1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Near Death Experiences

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Ben Snow, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Ben Snow Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Have you nearly died.

A few years I got a massive shale crap on my leg while playing baseball. I cleaned it out with soap and water, wrapped it and continued playing. A few hours later I showered, washed it and peroxided it and thought I was good to go.

A few days later it was still seeping and oozing so my wife (at the time she was in nurseing school) dragged me to the hospital. The doctor told me to treat it like a normal scrape. Keep it clean and put polysporin in on it.

About a week later it was still seeping and I was getting sick of waking up with my leg stuck to the bed. But I waited, then one day when my wife went to work for her afternoon shift as a Nurseing Aid I went into septic shock. I am unclear about the next 8 hours or so as I hallucinated my way through the day. I recall my wifes best friend being in the apartment with her, but both of them have told me that she wasn't and other small things that I have slowly learned from my wife.

That night she got home and took me to the hospital where I was brought in right away and the crew went to work. They swabbed the green stuff, and cleaned my leg with a bristle pad (ouch), filled me with saline to rehydrate me, pumped me full of antibiotics and morphine. The left an IV catheter in my hand which allowed them be able to pump antibiotics into me every 8 hrs. For 5 days I went back and forth from out apartment to the hospital for treatment. I was so relieved when they pulled the catheter.

From the swab we learned that the infections I had included both Staph and Strep as well as about 5 other kinds of bacteria. The doctor wasn't sure if the wound would heal and we were worried I would need skin grafts.

The really dumb thing is about three weeks after the scab had healed, I was left with a large purple scar on my leg, that I re-opened playing baseball again. This time there was no shale, I was wearing thick sweat instead of nylon track pants and it opened when I slid in the outfield. I cleaned it out properly afterwords and called my baseball days quits.

Now I barely have a scar.

2. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

The closest I ever came was when I flipped my pickup truck on the highway in 1997. I was doing about 65 and flipped 5 times. Time slowed down and I was able to reflect on my situation. It was really weird. Anyway, I was wearing my belt and kept my head back, so I survived. Got banged up pretty bad, but I count my blessings.

3. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    That time slowing down thing is a bizarre but very real phenomenon ... I wouldn't be surprised if you also reflected on bigger things (life, people righted and wronged, etc.).

What counts as near-death, anyway? Are we talking 'go to the light' type stuff or just close calls? I'd imagine most everybody's got a few wrong place at the right time stories.

4. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    My stories are lame.

There was one time when I was carrying stuff with my dad in the garage, and as we were deciding how best to move something, the table behind me - large, solid, standing on its side - suddenly fell down with a giant crash. Quite sure it would have mauled me had I taken a step backwards.

There was also this one time I was in Florence, and I had eaten nothing but small, supermarkety breakfast-type cakes for the whole day because I was out of money, and I was wandering around the streets feeling very sorry for myself, although that kind of doesn't count as a near-death experience.

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I was out at sea for a few weeks and came home. My wife (at the time) had been shopping and wanted to try on stuff for me. She came out in this hideous peach knit pant suit and asked me how it looked. I told her, "That color looks terrible on you and the pants make your hips look enormous."

My life flashed before my eyes.

The closest other than that was hanging under a helicopter in a horse collar rescue sling at 1,000' and 90 knots.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  6. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Bruno - I'm fairly confident that Ben Snow was not seeking stories about attempted suicide. :p

7. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I once ate a particularly undercooked strip of chicken. It was dicey for a while the next day.

8. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

What is a shale crap?

Gaear likes this.
  9. Ben Snow Gems: 2/31

A spelling error. It was meant to be a shale scrape.

10. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Bear in mind that I hate sports. What is a shale scrape? I know what shake is, surely there wasn't any in the baseball field. Help the ignorant!

11. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Hit by a bus when I was 14. My fault entirely, although he was going way too fast.

Stalling right in front of a fast on-coming truck is the time I can really remember the time slowly right down. The whole van falling absolutely silent, punctuated by me bursting out laughing.

12. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    It wasn't a near death experience, but a couple of months ago I had an attack of kidney stones and I wanted to die.

13. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    When I was a kid, I dove into a pool and my bathing suit went down to my knees. I thought I was going to die of emabarrassment.

14. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    @Rotku, how did you survive the bus encounter? Usually those result in fatalities.

15. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG]
    I assumed the sedimentary rock that is sometimes used as a lining on lawns and grass to stop encroachment and give a definitive border a little more evenly than bark chips.

He could perhaps be referring to a large ex-dwarf transmuted into a stone being with a bone to pick with fleshy people.

As for my near death experience. I died but I missed it. I was asleep at the time. Was confused when I woke up surrounded by surprised looking people.

16. Ben Snow Gems: 2/31

Shale is that read dirt that is around the bases. I scraped my leg up when I was attempting to slide into one of the bases.

17. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I have to say, in all the years I both played and have followed baseball, I never knew the dirt around the bases was called shale. In fact, I have never even heard of shale being referred to in any baseball sense.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.