1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Name That T.V. Show

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Splunge, Aug 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yay. OK, another cult British show for you - wonder how much of this one you saw in North America. This from its incomprehensible opening sequence:

"All irregularities will be handled by the forces controlling each dimension. Heavy transuranic elements may not be used where there is life. Medium atomic weights are available...."

3. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Hey I was looking up information on that show just last week - someone was posting a bunch of episodes on-line. That is from Sapphire and Steel isn't it?

Edit: Oh and by the way, is it worth downloading?

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Total guess - Dr. Who?

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Excellent guess - that was the one I was GOING to post, but then I changed my mind when I thought of this one. Same genre, similar idea - but didn't run for as long. This one was even weirder than Dr Who. One of the stars was also in The Man from UNCLE...........

6. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

errr planet of the apes?

7. Harbourboy

No, Planet of the Apes is a strange guess. Dr Who was much closer. Next clue: It also starred one of the stars of Absolutely Fabulous.

It was a very very odd show about a mysterious pair of supernatural agents (a man and a woman) who went about solving mysteries to do with rifts in the space-time continuum. For instance, here is the plot summary of the first series:

"In a large, remote, coastal house, a mother and father read rhymes to their daughter. Downstairs, fourteen-year-old Rob is doing his homework. One by one the clocks stop and his parents vanish. Rob phones the local policeman and, seconds later, (Agent Name 1) and (Agent Name 2) arrive. They are menaced by Roundhead soldiers and images of plague victims. (Agent Name 1) becomes trapped in a painting and (Agent Name 2) reduces his body temperature to absolute zero to release her. Eventually, together with another elemental called Lead, they lure the enemy into the cellar. Here the force is crushed out of the foundations of the house by Lead. The agents disappear and the parents return as though they had never been gone. "

Truly a very odd series.

[ September 23, 2004, 06:43: Message edited by: Harbourboy ]

8. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

Errr... well, it sounds like JSBB already guessed didn't he?

9. Splunge

Media:
    Well, I Googled it, and it appears JSBB is correct; I think Harbourboy just missed JSBB's guess because I posted right after him.

10. Harbourboy

Whoops - sorry about that. Yes, JSBB got it straight away.....all those clues for nothing.......

11. JSBB Gems: 31/31

O.K. then, this producers of this cartoon series had major trouble with the network executives over how dark the animation looked. They achieved this level of darkness by painting the backgrounds on black paper instead of the usual white - which was unheard of at the time.

12. Harbourboy

Batman 2000?

13. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I can't say that I had ever heard of Batman 2000 but a google search seems to indicate that it is the show that was called Batman Beyond here.

No but you are very close. This show was made by the same people and paved the way for them making Batman Beyond.

14. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31

Veteran

Well, errm, Batman the Animated Series? Which later got turned into the adventures of Batman and Robin?

(EDIT: BTW Batman Beyond is called Batman of the Future in some of the episodes I saw)

15. JSBB Gems: 31/31

It is indeed Batman the Animated Series which later bacame The Adventures of Batman and Robin and then was repackaged as part of The New Batman/Superman Adventures.

This spun-off Batman Beyond which was released in the U.K. as Batman of the Future so it doesn't come as any surprise to me that it would turn up under that title througout Europe. It was also known as Batman Tomorrow but as far as I know it never actually aired under that title.

16. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31

Veteran

Ok, it feels I didn't really deserve that one, so here's a softie:

'In the criminal justice system, the people are represented by two separate yet equally important groups: the police, who investigate crime; and the district attorneys, who prosecute the offenders. These are their stories.'

17. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Law & Order. The original.

Another softe, simply because I don't have time to come up with a stumper:

Fractured Fairy Tales and the Wayback Machine.

18. JSBB Gems: 31/31

The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle, a.k.a. The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show.

I don't know if this show has been aired recently but this show featured a "hero of song and story", "winner of ancient glory", with "softness in his eyes, iron in his thighs, virtue in his heart, fire in every part".

For some reason I actually liked the show when I was young, very young. Somehow I have the feeling it would induce vomiting if I saw it now.

[ September 24, 2004, 16:47: Message edited by: JSBB ]

19. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31

Veteran

Some horrible version of Hercules?

20. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Yeah it is, The Mighty Hercules to be specific.

Picture Hercules as Superman wearing a toga and a weightlifting belt with a giant H on it. Wielding a power ring (with another H on it if I recall correctly) to boost his might.

Now add in a couple of comedy relief buddies. The first was an ultra-wimpy Centaur named Newton with a horrible squeeky voice who seemed to constantly go around calling "Herc! Herc!" in order to get Hercules to come save him from whatever trouble he had blundered into. The second was a Satyr named Toot who didn't talk but instead went around playing a set of pan-pipes to communicate with people. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.