1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

My LoTR Party - need help please

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Sylvan, Oct 18, 2002.

1. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
  2. Sylvan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

What are everyones thoughts on an evil LoTR party instead of the Fellowship? :D

I think it'd be interesting using Sauron, Wormtongue, Gollum and a couple more I can't quite think of :confused:

Sauron - Sorcerer/Wizard type
    Saruman - Sorcerer

I am a bit lost for everyone else to fill in the party. I haven't read the books for a while - I may have to.

3. Lacessit Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Sauron could be tiefling or drow. Chao evil of course. But still, I think it's not really in the vein of the books to start of Sauron at level 1. You might have to drop Sauron, he doesn't even have a form.

Soooo, who are we left with then? Well Saruman of course. Chao evil Aasimar sorc? That's probably closest. Or maybe a few lvls of paladin (cf Gandalf)
    -Wormtongue: rogue, bard? seeing as he's so smooth with words and like to hide in the shadows ;)
    -Gollum... But what class in all the world IS he anyway? Of course he's sneaky. likes to kill from behind... It suggests rogue, but I'm not really convinced.
    -For your tanks you could take some halforc barbarians as Uruk-hais. That easy enough I would say. Power 'em up, low on cha, int and wis. Just chop chop chop.
    This leaves you without a cleric. You might take the king of the Nazgul as a Talos Stormlord or something. Anyway, I'm just suggetsing.

4. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Creating Lord of the Rings parties can be quite easy if you're willing to go beyond the characters included in the original 9 who set out from Rivendell.

Radagast the Brown Wizard, I suspect was actually THE source material for the Druid as conceived by the developers of Dungeons & Dragons. He'll make a natural choice.

Personally, I think Faramir would be a better choice as a Paladin than Boromir (though I liked his character too). Faramir after all was wise enough to comprehend the peril involved with using Sauron's ring. His more martial-spirited brother, alas, was not.

Though its a bit of a stretch from the book itself, Frodo as a Rogue/Wizard is an idea I can respect. Towards the climax, he is more and more showing that strange, innate, and elusive sort of power whose potential we never really get to discover.

A suggestion of mine would be,

Faramir - Paladin
    Gimli - Battleguard of Tempus (yes, this is also a stretch, but you have to practical as well)
    Aragorn - Ranger
    Radagast - Druid
    Frodo - Rogue/Wizard
    Gandalf - Sorcerer

Hope it helps,

Dave Milward (aka Beren, still looking for the Luthien in my life)

[ October 23, 2002, 08:50: Message edited by: Beren ]

5. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] Hey Laccessit, just as an addition to your idea to the evil LoTR party...

-Saruman. It states in the ADnD 2nd Ed. that all demons and such are lawful evil, and he did used to be a white wizard, so lets make him Lawful evil Tiefling sorcerer/wizard. That's probably closest.

-Wormtongue: Wormtongue was a sleazy scumcrawler and a traitor to boot, so lets make him chaotic evil. Rogue of course, but make his con. sleazy so he is a pansy. Give him a ditchload of dex. though. An idea would be to make him a monk, as he was pretty clever, so the wisdom bonus would come in handy, and they do get kick arse armour class.

-Gollum... Gollum is "something resembling a hobbit" so we shall make him a halfling. He was stalking for a while, but it says in the books that he was sneaking around because he had the malformed body and such, and of course, the ring, so i would make him a ghostfoot halfling barb/rogue.

-Ourik-Kai?? (spelling?). Well, the lead general was pretty clever, so a decent wizdom (as in not 3) and a whole load of Str. and Con. WE have a barazoid, so lets make them fighters, for Wep Spec. Orc, of course. Neutral Evil, as they were only serving saurmon.

-Witch King. Well, he was a corrupted ruler, made into a lich by one of the nine rings for mortal man. You will want some fighting power, and also spell power. I havent checked out the paladin classes, but if there is, try Anti-Paladin, or the closest thing.

-Sauron. Blasphemy, i know, but enable the console and start him off at level 3. Make him Chaotic evil, although i said before that all demons are Lawful Evil, he "poured his malic greed ect" so he had to have it to start off with.
    He had extreme magic power, but also major damagin mele power, so we will want a Mage/Fighter. Prof. in mace. 2 in mage, 1 in fighter. What race is he??? We'll go tiefling, as you will not need the charisma. Give the diplomacy skills ect. to wormtongue or Gollum. Drow might work. Dunno, ill try it next time.

Helpfull??????

6. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

This might seem a bit odd... But what about Beorn?? (from The Hobbit ) He would be a good druid character - the whole bear/shapeshifting thing - maybe throw in a few levels of barbarian for attack bonuses and the like. Not too bad of an idea... I may try it tonight!

7. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Ranger/Druid combo would also be pretty good for Beorn, as would Fighter/Druid. The way he cares for his animals and shapeshifting would definitely be druidic, and the way he reveres nature and moves easily through the wood seems rangeresque.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.