1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Negative Plane Protection

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Wil, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Wil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

As you all know, this spell has a very short duration (compared to chaotic commands). That makes it pretty useless, and you need other means to fight the undead (a mace, an amulet...)
    Don't you think it's an error? Who will ever learn this spell?

2. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Priests automatically get it.

It's no mistake. This spell really is supposed to last for 6 seconds/level.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    It's long enough for me. Most of the time, by the time the spell runs out, the battle is over. Sure, there are some places where there are copious amount of level draining creatures, but most of the time they occur in small enough groups that you can fight them with just your characters with permanent negative plane protection from an item. For the big battles, if you want to get everyone involved, the spell's duration is long enough. Level 15 lasts for 90 seconds - how many battles last longer than that?

4. Strifestrike Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

1 round per levels not that bad? What do you need it for more than turn for? Vamps aint that hard to kill...

5. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

it only takes around 6 seconds for a sunray
    :)

6. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Early in the game, I'm always complaining that it's too short. There's a lot vampires around chapter 2 when you're still weak (ie: crappy turn undead, no sunray yet). Most parties can handle them, so long as you attract all the vampires to hit your protected fighter. But in solo or without someone to "tank" it, then there's trouble.

So early on, I always make sure I have 2 negative plane spells memorized so that I can recast it if needed. It's not hard to find space for the spells either, since Animate Dead and Holy Smite are still relatively weak. Later in the game, when better protection and faster ways to kill undead are available, then I phase the negative plane spells out.

7. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Negative Plane Protection has a fixed duration of five rounds (check your spell description). It's woefully short, but the casting time is only 3 and it can help you in a pinch (e.g. you're suddenly assailed by vampires). If you take it, best put it into your first slot so you don't lose if a vampire gets a hit in.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.