1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Myst?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Sapiryl, Oct 13, 2000.

1. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I'd like this not to turn into a "Myst sucks so much that it should be banned from existence" thread, but if that's what you'd like to say, say it.

Myst III is coming out and it looks spectacular.

Personally(sp?) I love the Myst games, and I've beaten both Myst and Riven (on my own). I've even read some of the Myst books.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Well, our local gaming mags ripped them to shreds, saying that they suck so much. (In contrast to the Americans, who all obviously love them).
    I didn't play any of them so I can't really comment, but from what I've read about them I'd probably agree.

3. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Myst is a different kind of game from what I prefer. No real action, at least not in the first one. I messed around with is a little bit but it's not my cup of tea. The adventure games never really did anything for me. It might be a great game but I'll never buy it. Give me a RPG, RTS, Empire building, or TBS any day.

4. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Myst sucks so much I feel like sticking it in my washing machine putting a sock over it and trick the nymphs into stealing it! IT sucks!

5. hooligan_inc Guest

Myst sucks so much that it should be banned from existence.

6. I remember one magazine (forget which) saying that Myst set Computer Gaming back by 10 years. Why? Because it was so popular, developers would of course try to imitate it, creating even more games with pretty pictures and not much else...

Not sure if it's a coincidence, but Myst came at the beginning of the "Dark Age" of RPG's (early-mid 90's), where the Elder Scrolls, Might & Magic, and the 2 Krondor Games were pretty much all there was.

I do like some point and click type games, Discworld and Death Gate being 2 examples (er, actually those are the only 2), but I found Myst to be incredibly boring and pointless. The only people I know that like it do not play many computer games at all, and can't really handle anything more complicated...

7. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] Boy, I feel shafted.

Anyway, I happen to be an American my dear Taluntain, so maybe it's a cultural thing.

But then again, I don't have cable (this could explain things).

Damn you Hooligan! :)

8. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

And I happen not to be. It might really be a cultural thing.

9. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] Blast!

Well, it seems that I've been had. Yeah, I get loose gun laws, gas guzzling cars, and violent TV programs, but I have to become a misfit in the gaming world.

You know, they're STILL selling Myst at Wal-Mart for $30? What a ripoff.

10. Gunthar Gems: 7/31

Your problem is right there, crap like Walmart. Unfortunately were starting to get them in Canada as well.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.