hard times, I paid for the server cost of SP for many, many months. So...don't even go there. You should be happy that we have a site with a few people who can afford to contribute as heavily as they do...instead of begrudging the small "thank you" that Tal gives back.

10. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

No you don't ****ing know, you don't know **** about anybody here, that much is true, and I think it is wrong for you to say things like that.
    and I am not begrudging the damn thing, jesus christ...
    Anyway, I am done with this stupid chatter.

11. Felinoid

Hmm, let's try this honesty thing:

I still don't mind the ads. :p I've gotten very good at zoning things like that out, so long as it doesn't interfere with my clicking or typing (like pop-ups tend to do). And the titles are something to aspire to, not something to feel bad about not having. Tal never made me feel bad about it when I signed up, and neither did anyone else.

I was a little surprised myself to hear that Sorcerer's Place was experiencing a shortage lately considering the donation I made recently, but we can hardly begrudge a little money drive from the man who has given us so much. Sit back for a second and look at the site. Now look at how much he charges to look at it, and even participate on the boards. What do you know, you can get something for nothing!

There's also no reason at all to feel guilty if you can't donate. The only reason anyone should feel guilty is if they don't donate when they very easily can. If you can't donate at the moment, don't worry about it! It's not your fault. Anyone who's between jobs or strapped for cash shouldn't try to donate just to make themselves feel better. It's much more important to put food on the table than to support a website.

The assumption that most on the site have enough to make a small donation is easily made, though. When you're short on cash, what are the first things to go? Creature comforts like internet hookup! In other words, if you're on the site regularly, you have to have something. Whether it's 5 dollars or two cents (the most popular donation option :lol: ) everyone who has regular access has at least some cash to burn.

Here's a simple trick for anyone whose budget is tighter than piano wire:
    Shut off your internet service for a month and donate that money to the site. A short time off the Web can make you appreciate what you had all the more. :)

[ September 05, 2005, 05:00: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

12. Harbourboy

Correction: Something really great for nothing.

13. Spellbound

Very well said. :thumb:

14. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

Well, I don't see the greatness you're seeing.
    The website is alright, the forum borders on being okay. Explain to me what is so great about it if you can be bothered.

15. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

As I posted before: I don't mind the ads. If the ads weren't there, there'd be no SP. It takes me three seconds to scroll the ads out of my sight. I'm glad they aren't pop-ups as those *are* annoying.

@Sarevok and Wirhe - I know this is going to p*ss people off but remember: you can always go somewhere else for your gaming goodness.

Talk about guilt? I feel guilty for getting an avatar for asking Tal to host my stupid guide. I don't feel I've done enough to warrant the marilith posing under my name. But I have it and I'm ****ing grateful for it.

Thanks, Tal, for keeping SP up and thanks to those who can donate to help him out.

16. Spellbound

Saravok --

Ok.. I have to ask this then. If you don't see the greatness and think it's just "alright", why do you stay here? Really...I'm curious.

And kuemper -- right on.

17. Felinoid

@Sarevok:
    Then why did you donate? If you really think the site is so mediocre, why give Taluntain something for nothing?

The one thing that keeps popping to mind as I read your posts is this psychological syndrome where people feel compelled to give, even when it hurts.

EDIT: Though that clearly isn't the case for you (having just read your post below), if anyone reading this is suffering from it, do not hesitate to give your psychiatrist a call.

Though I admit it may sound funny at first, this is no laughing matter. I've seen someone's personality twisted as they struggled to resist the compulsion to give away things that they desparately wanted to keep. No hard feelings; I know you guys don't mean anything by it. :)

[ September 05, 2005, 05:24: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

18. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

Oh, well, I used to use this website for a number of downloads etc, I felt it only fair to give something back, but that was at a time when I was employed full time.

LOL at the other part :lol:

19. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I'm with Felinoid, ads don't bother me unless they actively interfere with reading and/or navigating. I guess people who live in the real world understand what it takes to produce a decent product and don't begrudge paying for a service. I only wish I could do more.

20. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Do the ads suck? Yes.

Are they worth scrolling past for a free website? You bet.

BTW, I'm just glad the huge ads are at the bottom of the page, not the top!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.