1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Need AV receiver

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Topken, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

not possible with my current graphics card. as for the dvd ill be using it on my tv vi the vga cable. ive got no problems with my current video setup. if you where talking about taking the output from the tv thats impossible as the tv dont have a video output. if you didnt notice.

2. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    No I didn't notice, and it sure doesn't. Well, then why do you need the TV to go to the AVR? For broadcast audio? That is covered by the coax out. The AVR should have a S/Pdif in, so you are covered there. It's the only output you have.

3. Topken

prcisely what i need. i want the audio to go from the tv out to the av receiver then i was hoping to hook the receiver up to my pc so i could use the speaker system i have already. as i said i use my pc as a multimedia pc mostly but i do use it for gaming in which case i use headphoens but i use the speakers for my tv channels and for my music and movies and tv shows that i buy on dvd. and i was hoping to use my 360 with my pc as well for audio only so i can use it vi surround sound.

4. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    So you will need two S/Pdif inputs on the AVR - one for the TV and one for the signal from the pc to the receiver?

5. Topken

seems i do need a couple of spdif inputs ont he avr one and a new speaker system thats compatible with with the avr as it seems my logitech x-530s arent so it seems thats going to cost me a lot more money then i wanted to spend. it looks like imay be looking upwards of $500 for this whole deal $300 for the avr and another 200 for speakers and cables im going to need.

found the soundblaster digital I/O module on the soundblaster site and it doesnt support my soundcard go figure. it can be found here http://www.soundblaster.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=16&product=1780

Edit 2. it seems i could upgrade to a better card in my new pc that has a spdif input but i dont know if i can get a coaxial to optical caqble that would work for the tv. i was hoping to be able to get this working with my current setup without getting anything new but it doesnt look like it. unless you guys know of a cheap solution i could use for for this setup that would add a few spdif inputs to my pc. like an addin card that would do that trick considering that i/o module wotn work with my current soundcard.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.