1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

name the titles and authors, please

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by teekc, May 31, 2006.

1. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

There are 4 stories which i would like to find out their title and authors. i read them when i was younger and in chinese translation too. i think the short stories and authors are fairly well known too, so i think it is not hard to identify them, given that they are western classic and all high schoolers might already read them all.

i am 10 years pass my high school since i last read them. The stories are quite foggy now and i can only remember a few "punchlines".

1 - The background is France or somewhere border France. The story is about a teacher teaching the last French class. At the end of the class, the teacher wrote "long live France" on blackboard.

2 - The background is U.S., Boston i think. Christmas is coming and this guy who had no place to live wanted to commit a crime so that he could spend the winter in jail. The irony is that he did all things bad and was not caught. And then he was listening to Christmas Carol and decided not to do so, he was caught of trespassing.

3 - Background unsure. This is one is more foggy then the others. i remember there was this girl or boy travelling with the family on a ferry. And there was this person selling oyster or clam on the ferry. i think the story involves this little kid trying to buy the the oyster and this oyster vendor is somehow related to the family of this little kid.

4 - Background unsure. Horse! this guy has this horse and he always brag and boost about his horse. Might be a black horse. Might be the work of a French author (Might be!). Might be the same author with 1 or 3 (Might be!).

million thanks.

2. teekc Gems: 23/31

anyone anyone buller buller?

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

No idea here, buller.

4. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Sorry teek they don't remind me of anything. :(

5. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Your number 2 was driving me crazy. Is it this.

Edit- Now I'm determined. Is this one the number 1? Scroll down to the story called "The last class"

6. teekc Gems: 23/31

yes, ohenry for numba 2. i thought it was Boston because i thought it mentioned Hudson river, but then i guess no.

yes, the last class by Daudet. The story was used during WW2 because Japanese forced us to learn Japanese only too.

7. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Just so you know the Hudson is NY, the Charles is Boston. I don't think I'll be able to help with the other two as they are too vague. I'll forward the thread around though.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.