1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

My hard disk is made of paper

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Colthrun, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

[​IMG] I wonder how the reader device works...

http://www.techworld.com/storage/news/index.cfm?newsID=7424

Now, the article goes on by discrediting the initial data size estimation, and even the credibility of the report, but the idea is feasible.

My question would be: do you think that paper (if properly protected) is a more secure way to store tons of info than hard disks or magnetic tapes? At least it is not subjected to magnetic influence, and it would definitely be cheaper.

2. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

"What's that smell? Is something burning...?"

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What?! The ink just faded away?! ;)

4. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Ooops, did I just dropped that portable HD? :p

Properly preserved ink (in total darkness and a sterile environment, just like a hard disk) can be kept for hundreds of years. Much longer, if we are talking about toner.

5. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Paperless office my [censored].

(On a more serious note - I don't see how using *paper* is a good idea for such data. Except maybe in the case of very temporary data - such as a rented movie. Or perhaps an ad flyer. It has promise for temporary data storage, but really, for permanent data you want it carved in stone. Or burned onto steel...)

6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    So if I understand this correctly...your "drive" would basically be a high res printer/scanner? Sounds rather large. :bad: I'd rather opt for holographic storage. :bigeyes: :rolling:

7. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

It would be good for a business card. If you wanted you're client to have more information on your products or services, you could have a tonne of high res images and movies about it. Perhaps a lower res version would be more feasable. It would be great if you could print even say 1Gb on a piece of paper and be able to read it with a regular scanner and a third party application. Supplying your mate with the latest WOW update would be a whole lot cheaper (and easier if you could mail it).

[edit] the counter-argument actually made a lot of sense, bit of a pity, it had me excited for a minute.

[ November 30, 2006, 07:20: Message edited by: Stu ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.