1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Need suggestions for a f/m/t

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Dengo, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Dengo Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

[​IMG] I tried to solo a wild mage from BG1 to TOB but i'm bored of him because he doesn't have enough melee skill and there are lots of magic resistant creatures (i stopped playing at Underdark). I think i should play a more melee oriented class (yes, i admit i'm too stupid to play as a mage). F/m/t is better. I will use Mage part to get stoneskin/blur/mirror img. and some offensive spells.

I need some suggestions on proficiency points. It seems i will get 10 prof. points until the end of the game. Which weapons would you choose? Would you choose two weapon style or 2 handed weapons? There are so much possibilities and i can't decide.
    Also is it a good idea to put * or ** in a ranged weapon or should i skip it? Monsters will close the distance and i will be forced to melee most of the time i think.

2. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Skip the ranged weapons. If you need reach, then use spells. As you have a backstabbing bonus, then use it. It's a nasty way to begin a battle. :evil:

Two weapon fighting is the way to go. You'll have Dakkon's Zerth Blade and DoE, whichever you like. And when UAI kicks in, it's time for the Scarlet Ninja-To and maybe Axe of the Unyielding or improved Shortsword of Mask.

So that would make it *** to two weapon style, ** to scimitar/wakizashi/ninja-to, ** to axes or short swords and ** to flails, if you like damage resistance and the Flail of Ages on your f/m/t.

3. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I agree with Iku-Turso in using Dakkon's Zerth blade in the offhand and something that will give you massive amounts of damage for a backstab. Celestial Fury comes to mind, but I would put a couple of proficiency points towards longswords for BG1 as there are no worthwhile katanas in the game. I would also put A couple of points to a plunt weapon aswell for any enemies that are immune to piercing and slashing damage.

4. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

These are some good options
    *** in two weapon style
    ** in Katana = Celestial Fury
    ** in Short Sword = Kundane
    ** in Flail = Flail of Ages
    ** in Bastard Sword = Foe Bane
    ** in Long Sword = Angruvald, Answerer,

My Choices Would Be: BG2 SoA
    ** in Single Weapon Style = Back stabs
    ** in two weapon style = Melee
    ** in Katana = Celestial Fury : Stun
    ** in Short Sword = Kundane : Extra Attack

My Added Choices Would Be: BG2ToB
    ** in Long Sword = blackrazor, Angruvald
    ** in Axes = axe of the unyielding+5

5. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

My FMTs usually pack:

++ Katana
    +++ Two Weapon Fighting

at creation, and add:

++ Scimitars (extra attack with the Scarlet Ninja-to)

throughout SoA.

Then it's up to you. If you only plan on using Single Weapon Style for the backstab, then you don't need more than + in it, as the extra proficiency only adds AC, it does nothing for your damage or critical threat range. Short and Long Swords are a good option, if you prefer to stick with backstabbing weapons, otherwise you may be better off looking to Axes or Flails.

6. Dengo Gems: 8/31

Veteran

Thanks for your replies. It seems that everyone likes katanas. I shall start with them and continue with scimitars and axes. I always thought that i should carry some ranged weapon (especially bow) but i will not put a * at a ranged weapon this time. I can use Azuredge if i need ranged combat.

7. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

If you are solo put ** in axes, There are some decent axes early on in SoA.
    Try this at Start:
    ** in two weapon style = Melee
    ** in Katana = Celestial Fury : Stun
    ** in axes = : Range weapon
    * in Single Weapon Style = Back stabs

8. Dengo Gems: 8/31

Veteran

The problem with axes is they can't be used for backstab so i won't use them much. But i know a good axe in Nalia's keep to kill trolls and Azuredge to kill undead (but it is usable by only good alignment which will be a problem until UAI).

BTW i think i will start from BG1 (with easy tutu) for tomes. So i shall start with scimitars, not katanas. Now where is that drow ranger with two scimitars? :evil: Though i'm not sure if i will be able to kill him even without xp cap.

9. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

I wouldn't spend profiency points in short swords, the scimitar Belm is superior to Kundane.

I don't think FMTs can take *** in 2 weapon style, but I wouldn't spend more than ** for it anyway, the third point only gives +2 thac0 for your off-hand weapon which gets never more than 1 attack/round.

Dak'kon's Zerth Blade isn't worth it, it just gives a few extra low level spells, which is really lousy compared to the extra main-hand attack you get with Belm.

Ranged weapons are not neccessary, but they are a nice and effective option to support your summons fighting your enemies.

If you like to play straight, you can choose the 2-handed route. You'll probably have more fun this way.

You can buy the quarterstaff+4 from Ribald. It can hit monsters immune to +3 or piercing and slashing weapons and you can even backstab with it.
    This way you don't have to switch melee weapons for nearly the whole game.
    Only one rare (and weak) kind of ToB monsters which can only be hurt by non-magical weapons is immune to it.
    You can also easily switch from 2-handed to bow or other missile weapons via your quick weapon slot.
    There are even better quarterstaffs in the game, you can additionally add ** in greatswords if you want to use the holy avenger with UAI.

So you can start with:

++ in quarterstaffs
    ++ in shortbows (to use the magical arrows you'll find effectively)
    ++ in 2-handed weapon style (nice little bonusses, but not even neccessary if you want add another weapon prof instead)

Later you can add two other options depending on your preferences like:

++ in 2-handed swords (holy avenger)
    ++ in daggers (for the throwing dagger +3 firetooth (1 extra attack/round, 5-11 physical + extra fire damage + strength bonus) you can buy in the drow city)
    ++ in axes (for throwing axes or the axe of the unyielding)
    ++ in flails (flail of ages)
    ++ in longswords
    ++ in katanas (celestial fury)
    ++ in spears
    ++ in ...

Dualwielding is more powerful, but also more complicated.
    You cannot switch to a missile weapon while dualwielding without having to enter the inventory screen, so I wouldn't even bother using them.
    It's not important being proficient in the off-hand weapon, only the bonusses you get for your main hand really count.

Best off-hand weapons are weapons which give extra attacks to the main hand like kundane, belm or the scarlet ninja-to.
    With improved haste you get so many attacks that way that whirlwind HLAs are useless.

The Celestial Fury katana is the best main hand weapon in SoA, you can get it early and even backstab with it.

I'd take profiency points in that order:

++ katanas
    ++ 2 weapon style
    ++ longsword
    ++ flails
    ++ scimitar or another weapon

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.