1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mushrooms Growing On North Korea

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Late-Night Thinker, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    for some reason, i dont think that is going to prevent anyone from using nukes.

as ive said before, the US has the most terrifying weapons in the world, and have shown their willingness to use them in war.

2. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I dare say the US isn't willing to use them. They're the ultimate 'last-resort'. The only time anyone in the US would use them willingly would be if humanity was threatened by something that nukes could be used against... a comet or whatever, sci-fi goons will go crazy over the things they could be used against but obviously the probability of such a thing happening is minute, yet not impossible.

As for the US being willing to use nukes? Once maybe, but I don't think they will be ever again.

3. Old One

Old One The Old Warrior Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

If we (the US) were willing to just use nukes Russia wound have gone up in '56 and Iran now. Someone for sure would think -if NK wants nukes, lets give them one of our best and bigest. We scared ourselves when we saw what they did. We have had them for about 60 years and never, no matter what came up used them again. We had until the 50's when we were the ONLY country with them and still never repeted that horror. How many other countries would show that restraint?

4. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

I heard on the radio this morning that there are some indications that it was a failure - i.e the bomb didn't go into "nuclear" mode, just a straight forward explosion. Can't find anything online at the moment though.

5. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Testing nuclear bombs is kinda wierd "Oh, THAT would have been a good one" ;)

6. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Article VI of the NPT states that countries should be disarming "under strict and effective international control." US still has 9,960 (5,735 active) Warheads, with Russia at 16,000 (5,830 active).

I agree with Argohir's statment. No one at all should posses such weapons - there is simply no point. But as long as a small group of countries (US, UK, Russia, France and China - including those who have not signed the NPT - Israel, India and Pakistan) are allowed to have such weapons, North Korea also should have such rights.

7. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

As long as you are in the US nuclear club, the NPT need not apply.

Is they why Bush has threatened to use 'bunker busters' in Iran? If torture is okay by him, why would nuclear weapons be a concern? He has already proven many times how little he cares for non-US civillians.

[ October 10, 2006, 15:51: Message edited by: Cúchulainn ]

8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The treaty says the countries will pursue negotiations in good faith to a cessation of the nuclear arms race and to treaties for nuclear disarmament. Both have occurred, though you are right that the "complete disarmament" has not yet.

The DPRK has those rights as long as they are not part of the treaty; if they are then they do not. The problem is, they were part of the treaty until they were caught cheating multiple times, then they withdrew.

And what do you mean exactly?

And has this happened? No.

9. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I just can't look at that guy and not chuckle... 'Oh, hewwo!'

10. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    and the US would have followed if they attempted to nuke russia

11. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

not relevant, but infact The US is the only country ever to have used nukes after an attack, they did it twice.

12. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Yes, but our nukes are democratic nukes; likewise, our radioactive fallout is, well, freedom fallout.

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Why does USA need 10,000 nuclear warheads? Surely once you get past about 5, it doesn't make any difference any more.

14. Atmer

Atmer Wandering... Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Freedom at last. ;)

I believe, that like everyone who owns Nuclear Weapons NK will only use it as an intimidation/bargain tool. That doesn’t mean that they would never use it, but that they are as likely as using it as anyone else is. I believe that any country would use it if they feel they are in verge of destruction or other similar fate.

IMO, those weapons are a rather simple defensive strategy, and the bad thing is that it’ll work, thus making other countries prone to do the same.

15. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Well, if you look how many cities there are on this planet, Harbourboy. Just think, each one of them could be harbouring terrorists and WoMD. I think it's best that they are prepared for all occasions.

I don't like all this talk on placing further sanctions on North Korea. What can possibly be achieved by them? Sure, prehaps there are some small immediate gains, but in the long run surely nothing useful will be achieved.

16. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Don't forget the depleted uranium shells used by the USA either.

17. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Nothing useful for whom? If it leads to the collapse of the current regime, then I'd say the long-term gains for the people of North Korea could be immense. Or do you think the people of the DPRK are better off than their cousins to the south?

Such a collapse would be a disaster in the short term, especially for China, which is why China has not been heavy handed with the DPRK. Hopefully they have been shamed and embarassed enough by Pyongyang and will be willing to do something now.

What does that have to do with the topic?

18. Old One

Old One The Old Warrior Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

and the US would have followed if they attempted to nuke russia

Thats why I said 56'. Russia had no nukes before that if i remember right. When they announced the did (with the fist shaking) and Russias leaders famous "WE WILL BURY YOU" it was the US that shook its head and did not react to the provication. As far as the current wars are concerned don't fly planes into our buildings, yes we did strike blind and sorry about that. Japan found out we don't like supprises too. The US has spent Billions in world aid, helped rebuild nations after WWII, sent food, medics and lifegiving drugs to many nations. We never had a Stallin, Hitler, Pol Pot, or purges that killed millions. This country has a problem with people killing our citizens though and I admit it sends us overboard. I am one of our citizens who think we need to leave every country who doesn't want us there. I think the factions in each country should be free to kill each other off if they want to. This country is so bad that Canada has a 3300 hundred mi border that is undefended. Unfortunatly we just might fence the southern border with Mexico because we have about 12 million Spanish americans (just meaning from the americas, not a cut) who for some reason want to live in this rotten place. By the way, we did use conventional weapon "bunker busters" left over from Nam. I noticed that some of the most serious cuts are comming from an area "UK". Heck if that includes England itself You invaded US and burned part of the White House before the fire was put out! Forgive my rant, does anyone come fron a country that has never screwed up? Or one that has spent more on aid in the last 100 years? Flame away!
    Sorry, had to add this ps, most of our nukes are 40+ years old and out of date but what the he!! do you do with them? Donate them to Iran?

19. Rotku

Prehaps my longterm/shortterm comment wasn't the best.

Surely these sanctions are exactly what has forced North Korea into this position? Here we have a country, almost completely issolated from the rest of the world. They're carrying out secret weapon construction and god knows what else. If you put sanctions on, sure, give it a while and it might lead to the fall of their government. But what you are doing is further isolating this playground bully. They're bound to leap out from their corner, if isolated much further. A cornered animal is much more likely to resort to despreate measures than one who has a path of escape.

So what is the best method? I really don't know. Ideally, I guess you would want to try and feed aid into the region, in attempts to educate their people and raise the living standards. An educated population are a much bigger threat to an oppresive government than a nuclear weapon is. But then given the strong hold Kim has over his people, the actions may prove a lot more difficult than words.

20. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    What do you think China and South Korea have been doing? And what did they get in return? A great big F-you.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.