1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Music of Choice on SP

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Fly2tHeSkY, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

AHHHH! Now I see what HB is referring to! Yes I agree though, quite pointless.

2. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    I listen stoner-rock (shut up HB! :D ), metal, 60'/70' hippie music and jazz(the Billy Cobham-type).
    Also some (real)hip-hop I listened a couple of years back (De La Soul, Dead Prez, Outkast) and can't get out of my head.

3. Fly2tHeSkY

HAHAHAHA!!! I bet HB is gonna love that :D

What would you classify Gnarls Barkley HB? He sings that "crazy" song btw. I don't know if he's rnb but I don't think soooo ...

4. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    For me to like some type of music it has to be innovative and well done. So jazz and classical are my favourite categories which include a wide variety of artists and sub-categories that I like, and have very few exceptions that I'd have to exlude.

Anything resembling the pop-songs you hear a lot on the Eurovision Song Contest is strictly out of the question. French chansons and their like are ok, but any pop-song done by a swede or trying to sound like one is just horrible. Guess why I don't like Britney or Backstreet Boys that much?

Nothing against swedes, just their way of making pop music. Their rock bands, like Kent, are quite good.

I have an extensive collection of Tom Waits albums, Faith No More and other music with Mike Patton. Depeche Mode is fantastic and so's Nine Inch Nails. Always liked U2, but I've got only one of their albums and one single.

Always had a respect for Bruce Dickinson, he's got large lungs for a relatively small guy. Maybe it's just the breathing technique :hmm:

The list of the music I like would be almost endless, so I'll not make this post any longer.

5. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Gnarls Barkley would be Soul.

6. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Harbs sometimes these sub, sub genres are needed to distinguish between certain styles and to articulate the different styles of a band (or group or performer).
    Just to use Chandos the Red's last post as an example, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin are both defined as Classic rock. This is true for both bands, despite having very different styles of music. There would be people out there who are only interested in the heavier bands of this exceedingly large genre.

There's also the problem of bands that perform a somewhat hybrid mix of two genre's, Rage Against the Machine and 28 days come to mind here. More dificult still are bands that progress and evolve their style from one genre to another. An example of this would be Silverchair, beginning with a much heavier grunge sound than the much softer melodic style of their more recent works.

I have no problem if someone wants to classify a band as classic english prog rock, or whatever, provided it is an accurate depiction of the music.

Just my two cents.

Kinda back on topic, I've been listening to a lot of Audioslave recently as well as a bit of Taxiride.

7. Fly2tHeSkY

Hehe that's true Stu :) I guess it's ok ONLY when they provide the accurate description for that particular artist.

Thanks Fab ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.