1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Music of Choice on SP

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Fly2tHeSkY, Sep 14, 2006.

1. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

No because blues is an older genre than rock. The first rock song ever (Rock around the clock) was released in 1948 IIRC, while black bluesmen have been recording music since 1920s and maybe earlier.

2. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Thanks BOC, that was exactly my point.

Harbs, you listed most of the major genres, but there are a few others you simply can't ignore for your own convenience. People always want to put stuff in boxes, which is cool, but impossible for a lot of music. You don't need to know every subgenre, but there are a few major genres missing on your list.

3. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Can someone list all the major genres and then the sub genres that branch out from these?

I don't want to do it wrong and get yelled at :)

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

But it's still essentially the same thing, therefore I put in the same genre. We could call it something different, if that helps.

My main point is a back lash against the ridiculous array of infinite sub-genres that many people claim exist, that are just as unhelpful as my minimalist version.

5. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Rock was influenced by blues or ,as many support, was originated from blues but they are not the same thing. Claiming that they are the same thing is like saying that humans and monkeys are the same thing because both are mammals and because humans are coming from apes.

As far as genres and sungenres are concerned, like it or not they are necessery in many cases, if you want to describe the music of an artist. Let’s take two 70s bands Sex Pistols and Emerson Lake And Palmer. Both are 70s bands and both belong to the broader genre of rock but when someone talks about Sex Pistols, he calls them a punk rock band, while when someone talks about ELP, he calls them a progressive rock band. This is happening because the differences between their music are so great that if you want to describe them right you have to do this separation. When ELP took music to the extreme and made it as complex as possible searching for perfection, Sex Pistols took the completely opposite way and presented a music based on simplicity and minimalism. If you simply say that both are playing rock music, you are saying absolutely nothing to someone who doesn't know them.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Giving them labels like "Progressive rock" also says absolutely nothing to someone who doesn't know them. If you like Emerson Lake and Palmer, then you should say "I like Emerson Lake and Palmer", not invent a restrictive label to describe them. Because even if there is another band that you think also fits in the category of Progressive Rock, they might be crap, so you couldn't even say "I like Progressive Rock", because you'd only like some of it.

Not to mention the fact that as the sub genres become more and more granular, you get more arguments over how they are defined (witness the pointless debates in the Metal thread about whether a certain band is Death, Speed, Thrash, Acid, Bongo, or Slime Metal)

It's not the same as humans and monkeys because I can genetically prove that you are not a monkey, whereas musical genres are just made up ideas.

7. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    HB: You clearly have a very narrow span of music you listen to. There are many more genre's than you list. Just to name/rename a few:

Blues
    Jazz
    Folk
    Country (although I'll also combine Western in this)
    Opera (certainly not the same as the classic you mention)
    Gospel
    Choral (crosses into gospel and classic)

You can also find distinctly ethnic music in all areas of the world.

Likewise, many classic fans would consider there to be several genre's within the classics themselves.

Although I do agree with you on the sub-genre thing (I'm partial to southern rock myself). And to call Scorpions and AC/DC classic rock is sacrilege.

8. Harbourboy

I would count most Country and Western as Rock, but with a cowboy accent.

On the contrary, my genres are more all-embracing and wider than the super narrow genres that other people refer to.

I'd put Folk under my Easy Listening genre.

9. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Much to horror of C&W and rock fans everywhere. :D Although rock, C&W, folk and jazz would all be offshoots of blues.

I don't know, my parents are folk music nuts -- I've never found it easy to listen to....

10. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Does anyone listen to RnB? Yeah, baby! I am a BIG RnB fan. Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Stylistics, O'Jays, Spinners, etc. I like most Motown and Atlantic from the 60's and 70's. Obviously the funky stuff too. Ohio Players, Sly and the Family Stone, Barry White, Isaac Hayes, Mr. Curtis Mayfield, etc.

I'm also into rock from the same era: Jimi, the Doors, the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Neil Young, etc.
    Heavy stuff too, particularly AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Led Zepellin, Deep Purple.
    Prog rock: The Moody Blues, Yes, King Crimson, ELP, (early) Genesis

And Jazz. I have more Miles Davis albums than any other artist (second is Earth, Wind and Fire). John Coltrane is great. I like Jobim (beautiful). Billy Cobham.

11. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

That's Soul, dammit! :mad:

@Mesmero: I know that Mr. Hooker - may he rest in peace (well, most likely not ;) ) - played Boogie. Well, he invented it. But I even consider Van Morrison R&B, despite him playing cheesy elevator music. It's more of a broad genre description.

But calling the modern fart soul like Usher or Mariah Carey R&B is like compairing John Williams to Mozart or Bach (and that's a nice comparison). The music may contain some similar elements but does not reach the heights of even Van Morrison or Gary Moore.

12. Harbourboy

R&B is more a skin colour than a musical genre, if the Grammies are anything to go by.

13. Fly2tHeSkY

Try modern RnB

14. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    /me hangs his head in shame
    How could I forget to mention Jack Funk?! :o

About Gospel:
    How do you people see Gospel. I bet many of us would see it as the famous enthusiastic, handclapping, black swinging mama, "Oh happy days" music.
    To me it's any kind of music that 'brings the Gospel'. From the Classic mattheus passion to the pop-rock of Genesis, from the swinging Gospel-choirs to the RnB of Mary Mary and from the progressive metal/rock opera of Saviour Machine to the praise of Michael W. Smith (I really don't fancy the last one, btw).

15. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31

16. Fly2tHeSkY

There's a lot of old RnB on that list, there's a lot more of it these days though. VERY good music :p

17. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31

True. There is a lot of good new music, in all genres. :)

18. T2Bruno

Media:
    Except Rap (did I mention I don't like Rap?).

19. Atmer

Atmer Wandering... Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Here are some of my favorites...

Brazilian popular music: Caetano, Chico Buarque, Elis Regina, Tom Jobim, João Gilberto, Cartola...
    Latin singers/songwriters: Silvio Rodríguez, Mercedes Sosa, Pablo Milanés, Violeta Parra...
    Blues: Muddy Waters, B.B. King, John Lee Hooker, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Johnny Winter, Blind Willie Johnson...
    Classic Rock: Beatles, Pink Floyd, Cream, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Deep Purple...

And a little bit of everything else, I've ever heard.

Edit:
    Oh, I almost forgot...

T2Bruno: Count me in, cause I don't like rap either ;)

[ September 20, 2006, 21:06: Message edited by: Atmer ]

20. Harbourboy

The most dominant denizens of my iPod are:

The Beatles (about 12 albums worth)
    Billy Joel (about 10 albums)
    Alanis Morrisette (4 albums)
    Heather Nova (3 albums)
    Hayley Westenra (3 albums)
    Elton John (2 albums)
    Frank Sinatra (1 album)
    Coldplay (1 album)
    Classical music (2 albums)
    Bruce Springsteen (1 album)
    Movie soundtracks (4 albums)
    Van Morrison (1 album)
    John Lee Hooker (1 album)
    Preston Shannon (1 album)
    Cat Stevens (1 album)
    Duran Duran (1 album)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.