1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Neil Gaiman - American Gods

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Boy at a busstop, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Boy at a busstop Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Has anyone read this gem of a book yet? I know it's been out for quite some time, but I've only recently read it.

*Warning, minor spoilers*

I loved the slow buildup and the subtle hints at the Gods. Throughout most of the book Gaiman was telling a story without actually telling it. The placement of the Gods was neatly done and I could picture them living in the world. I feel the climaxic end shouldn't have spoiler Wednesday's plan like it did, it was pretty obvious by then.

I read the author's prefered text which has extended mini stories dealing with some of the Gods, their coming to America, or their death. These provided a nice break from the main story line.

Oh and the detail! Oh, the detail. The traveler's guide style was pretty cool. Like commenting on the food in brackets.

Anyway, I'm rambling, if you haven't read it yet and you prefer tall stories, go pick it up!

If you guys want, I could write a detailed review, but I just loaned the book out to a friend.

2. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I've been a Gaiman fan since Sandman so I read it when it came out. I agree, it is an excellent book. His only novel that I preferred to it is Neverwhere. Although that may be due in part to the fact that I read Neverwhere when I was around 14.

3. Boy at a busstop Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

American Gods is the only Gaiman book I've read so far apart from Good Omens (with Prachett) and a short story Its titel can't recall (was about norse mythology. Thor, Loki and another god were trapped in animal bodies, a bear, a raven and a fox If I remember correctly).

My local bookstore (or any store close for that matter) doesn't stock Gaiman, so I have to buy them at the British bookstore in Amsterdam. I'll be sure to pick up Sandman and Neverwhere then.

4. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I'm reading it now. I love the Wednesday hint regarding Odin.

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Awesome. His novels are Neverwhere, American Gods, Coraline, Stardust, Anansi Boys and Good Omens with Terry Pratchett. He also has a couple of anthologies out. Smoke and Mirrors and Fragile Things. He may have another one but I'm not sure.

Sandman was a comic series that had quite a reasonably long run so your best bet is to pick it up in trade paperback form as each of them were reprinted in their major story arcs. There were around 11 of them IIRC.

6. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Gaiman is extremely intelligent and I really loved American Gods. I just couldn't get into Anansi Boys and was even less enthusiastic about Good Omens, despite the fact that Pratchett was involved. No writer, no matter how skilled, can connect with every reader every time, I guess. One of these days I'm going to take a look at this Sandman comic everyone was mentioning. It's just a matter of $$$$, sadly.

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@LKD

My sentiments exactly! I didn't really like Anansi Boys, it paled in comparison to all his other work, Coraline included, imo. Same thing with Good Omens. Tell the truth, I actually felt more of Pratchett coming through in the writing. Felt to me like a not-so-funny Discworld novel, if there is such a thing.

Yeah, Sandman is awesome and you should def. pick it up. If you don't need to have it in paper form though, there are a bunch of people that seed torrents of it and you can download it and just view it on your computer.

8. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I finished American Gods a couple of weeks ago - instant favourite :)

I've been meaning to pick up some of the Sandman stuff, but I'm always brassic :p

9. nanuk Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm a total Gaiman fangirl- if he wrote instructions for the back of a shampoo bottle I'd read them- and love any kind of deity-related mythology, so I adored American Gods.

I've read it a handful of times, and am near enough due for this year's re-read.

The characterisations are great, nice and interesting and appealing, and Shadow is a great 'everyman' character for you to identify with on his crazy travels.

I liked Anansi Boys, though not as much as AG, and just loved Good Omens- even though at the time I had decided I hated Terry Pratchett simply for the reason that he wasn't Douglas Adams (I've since changed my opinion). It's another of those books I re-read frequently, and push on everyone I know in an effort to get them to love it as much as I do.

And Sandman... *drools*
    Sandman is a must for anyone who likes Gaiman. It's... just, lovely. Dave McKean... yum. And the Dreamhunters with Yo****ako Amano... oh beautiful bliss...

It's definitely worth a look, should money suddenly and miraculously not be an issue.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.