1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Need input to help me make a sequel

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Artist of the Artificial, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Artist of the Artificial Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I want to make a sequiel for PS:T but I need to know what players feel they missed out of the original game and what questions they want answered.

I was thinking of begger battles, seeing more planes and giving TNO some well deserved rest.

And mainly to find out what he did that was so evil that eternal life could not prevent? :confused:

[ June 26, 2004, 19:47: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. cabron Gems: 1/31

Hey,
    Planescape Torment is my all time favorite RPG (and I´ve finished over a hundred) and I would really love to see a sequel. You must be a very brave person to undertake such an endevor :)
    I always felt that the sequel could have the remaning characters like Morte & Fallen from Grace, who would start searching the multiuniverse for clues of the past of the nameless one, this clues would somehow lead to his redemption. At the same time (sort of like in the Final Fantasy games) the story could shift to the struggles of the Nameless one in hell, maybe tying up with that cannon that the Founders had comisioned to "end the blood war". Maybe his part on his redemption would be tied to a race against time to stop that ultimate weapon from beign used (with cameos with that creepy forge golem & the now reedemed angel to spice things up)

3. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

***Spoiler***

The Cannon that is commissioned is the one which you 'tamper' with (read: destroy) if you take the path of an anarchist.

***End Spoiler***

A sequel/prequel would be an interesting idea but I would rather see a new and completely seperate planescape game. The setting has always seemed so open-ended and perfect for exploitation yet AFAIK Torment is the only (C)RPG to have been set there.

4. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] Instead of a real sequel. I like the idea of a game about one of the caracters that continous with his/her live after she/he comes back from the F.O.R.

Offcourse you could place links to the original Torment, by using caracters, places, and Items from the game.

5. Sigurd the Volsung Gems: 1/31

I agree with Lady Bonzo. If a sequel is ever made (or any game set in Planescape), then the slate should be wiped clean. There is no need to refer to the previous game. The world of planescape is so diverse, colourful and rich that the possibility of great plots is endless.

6. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

If you want to see what some of us have thought about a sequel, there's a sort of fanfic lying at the bottom of creativity surge that might or might not be a source of inspiration....

7. Ismaul Gems: 1/31

I think it's better to leave the Nameless One alone. The story ends well as it is. Also, if you would be making a sequel, you'd have to think about the character's power. In the end of the game, the Nameless One was pretty powerful. What would you do with that? Find a way to make him lose his abilities or make him enter a world where everything is more powerful? The hero's power is always a problem for devs when making a sequel. You could always make him lose his memory again, but wouldn't that be against the point of having the Nameless One as the hero again?

The best thing is to exploit the strenghts of the setting to create a new tale. The setting is rich, enormous and dynamic, but its biggest strenght is the wondrous feel it gives to its explorers. It is a world of possibilities as everything is shaped by thought and belief, you are never certain of what is true and what is not, what exists and what does not. It is a setting that, unlike other game settings, is more powerful than the character. In lots of game the hero ends up the most powerful thing in the world, killing the biggest villains. In Planescape that is not the case, you can never be so powerful, and even if you are, you are still but a man in an ocean. The planes can eat you.

This is an important part of the feel of the setting. Even if the hero gets powerful, which he will, he should always feel that his power is nothing compared to the power of others. Think about the Lady of Pain : the hero might be as powerful as he wants, but with little trouble the Lady can duplicate parts of Sigil, create a maze and throw him in it. Ravel is powerful. More than the Nameless One. She could even strip the hero from his mortality, which is no little feat. Still, in front of the Lady of Pain, she is near to nothing. There is much more other powerful creatures, there is place for every one. Again, always make the character feel the world is enormous around him, powerful, changing and mysterious.

As powerful as you can get, the world is so much that you can't have much control over anything. There is a comic by TSR/WoTC that illustrates that very well : http://www.wizards.com/dnd/DnD_PS_Comic.asp

The world is overwhelming.

There's a lot more to say, but nothing comes to me right now.

Ismaul

8. Artist of the Artificial Gems: 1/31

Thanks for the thoughts plz keep them coming

[ July 03, 2004, 23:12: Message edited by: Artist of the Artificial ]

9. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

@Ismaul: Great comic.

How are you gonna make a sequel?
    A mod or a Neverwinter Nights module?

Anyways, I don't really think you should be able to save TNO from the Blood War. It would somehow lessen his sacrifice, in my opinion.

[ July 05, 2004, 01:08: Message edited by: Jesper898 ]

10. Petit_Morte Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Great idea making another planescape game....Although i'm against a sequel for the obvious reasons....I want to see another twisted, dark game set in planescape...The game could refer to chars from Torment but should not directly reflect on them...Like stories and myths heard around planescape. As well the classes and items should be more vast but the gameplay should not change to that of fallout or baldur's gate...Its a more unique game play that is faster paced than both.

11. cabron Gems: 1/31

Ok, my mistake...I thought the question was regarding ideas for a sequel to Torment; that would in fact imply that in somehow continues or builds upon the character & story of the previous game, otherwise it would be brand new story, set in the same setting, but that wouldn´t be a sequel. It would be a different story set in the same universe, in the same way a dragonlance or ravenloft module have almost no direct connections, other than sharing a universe & a possible timeline.

12. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I think a prequel with Morte being the main character would be interesting. Since he can't remember what his life was like apart from the fact that he lied alot (IIRC) when he was alive it leaves the game open with no story clashes.

And much like the Planescape: Torment ending it's a rather gloomy one: Morte being transformed into a talking skull and becoming part of the pillar of skulls.

13. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

there is already a NWN mod that deals with NMO after PS:T, the first part is called "In the footsteps of Dante" and the second part is called "The nature of a man". they are very good, because there is almost no need to fight, so you can roleplay through most the module, just like in PS:T.
    I just thought you should know, so maybe you could get some ideas from this module.

14. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

yes, those modules are great.

15. Artist of the Artificial Gems: 1/31

I guess one should not try to force an ending to this great tale. Maybe another tale that could be played out in planescape might be a better option.

16. Ismaul Gems: 1/31

So, we got you convinced :lol:

Good luck with whatever you try :thumb:
    You can be sure that if you ever release something, we'll try it

17. Des'tari Gems: 1/31

Hey I found this link http://www.planescape-vengeance.net/index.php It looks like somebody else is all ready working on the PS:T sequel. They are calling it Planescape: Vengance going with the whole emotional thing. They even have a symbol for Vengance just like there is a symbol for Torment. Also there is the City of Door Intiative http://www.city-of-doors.com/index.php which recreates Sigil for NWN. well good luck.

18. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31

Planescape vengenace has been in the works for a long time, though there is no outward progress shown (and I am rather doubtful of this project being completed in the near future, if at all).

19. Artist of the Artificial Gems: 1/31

Well most of you have some valid points for not making a sequel. But I always thought TNO could redeem himself. Anyway would their be anyone interested in helping me? And vengence has been in development for i think more than 2years now and the was also The Bronze Sphere that never got finnished so if i do this i would kinda need some help 8) and the main thing would be some backrounds for PS from different planes and any other reference to work from for chars and design of certain areas.

20. vesselle Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

it seems that the City of Doors Initiative is no longer around. i haven't been able to access their website in quite awhile. and i gotta agree about the Vengeance mod. it's seems stalemated.

V***V

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.