1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Need help proof-reading a Dragon Age game guide

Discussion in 'Dragon Age: Origins' started by Beren, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Hi everyone,

I am currently working on revising my Dragon Age Nightmare Guide with YT videos embedded. I am creating and sticky-ing this thread in the hopes that I can get at least one or two volunteers who can proof-read and/or provide feedback.

The way it would work is I put up a few pages from the guide, post links in a thread that we'll create for this purpose, then you would proof read and provide corrections in the same thread. I then implement the corrections and put up a few more, and so on.

It's a process for me to put up the corrections, so there will often be time lags in between when the next round of proof-reading comes up.

It's not that much work, but it is important for me to get a second pair of eyes to look at things. And you'd also get a sneak preview as well. ;) Furthermore, Tal has indicated that whoever helps out, and does the job well, may be awarded with a special Sorcerer's Place Supporter account. For more info on SPS accounts, check this link:

http://www.sorcerers.net/Supporters/index.php

If you're willing to volunteer, please post in this thread.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  2. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I can understand wanting a second eye to look at things. If you look at it too much, you only see what your mind is expecting to see. I wouldn't mind help proof-reading your guide, I kind of like that stuff - appeals to my sense of neatness to get everything in order.

How much pages would we be talking about (in total) and what kind of time span are you thinking of in terms of finalising this walkthrough? Just to get an idea of the time I would be needing to spend per week.

And would it be in a printable format? It's always easier for my to just print it and chalk some comments in the margins then to keep open a separate document and type in it as I work along.

It's been a long time since I played DA:O, though, so not sure how much use I would be in that department.

3. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There would be about 105 pages left that need proof-reading, and proof reading would be enough for our purposes. Although if you have something you'd like to ask about, or are wondering about, by all means ask.

There isn't a set timeline, but the pages have been ready for a while now and I'd like to at least start making progress.

What I have in mind is that I could put up a section (some sections have more pages than others), and you could do a section at a time and provide me with comments. You're certainly welcome to work at your own pace, as long as we can make steady progress.

If you prefer to work with hard copy, I don't see why they won't be printable. Do you have a way to scan your comments and then send them to me?

So, are you game for it?

4. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Comments I can work out in some digital form later, but while reading I like to write it on the side of the pages. Alternatively adding comments in some word processor like Word would work too (though I only have LibreOffice).

Sure, I'm game.

5. Beren

Media:
    Sweet! Thanks a lot, it is appreciated.

Once you've written out your hand comments, all you'd need to do is post them in a separate thread that will be set up.

Tal, can you set up Henkie up?

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Want me to just move that thread to the SPS forum? Or you can make a new one there...

Edit: oh, wait, it already is in the SPS forum...

7. Beren

Media:
  8. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Happy to volunteer here. I played DA:O and Awakenings extensively though I skipped most of the DLCs except Shale, Return to Ostagar and Warden's Keep. I travel but am online for at least a few hours every two days.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  9. Beren

Media:
    Great! Tal has just informed me that he's granted you access to the SPS forum, with the possibility of a full SPS membership account if you do a good job. I'll split the work between you and Henkie so that it's easier on both of you.

In the meantime, follow the link that I posted just above.

10. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm playing DAO right now (after having a barney with EA). Anyway, I don't mind having a mish at it for ya. Not bothered about SPS

11. Beren

Media:
    Sure, at some point Tal will allow you access to the SPS thread that's been set up for it. Once there, keep a look out where I will assign you some of the pages to proof read.

12. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    OK hun

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.